WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NY Campsites??

Default NY Campsites??

Looking for places to camp/stay between Bear Mountain and RPH Shelter. AWOL shows the bridge at 1405 and RPH at 1430 and only a campsite (Hemlock Springs) at 1407. 23 miles is a bit of a stretch for these old legs . . .
    What are my options, to include stealth camps, hostels, hotels, back of my van at a trailhead, etc?

I think you can stay at Graymoor's and Clarence Fahnestock State park but do your research because covid changed many things

Graymoor no long allows hikers to stay at the ball field. NY is a designated sites only state, stealth camping is not allowed and is not practical. The 23 miles might seem long, but it's pretty easy once you climb out of the river valley. If you make it to Fahnestock, you might as well go the extra few miles to RPH and order a pizza delivery.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Fahnstock has usually accommodated thru hikers in some way, at one time allowing them one night camping on trail, then allowed them to camp at the beach after closing. I would contact them and ask.

For that section I went from Bear Mountain to Rt 301 and happened to run into a friend who took me in for that night. My goal was RPH, but it was longer than I expected and I was much later than I expected so was very happy for the night off trail.

Since the OP was also asking about parking at Bear mountain, this would be his first day on the trail. Hudson to RPH would be a very long day for day 1. The only legal campsite is Hemlock Springs, but it's only a couple of miles north of the river. The next option is the Fahnestock park (one night of free camping) a mile off the trail.

This section to RPH is a hike through the suburbs, the trail goes past peoples backyards.

Journal Entries

No on mentions the group area at Fahrnstock. You come right up to it at Dennnytown road. No walking the mile. Also there are a few spots along the way if you cannot make it there. I know the whole area and can get to places off the trail or not using it. If you did the trail once you don't have to keep to it. From Hemlock Spiting it's a looong day. Once you climb from Rt. 9 (a steep hike). Once you get past 301 it's a climb again.

I camped at the Dennytown site in 2019 there is a building accross the road that had a water tap. (potable)
    At the time there werr picnic tables and porta potties, grills. A large flat area. Kiosk near the water tap

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    I camped at the Dennytown site in 2019 there is a building accross the road that had a water tap. (potable)
    At the time there werr picnic tables and porta potties, grills. A large flat area. Kiosk near the water tap
    Now that you mention it, I did camp there once. Should not have set up the tent under the big tree after the thunderstorm. That was on my 10 day heatwave hike through NJ and NY. Man, was it hot.

Journal Entries

You mean the area with the pine trees? I love that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I think you can stay at Graymoor's and Clarence Fahnestock State park but do your research because covid changed many things
    Website for Fahnestock SP links to
    Camping at New York State Parks

New York State Park campsites, cabins, cottages, and yurts are currently opening as scheduled for the 2021 season.
    Effective May 15, 2021 – Columbus Day, same-day reservations will be permitted until 3pm on day of arrival. Reservations can be made online or through the call center. Walk-ins will not be permitted.
    https://newyorkstateparks.reserveame...vid-19-updates
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I believe there’s a camp site between Dennytown and RPH. Shenandoah, if memory serves.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

It is Sheneandoah. When I passed the sign to it (2019) there was a sign stating there may not be water at the pump. I passed it due to this and went to RPH

I stayed at the ball field at Graymoor on a section hike in October. Still not sure where the information is coming from that it’s no longer allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    I stayed at the ball field at Graymoor on a section hike in October. Still not sure where the information is coming from that it’s no longer allowed.

It's is the 2020 Whitepages. Maybe you weren't suppose to be there or they changed their minds?

Their site doesn't say one way or the other (the closest would be that many facilities are open to the public dawn to dusk, but that probably said the same as this was something sort of special for hikers).

info @ atonementfriars . org is the email on their site, if anyone wants to confirm information, that would probably be an easy way to do so without being too disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's is the 2020 Whitepages. Maybe you weren't suppose to be there or they changed their minds?
    There was a small sign at the trail road crossing indicating the way to the ball field, which I took as an invitation. Hope we weren’t crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    There was a small sign at the trail road crossing indicating the way to the ball field, which I took as an invitation. Hope we weren’t crashing.

Does anyone have an update on the Greymoor Center? Is it officially accepting guests? Has there been any official "no vacancy" posted?
    I got no response from the email address . . .

Default Greymoor Manor

Quote Originally Posted by smithjv View Post
    Does anyone have an update on the Greymoor Center? Is it officially accepting guests? Has there been any official "no vacancy" posted?
    I got no response from the email address . . .
    Reply from Laura at [email protected]

"Our ballfield accommodations for AT hikers are open until October."

what about west of the Hudson? Any (legal) options between Wildcat shelter and Fingerboard shelter?

Journal Entries

I camp where ever I want when the sun goes down since if I don't know what's ahead I STOP. However, I don't know who restarted this thread. The wells at many campsites have been closed by the NPS so take your chances.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++