WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where My Section-Hikers AT?!?!

Is there an ongoing list of section-hikers anywhere? I see the "Class of..." thread for thru-hikers, but can't seem to find a board/forum for section-hikers?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's what you're looking for

There's a Facebook{R} group that might interest you
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Sometimes I'll post info only here, sometimes only there, occasionally at both places. One time when I did the latter, another person noted that "two" people seemed to have the same adventure at the same time. My response was, "Really? Some day I'll have to meet that other guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    There's a Facebook{R} group that might interest you
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/179997858744135/

Sometimes I'll post info only here, sometimes only there, occasionally at both places. One time when I did the latter, another person noted that "two" people seemed to have the same adventure at the same time. My response was, "Really? Some day I'll have to meet that other guy!"
    Thanks! Just joined that group...

So did I thanks
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I clicked the link and nothing came up on Facebook. Took me a minute to realize that's the Facebook group I was unceremoniously banned from years ago when I suggested that the admins might make a comment explaining why they locked threads rather than deleting them without a word. Apparently that was over the line.
    Section Hikers.png

Quote Originally Posted by The_House_Husband View Post
    Is there an ongoing list of section-hikers anywhere? I see the "Class of..." thread for thru-hikers, but can't seem to find a board/forum for section-hikers?
    Isn't that what this entire forum mostly is? or were you wanting exclusivity?

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Isn't that what this entire forum mostly is? or were you wanting exclusivity?
    Hey Seatbelt, I just joined this forum the other day and only saw headings with "thru-hiker" in them. If this forum is mostly section-hikers, would you be so kind as to show me a list of section-hikers and what section they are on? No need for the childish baiting...

Hey Seatbelt, I just joined this forum the other day and only saw headings with "thru-hiker" in them. If this forum is mostly section-hikers, would you be so kind as to show me a list of section-hikers and what section they are on? No need for the childish baiting...
    It was considered in the past but it was felt that the distinction of section-hiking was often secondary or not relevant to many of the thread topics. And yes, I know that often applies to thruhiking too but we didn't want to break up the forum listing into thruhiking, section-hiking, and others at the top level of the hierarchy. There are some topics that have particular emphasis to thruhikers but aren't we all just hikers at heart?

Your idea about a listing for section hikers has merit although in general section hikers seem to be a bit more humble knowing that they are in it for the long haul and not exactly out for the cachet of a thruhike. I do believe we have a 2000 miler listing somewhere.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I clicked the link and nothing came up on Facebook. Took me a minute to realize that's the Facebook group I was unceremoniously banned from years ago when I suggested that the admins might make a comment explaining why they locked threads rather than deleting them without a word. Apparently that was over the line.
    Section Hikers.png
    @CalebJ those AT Facebook Groups are awful. The main one and the section hiker one are run by the same folks. You are absolutely right that the moderators are extremely heavy handed over there and are constantly locking threads for no apparent reason. They'll stop a good discussion right in its tracks when they feel a thread has run its course. The result of this is that the forum is over-represented with like-seekers who post pics, most often a short hike from a major trailhead. If you post a valid question, you stand a good chance of being told to use the search function and having your thread locked. They think they're AT gods, but in reality are poor ambassadors of the trail.
    It is what it is.

Anything you need know about hiking is here on Whiteblaze.
    Who wants to be controlled by big tech! This is the only social media I'm involved in .
    You have to start getting pretty stupid before they shut you down around here. And yes I've been pretty stupid a couple times.

I agree with JNI64...this is the best hiking forum I've ever been a part of. Amazing it's still going strong with all the social media around to take away members. Facebook killed a couple fishing forums I was a part of...sad to see them dwindle away, it was really a brotherhood at one point.
    It is what it is.

I think you might have misread my intention, I should have worded it a little differently I guess, I assure you that no baiting was intended. I agree that there is no actual listing of section-hikers here, although there is a section where they can enter a photo.
    What was intended to say was that the vast majority of input on these threads is from section hikers, thus it is mostly a section hiker forum. Just my take on it.

