WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bannock bread I mean and I could do this on my little twig stove.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    What about bonnack bread style ?

You would need a small fire , but if it's that pasty you could remove bark from the top of a stick and make a loop or two around it and let it hang out above a fire for a few and baked muffins or pancakes and don't forget the IHOP syrup.
    That might work. Might be sticky enough not to fall into the fire.

IHOP syrup?

If I bring any syrup, it comes the the trees down the street and made in my friends Sugar house
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Great conversation and ideas guys! Looks like placing a pan within a pan of boiling water is the way to go. Can't wait to give some of these a try. I don't mind the extra carry for shorter trips. Someone this past weekend out in Shenandoah was cooking an omelet in a small frying pan over a fire. Got me thinking hard about that too!
    It is what it is.

Zelph, have you tried using an Empty Fancy Feast can as a muffin baking pan? I heard that you have a few empty cans lying around.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I use these large silicone cupcake cups. One fits just fine in a narrow 800ml jet boil or wide 450 ml Toaks pot. I space it off the bottom with a bent piece of aluminum wire. With the solo Jetboil it uses about 3 grams of fuel to simmer for 14 minutes. I buy various “just add water cupcake and muffin mixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What pot are you using in the photo above with three silicone cups?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    What pot are you using in the photo above with three silicone cups?
    It's the Jetboil 1.5 liter pot (the current model is a bit different). Diameter is 6.5". Silicone cups are 2.5" at base, 3.5" at top.

I think I bought them from https://www.packitgourmet.com/BakingKit.html
    The silicone "trivet" is very heavy. I cut a bunch of extra holes and it was still heavy. I made a few substitutes from pie pans. For just one cup in a narrow pot I made a trivet from a piece of aluminum wire. An upside-down catfood can with some holes cut out works too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Zelph, have you tried using an Empty Fancy Feast can as a muffin baking pan? I heard that you have a few empty cans lying around.
    Never tried that because I need BIG muffins. I no longer have any empty cans, all have been converted to stoves for the summer months. Only time will tell if I will make any more.

Images

When we go car camping, use big pans and steam for big treats. Lots of pages to read in the thread on my website.

http://bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=20...a38c0&start=10

Journal Entries

I typically carry a small frying pan, which I use for frying and "baking," which is just pancake-style cooking. I've used cornbread mix and muffin mix. I bring some stick margarine, and a small spatula. Yum yum.

We found our favorite, readily available mix for steam-baked muffins was the Betty Crocker Just Add Water Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix. Cornbreads were good but dry if you don't have a lot of butter and honey. Some of the hearty pancake mixes are good too.

If you're prepping at home just use a recipe or box mix and replace wet ingredients with dry. Instead of oil use 33% more (by weight) Hoosier Hill Farms Real Butter Powder. This is actual butter and contains 72% butterfat by weight. I don't have great success with powdered eggs so I would skip eggs. The butter powder and powdered milk add a lot of protein and the consistency seems ok.

To top cornbread or pancakes... Use more Hoosier Hill Farms Real Butter Powder. Mix with (real) maple sugar or (real) powdered honey. Hoosier Hill makes that too.

My kids and I decided that we could skip the muffins and just eat the maple butter...

Remember, It's all about the CALORIES! Powdered butter is backpacking superfood.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I typically carry a small frying pan, which I use for frying and "baking," which is just pancake-style cooking. I've used cornbread mix and muffin mix. I bring some stick margarine, and a small spatula. Yum yum.
    IMUSA has some small, lightweight cookware that is good for backpack cooking. Look in the ethnic foods sections of grocery stores, or:

https://www.target.com/p/imusa-mini-...4&gclsrc=3p.ds

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Shug has some videos on dry baking on various stoves, have you ever seen any of his videos on this?

Do you like any of the ideas suggested?
    His ideas work really well. I use the small bundt type pan shown in his video along with the Fancee Feest stove.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=42nCgENAmeA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++