WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    THX for the pix. I don't take that much stuff car camping!
    You probably would if you were going for 21 days

Journal Entries
    Images

Tippi seems more hikers on this trip...Thats awesome.How was it good? Your trips have always been different compared to everyone else varying route that aligns with other trails. Whens the next one so I can catch your next trip report...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    "What's your most important piece of gear?" I should've pointed to my Willing Heart to Be Outdoors....
    Love this.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I always love your trip reports - thanks once again for sharing. Just curious - how do you kill the time when weathered in on a zero day out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I always love your trip reports - thanks once again for sharing. Just curious - how do you kill the time when weathered in on a zero day out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really like tent-living especially during bad storms so it's not hard for me to pull zero days.
    ** Listen to radio.
    ** Read books (and later burn books).
    ** Look at my camera trip pics.
    ** Write copious crap in my trail journal.
    ** Do yoga meditation.
    ** Snack---eat cooked meals.
    ** Study my topo maps.
    ** Walk around from camp on dayhikes.

I can certainly see the appeal, I would imagine you are more immersed in your surroundings than a hiker crushing miles. Nothing wrong with either.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I can certainly see the appeal, I would imagine you are more immersed in your surroundings than a hiker crushing miles. Nothing wrong with either.
    The main purpose of my trips is to not cover tremendous miles on a linear long trail but to stay out as long as possible without resupply and explore one geographical area on intricate loops.

Mr. Tipi,you have always had my respect.I totally understand your style.Where does one get roll up books?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Mr. Tipi,you have always had my respect.I totally understand your style.Where does one get roll up books?
    "Book Rolls" are simply home-printed reading material gathered from the internet and copied on typing paper from a printer on both sides of the paper and rolled up and secured with rubber bands. And then burned after reading during the course of a trip.

"Book Rolls" are simply home-printed reading material gathered from the internet and copied on typing paper from a printer on both sides of the paper and rolled up and secured with rubber bands. And then burned after reading during the course of a trip.
    Now that's a great idea!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Wouldn't a Kindle be lighter and ultimately cheaper & less wasteful?
    Be Prepared

I'll stick with burnable paper.

Back when I was younger, we could buy these cools things we called books that were often printed on pretty light weight paper using both sides and bound along one edge too keep the pages together and in order. They required an external light source, so now I generally prefer my phone as a reading platform. But compared to the time and expense of printing at home, I'll bet those books things might work pretty well if you can find them anymore with the content you want to read in them. Heck, I recall going into stores that were entirely dedicated to just selling books. Many of them were really cool stores. I don't know if any of those stores still exist today.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Back when I was younger, we could buy these cools things we called books that were often printed on pretty light weight paper using both sides and bound along one edge too keep the pages together and in order. They required an external light source, so now I generally prefer my phone as a reading platform. But compared to the time and expense of printing at home, I'll bet those books things might work pretty well if you can find them anymore with the content you want to read in them. Heck, I recall going into stores that were entirely dedicated to just selling books. Many of them were really cool stores. I don't know if any of those stores still exist today.
    In my opinion the internet has replaced your local library and/or bookstore and has become a vast library of information for anyone with online access. Therefore I can bookmark a wide variety of subjects not available in a single book---wikipedia is a huge resource---and copy/print stuff I find momentarily interesting to read on my backpacking trips. All I have to do is ask the right questions on google.

Journal Entries
    Images

I still use my local libray and take books on backpacking trips from them.I also signout guide books for parks from them. Some quide books are pretty decnt.I borrowed one for all the hikes and trails in shenandoah...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Default Books-A-Million

Oh don't get me wrong. Wouldn't be caught dead w/ a Kindle or any such obscenity. But I don't really read on the trail either.
    Here's a pic from the museum @ the Naval Weapons Lab in CA:
    IMG_5914.jpg
    Be Prepared

I see this increasingly as my hiking future. We recently moved to Virginia from Maryland but looked long and hard at Tellico Plains largely for the many parks and forests.
    I so look forward to your excellent trip reports and hope you continue for a long time.

The main purpose of my trips is to not cover tremendous miles on a linear long trail but to stay out as long as possible without resupply and explore one geographical area on intricate loops.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tippi planning on any trips to greyson Highlands this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    I see this increasingly as my hiking future. We recently moved to Virginia from Maryland but looked long and hard at Tellico Plains largely for the many parks and forests.
    I so look forward to your excellent trip reports and hope you continue for a long time.
    Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Tippi planning on any trips to greyson Highlands this year?
    When I heard the Mt Rogers tent cops instituted a bear canister requirement a couple years ago my interest in returning to Grayson Highlands fell off. But it's a great backpacking destination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++