To the OP, welcome to White Blaze! It can take a while on the Board to figure one's way around and the rich cast of characters that appear here.

To your issue regarding section hikers, I tend to agree with Seatbelt. Most information shared in this forum, apply to and benefit section hikers (and day hikers as well), even headings that include thru-hiker issues. The issue of an annual section hiker listing does have merit, though I am not sure how to start that beyond starting a thread that allows people to add their names, trails, and sections they are attempting during a given calendar year. I'm sure if the OP is interested in helping with this, moderators can help set something up.

As an aside, JPritch brings up a good point. White Blaze is one of very few forums that shuns politics, which in my view is one of the keys to a successful activity forum. Other forums I have been party to were not moderated well and allowed politics to run rampant, which is the death knell for these platforms. Unlike many forums, White Blaze is very well moderated and in my view moderators are sometimes under-appreciated in all they do to help keep the focus on our shared activities, their success measured by the absence of problems, a difficult metric. Such is not the case on Facebook and other corporate sponsored forums that use dollar volume as the only metric of success, in so doing, allow misinformation and politics to rule the roost and the problems that brings.

Moderators perform this relatively thankless task to keep the unnecessary social detritus out while maintaining an atmosphere of full expression in pursuing issues important to our community, even though we may occasionally get a thumb in an eye along the way, usually stemming from printed word interpretation not being the intended message. I think you will find this forum to be high caliber and interested in what new members along with old members have to say.

Well, we just did some more of Pennsylvania. https://adrr.com/d20/2021/04/02/pennsylvania/

Thanks Seatbelt. Sometimes it is hard to read the intentions. I thought it might be interesting if people were hiking similar sections to help them find other hikers in similar areas. There does seem to be a hiker meet up space for something similar. Have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It was considered in the past but it was felt that the distinction of section-hiking was often secondary or not relevant to many of the thread topics. And yes, I know that often applies to thruhiking too but we didn't want to break up the forum listing into thruhiking, section-hiking, and others at the top level of the hierarchy. There are some topics that have particular emphasis to thruhikers but aren't we all just hikers at heart?

Your idea about a listing for section hikers has merit although in general section hikers seem to be a bit more humble knowing that they are in it for the long haul and not exactly out for the cachet of a thruhike. I do believe we have a 2000 miler listing somewhere.
    Thanks Alligator. I agree, we are all just hikers at heart. It would be neat to see a listing of section-hikers, where they are, how many miles they have done, etc. when they're going out on their next hike... maybe a place where folks could meet up and ride-share if they are in similar areas. I believe other forum topics have similar aims...

Images

OP, I will second that a section hiker can find anything he/she needs here, even hiking partners. You can almost say the thruhiker specific forums are thruhiker specific and everything else is just hiking. Constant stream of requests for info on particular sections in the General and Straight forward forums. This forum is heavily modded but it is what it is. In the old days here it was pretty wild west. They even started a subforum where people could beat the crap out of each other but then it kept overflowing into the regular threads.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Thanks Seatbelt. Sometimes it is hard to read the intentions. I thought it might be interesting if people were hiking similar sections to help them find other hikers in similar areas. There does seem to be a hiker meet up space for something similar. Have a great weekend!
    No problems, enjoy the site and you have a great weekend also!

Mods very appreciated!!!

Thanks Alligator. I agree, we are all just hikers at heart. It would be neat to see a listing of section-hikers, where they are, how many miles they have done, etc. when they're going out on their next hike... maybe a place where folks could meet up and ride-share if they are in similar areas. I believe other forum topics have similar aims...
    We have a thruhiker listing but I don't pay it much attention as somebody else takes care of it. Part of the reason I asked what it was for is that this wouldn't be hard to implement but then we would need a place to put plus I was also thinking to point you towards the Meet Up forum. We also have a Ride Board forum which was kind of useful for hikers heading to the same event. Sometimes it gets used then lies dormant for a while.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++