WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default PT1 - Watson Gap to OHV Staging Complete

PT1 was a great success. Started at 10pm in the rain Friday night. Walked the BMT to the Pinhoti and after some terminus pics we headed on down trail a couple miles. Ended up pitching in a not so great spot, more of a big water run off filled with leaves than a campsite...
    IMG_3075.JPG
    Man it was 30 minutes after getting in my tent that some jerkoff bear tripped and stumbled all the way over my tent! I had my earplugs in so i only felt it, but man did it make me angry! Its 1am, in the rain and this jerk hasn't even given me time to fall asleep before he is over here stepping into my stuff! I pull my ear plugs out as I feel him smash emself up against me and my tent. Like a dog that rolls in something dead and rotten. I yelled out "hey!" commotion stops....Then the sniffing. Like a dog sniff right next to my dern ear. SO I tap my tent and got hateful with em this time.... "GET OUTTA HERE BEAR!!!!!!".....More sniffing.... I said okay that is enough. That is it. As I started putting on my shoes for outside confrontation I yell it again. Meanwhile my buddy is scurrying around trying to get a tent door open to stick his headlamp out....but he is slow going in the dark. and now. Silence. And as my friend sweeps the campsite with a bright headlamp, I could collect no shadows of monsters, bigfoots or black bears."
    IMG_3086.jpg
    So after that I put my earplugs back in a slept great all night.

Saturday was around a 22 mile day and at lunch i had the great pleasure of meeting and eating lunch with Nimblewill Nomad. He is a very kind man.
    IMG_3118.jpg
    Sat night, great tent site up on Turkey mountain
    IMG_3133.jpg

sun was a lot of forest road walking and 10 miles we were back at the car. Pinhoti gave us a great first experience. Met several Thru hikers, and hikers doing the IAT from Key west to Canada

IMG_3124.jpg
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 03-24-2021 at 08:06.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

i wonder if it was a hog you heard....

Leonidas

Glad to see you got to meet Nimblewill, and it sounds like you had a great time!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Sounds like we were out there about the same time Gambit. I was doing the BMT, Springer to Ocoee and met Nimberwill at Payne Gap not long after your pic. I asked him if he was out for a day hike .

Pinhoti terminus.

IMG_0744.jpg

++ New Posts ++