WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Road Walk Around Watuaga Lake?

My map is old, I know there was a re-route around there somewhere recently. Wondering how much road walking there is between Wilbur Dam Road and 321, looks like still a couple of stretches in that area. Is it well blazed?

There are no roads between 321 and Wilbur dam. The only road I remember after crossing 321 was just after crossing the Dam. There is a re-route (many years ago) which took the trail off a short section of road and up it up on a ridge. It's easier to just do the road walk. Stupid relo to get you off a short section of road which has like zero traffic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

the road in question is gated so no vehicle traffic at all

To answer your question, [NOBO] if the lake is flooded, they will reroute you from the Shook Branch picnic area west on 321 to Oliver Hollow Rd for a short distance then back onto the trail which follows the lake shore around and then you will have a road walk right before you get to the dam, then across the dam, then up the hill almost to the top before the trail turns back into the woods. A short walk thru the woods brings you to Wilbur Dam Rd. My guess is a total of about a mile. Lone Wolf will know better than I.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used to live near Watauga Lake and just walked that section last weekend.

FYI - A NO IDLE RECREATION or CAMPING Rule from 321 to Wilbur Dam Road is in place. And Watauga Lake Shelter is dismantled.

SOBO - The gap on Wilbur Dam Road. Walk uphill to the Access Road and over the dam.
    Then you will start being more in more wooded areas along the lakeshore.
    Pass the shelter site and Griffth Branch.
    Skirt around the western side of the lake below Oliver Hollow Road. Blue Blaze leads out to the road.
    Over a bridge and up the 321 roadside parking area near Shook Branch Rec Area.
    The trail then goes up Shook Branch Road (Boots Off Hostel near the trail).

The trail is highly blazed. There are a few fisherman paths (old AT) but you will meet back up to the trail.

Only during times of high lake levels, a road walk be will needed to bypass the boggy area to Oliver Hollow Road and walk into a gated path to the old fisherman camp.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

This is the re-route I was thinking of. South of the dam and 321.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/new...5b0dca613.html

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This is the re-route I was thinking of. South of the dam and 321.

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/new...5b0dca613.html
    That sounds like it's just a new way to get down off of Pine Flats down to the highway and will reconnect with the current AT location around the lake at a slightly different point.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A buddy of mine who works on this local hiking club section just updated me on this.

Currently the trail (NOBO) switchbacks down from Pond Flats to Shook Branch Road. The current issue is a visibility issue of hikers crossing US321 from Shook Branch Road.

There has been some work by the ATC in acquiring adjoining property and tread work for a small reroute over a hill to align it more closely to the Shook Branch Rec Area entrance. I just saw the rough reroute and it is not complete, Delayed I think.

Other than that, if lake levels are high - Its recommend to walk in from Oliver Hollow Road
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++