We're planning a visit to Lost Cove near Burnsville, NC in early May. I've found a couple of good descriptions of the place and the trek, and a 10-yr-old WB thread.
There are apparently three ways to hike there. The most straightforward is over a mountain. Another is from the Devil's Fork Trail. The third involves following the railroad along the Nolichucky River.

My question is about this third path, which crosses the Nolichucky on a train-only bridge. I found the following on an AllTrails review:
"Keep in mind, that included a train-only bridge in the beginning of the hike that takes you over the Nolichucky. We almost got stuck on the bridge at the same time as the train on the return trip (a little hairy!!). There are grates to walk along the side of the bridge but the rough water flowing below is clearly visible and not for folks who are afraid of heights! (It's also technically trespassing to walk along the tracks/bridge)."

I really don't want to play chicken with a freight train on a narrow bridge over a cold rough river!!! But sometimes things are exaggerated. I'm hoping someone here has accurate information so we can evaluate the three options and choose the one that's best for our group.

Specifically I'm wondering, do those grates on the side of the bridge include a rail? And is there a solid place to walk between the RR ties, or is it just open air to the water below? Any idea of the length of the bridge, or time it takes to cross?