WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Greasy Creek Hostel apparently closed

This past weekend I hiked from Roan Mt. to Erwin. Apparently the hostel is closed. I encountered several thru hikers who had walked down to it expecting a place to stay after a long hike from Erwin but they were turned away. There was no sign at the gap indicating such. It was cold and wet, and yes, it is a first world problem that a hiker hostel is closed, but there were several wet hikers who were turned away in very bad weather.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If it was Connie...sure

She has had issues with a neighbor or two saying Greasy was closed.

Last year, I heard she limited the number of hikers staying at the Friendly.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I suppose it could have been that neighbor, but from the thru hiker I talked with about said some pretty specific things that makes me sure it was her, plus I briefly chatted with another couple of thu's who described the same thing. This was Saturday night after the hail storm.

From Guthooks - Looks like it is Closed but still helping hikers with mail and rides

GCF.jpg
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm not surprised. It's kind of amazing she kept it going as long as she did.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm not surprised. It's kind of amazing she kept it going as long as she did.
    Me too. I stayed there once during a summer - sometime around 2008-2010 when the neighbor had the lights up and blasting NPR. When I stopped by there 2017 or 18 that situation had abated but things seemed on the edge. It was a quirky little out of the way place and she seems like a kind person at heart, but .6 downhill and so close to Erwin would make it difficult for any hostel.

The place gives me the creeps. I ended and started 2 section hikes from there due to a partner quitting on me, was supposed to go to Erwin and that would have bypassed some unique memories the place created. But im okay not going back

Now CC was very nice, but the place/ neighbor were still creepy
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The place gives me the creeps. I ended and started 2 section hikes from there due to a partner quitting on me, was supposed to go to Erwin and that would have bypassed some unique memories the place created. But im okay not going back

Now CC was very nice, but the place/ neighbor were still creepy

Creepy how??

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Creepy how??
    If blaring NPR doesn't give you the heebie jeebies......

Leonidas

I remember walking down from the AT to Greasy Creek Friendly and thinking I might have been on a set from Deliverance.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I remember walking down from the AT to Greasy Creek Friendly and thinking I might have been on a set from Deliverance.
    There is the faint sound of Banjo's in the distance...

I hiked NC in the late 80's and that was about as close to being in a 3d world country as I'll ever get. Crossing into VA, the difference was stark. CC's place is a bit of throw back to that era of Appalachia.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

"Butterfly fingers! Butterflies won't fly in bad weather...Roan is a 3 Snickers hike." She'd see you out with blessings.

Easily, hands down the most interesting and confusing part of my thru. Snowed in for zero on sabbath. All alone with her and Gadget.

She was kind and gracious and gave me awkward memories that I won't forget...but dang.

Thanks, CC

Journal Entries

Sad to see it go, not to mention the new roof we helped get a few years back will not be used to shelter the hikers anymore. It was one of the classic stays on the AT, Connie is a hoot.

Also a question, are hostels generally closing down on trail? It seems like every so often we hear about one closing. Or are some closing others opening, basically a wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Also a question, are hostels generally closing down on trail? It seems like every so often we hear about one closing. Or are some closing others opening, basically a wash?
    It's funny, I was just thinking yesterday about the new hostels that I see mentioned that did not exist when I hiked thru there. I think you hit it--it is probly a wash, some closed, some new. I don't have time to research it but I have no doubt that someone here will.

I think this is all part of the ebb and flow of commerce overall. One business closes, one opens with new amenities, and so on. Kind of like the commerce history of interstate travel through rural communities followed by leisure travel attractions and accommodations. The human capacity to recognize omnipresent business opportunities, even if just seasonal will continue merrily on. Some will fail, others thrive until their turn comes.

We got there around 10 AM in 2018. Only one person was awake,we did not intend to stay. This guy handed me a sheet of paper with prices and went back to bed. We picked up a couple of sodas and ice cream bars,left the money on the kitchen counter and hiked on. Long walk for a soda..

It was pricey as I remember but she was super cool. I didn't stay just stopped for a little extra resupply for bad weather over the Roan Highlands and what would surely take me 2 nights over the one I was going to push for. I bought a frozen burger from her (maybe 2) and you could use the microwave but then she said she could make it her special way... where she toasts the bun and just does the burger in the microwave so a nice crisp instead of a soggy roll : ) Then I got a frozen breakfast sandwich before I left that she did the same way. Filled up and got some necessary extra snacks then the dreaded haul back uphill. I think I even brought a Pepsi to treat myself to when I got back up to the AT.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries
    Images

I think it all comes down to cost of operation and amendities, Do you actuallyknow how to operate a business.
    Then you have the overal upkeep to the property a regular house is 15% per year on upkeep..SO a business with traffic has to be higher..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

I stayed there 7 or 8 years ago on a section hike. Thought it was a great place and well run. The two biggest drawbacks were the strange neighbor and the distance from the AT. For me, the walk was worth it. Sad to hear that they closed.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

++ New Posts ++