Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
False equivalency. It's got nothing to do with whether they are safe in outdoor recreation. It's whether it is safe indoors to do so and permitted by the property owner. . .
No it is NOT! You infer that it is safe enough to use these stoves outdoors. Then, you turn around and suggest that, regardless of how safe it is (or not) using them indoors is not safe and therefore they should not be used there. You are presenting a complete double-standard with not actual data to back up your claims. AND, all the anecdotal evidence I am aware of suggests that many more people and many more dollars in property have been destroyed by wildfires started by camping stoves than have motels or people in them.

The manufacturers say not to use them indoors.
Pocketrocket
Jetboil
Do you have any understanding of combustible fuels and their differences and associated dangers? Butane and propane (like used in cartridge camping stoves) are regularly used for indoor cooking. Yes, they are open flames, as is the stovetop I cook on in my house every day. They have the ability to generate carbon monoxide associated with incomplete combustion, as do all open flames from my gas fired fireplace, to my hot water heater, to my oven, to my cooktop. Geez, must I go on. Manufactures putting safety labels on their products have little to do with reality, as the tag you have probably left on the bottom of your mattress may attest to. Most motels don't allow candles either, many others do. Why aren't we arguing about the dangers of candles while we're at it.

Here's a hotel not far from the trail saying no cooking per fire code. Lots of hotels state outright no cooking in rooms.
I will not argue against being courteous and therefore choosing to obey hotel rules. That's great. I would appreciate it as a hotel operator. But, don't go telling me that just because there is a sign saying not to do something, that therefore it is dangerous, and I should therefore not do that same something!

I can't help you that you don't understand that placing a tippy open flame source into a room with no design space to safely operate it is unsafe. . . It's not whether this is regulated, it's just common sense.
And again, if that is your argument, you sure as heck should not be using these stoves in the wilderness where there is not designed space for their use either! Do you not see the complete absurdity of your stance on this?

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
Ask it it is allowed when checking in. If they say no, don’t do it. It’s common curtesy.
Now, that is common sense and common curtesy. I agree. The safety arguments, in contrast, are complete fabrications to justify following rules that are profoundly inconsistent from one setting to the next.