WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any success using 1-minute pancake/muffin/cookie in a cup mix?

I see a bunch of these different breakfast and dessert items in a cup, just add water and microwave one minute. They are individually packaged, very lightweight, and apparently taste good. Just wondering if anybody has found a way to make them work on trail? They call for microwaving at home, so I'm not sure if adding boiling water and holding over your stove would work or not, or perhaps cooking it in your pot.

Examples: https://www.target.com/p/kodiak-cake...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Quaker-Jemima...25583736&psc=1
    It is what it is.

Why don't you experiment at home using hot water and/or stovetop and let us know if you figure something out?

Interesting, if 1 min mash potatoes and rice etc work in freezer bags why wouldn't this ? Dump content into freezer bag at home and add boiling water, set into cozy for a few moments then get your IHOP syrup packs and enjoy.

There's also silicone cups for baking you could bake over a fire or a simmer mode on a stove.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    There's also silicone cups for baking you could bake over a fire or a simmer mode on a stove.
    I think you're on to something there. Silicone can handle baking temps, but doesn't do well with flame. I was going to test some silicone oven pads as a base for my alcohol stoves, but all I had to do was flick a bic to set them on fire.

Another option might be an anodized non-stick pot. Testing definitely required, might be tasty.

Images

Some of you might remember this muffin mix:

My mix is made up of 1 box chocolate cake mix and 1 box angel food cake mix combined. (my "basic" mix)

To make a muffin I use:

4 tablespoons "basic mix"

2.5 tablespoons of water

Mix in snack size ziplock, cut corner of ziploc and squeeze out mix into greased bake pan. I used coconut oil to grease the pan.

Put 1/2" water in Imusa Mug, bring to boil, place pan on top of mug, put lid on, bake for 5 min.

Remove pan from mug and let cool/rest

Sprinkle w/powdered sugar....enjoy

The stainless steel pan has some holes punched near the top rim to allow steem to enter above the cake mix.

This photo ahows where the steam holes are located:

Last edited by zelph; 04-01-2021 at 22:54.

I'd try making the batter by pouring boiling water in the cup the mix is packaged in - it's tough enough to go in the microwave. Then "poach" the cup in a pot of hot water with a lid on the pot. It would steam the cake like a dumpling. You wouldn't get any browning, but you wouldn't get that in a microwave either.

If the package cup couldn't handle that much moisture, or if it won't fit in the pot, mix the batter in a metal coffee mug and steam it.

I'd try making the batter by pouring boiling water in the cup the mix is packaged in - it's tough enough to go in the microwave. Then "poach" the cup in a pot of hot water with a lid on the pot. It would steam the cake like a dumpling. You wouldn't get any browning, but you wouldn't get that in a microwave either. <br><br>If the package cup couldn't handle that much moisture, or if it won't fit in the pot, mix the batter in a metal coffee mug and steam it.<br><br>

Aand now that I've read Zelph's post, exactly - do what he did!

Images

If you're looking for a "browning effect" use this on top:

img_6184a.jpg

A kettle is my preferred baking tool for making one muffin/roll at a time. I use a bigger pot to bake three at a time on family trips but the taller pot doesn't brown the tops as well.

img_6185a.jpg

I dry bake using a silicone mold that has a support under it to keep it from melting to the bottom.

img_6190a.jpg

You can see actual browning on the top and bottom which you don't get from steam baking.

Generally I make either blueberry muffins or plain biscuits, but seeing Zelph's choco muffin recipe makes me think I need to branch out
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    If you're looking for a "browning effect" use this on top:

do you guys still get the old nutella? in germany the mix has changed some time ago. it tastes different and its a much lighter brown now. the old stuff from your picture was much better.

i used it instead of chocolate in cakes.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Images

I have not made a recent purchase of Nutella, don't know about a change in color or taste.

non stick coated steel angel food cake pan that is 3-5/8" dia. also works well for steam baking:

I have "baked" muffin mix in a freezer bag in a pot of boiling water before. I mixed up some muffin mix that only needed water in a freezer bag, sealed the bag and placed it in a pot of boiling water. The mix cooked, tasted OK but after doing it a few times I stopped. I decided it wasn't worth the time it took, the fuel used or the hassle.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Thanks for doing those baking experiments TexasBob

My test this morning with the Fancee Feest and Sterno Inferno pot told me there is insufficient air getting to the stove to operate correctly. Gives off a very pungent odor, fuel is not igniting properly. And so it goes for stove science
    Last edited by zelph; 04-02-2021 at 10:41. Reason: additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I see a bunch of these different breakfast and dessert items in a cup, just add water and microwave one minute. They are individually packaged, very lightweight, and apparently taste good. Just wondering if anybody has found a way to make them work on trail? They call for microwaving at home, ....

I'd strongly encourage you to try them at home first - and more than once. I bought a few last year, thinking, "what a great and convenient invention!" The first one was decent, OK, kind of a little different, but it was microwaved and .... By the 3rd one, I really hated them and resolved not to buy any more. They just don't taste quite right, to me. I can't explain further. Just make sure you like them before committing.

Images

Hello JPritch , what do you think of the replies so far?

I just bought one to try. After reading the instructions, I don't think just adding hot water will work. It only requires two tablespoons of water, just enough to turn it into a paste. I suppose you could eat that way, but...

To be any good it really need to be baked. The method Zelph illustrates will work. I used a donut cutter for steam baking, but due to it's small size, it was more work (time) then it was worth. The hollow cone of the donut cutter or angle food cake mold helps ensure an even bake. If you try this is in say just a smaller can which fits into your pot, the center will not cook properly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I see a bunch of these different breakfast and dessert items in a cup, just add water and microwave one minute. They are individually packaged, very lightweight, and apparently taste good. Just wondering if anybody has found a way to make them work on trail? They call for microwaving at home, so I'm not sure if adding boiling water and holding over your stove would work or not, or perhaps cooking it in your pot.

Examples: https://www.target.com/p/kodiak-cake...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Quaker-Jemima...25583736&psc=1
    Shug has some videos on dry baking on various stoves, have you ever seen any of his videos on this?

Do you like any of the ideas suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I just bought one to try. After reading the instructions, I don't think just adding hot water will work. It only requires two tablespoons of water, just enough to turn it into a paste. I suppose you could eat that way, but...

To be any good it really need to be baked. The method Zelph illustrates will work. I used a donut cutter for steam baking, but due to it's small size, it was more work (time) then it was worth. The hollow cone of the donut cutter or angle food cake mold helps ensure an even bake. If you try this is in say just a smaller can which fits into your pot, the center will not cook properly.
    What about bonnack bread style ?

You would need a small fire , but if it's that pasty you could remove bark from the top of a stick and make a loop or two around it and let it hang out above a fire for a few and baked muffins or pancakes and don't forget the IHOP syrup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++