WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AMC Huts in NH are open this Summer

Well AMC is rolling the dice that Covid will be diminished enough to open the huts albeit with special rules. The do not mention the impact on capacity

https://www.concordmonitor.com/amc-h...-club-39777947

Contrary to popular belief all the food for the hut is not carried up on the backs of hut crews. Perishables and last minute changes are carried up (or down in the case of Lake of the Crowds) but the rest of the food for the season is carried up by helicopter along with propane. They are limited by permit to a short window in spring and in the fall for the flights.

Even with the precautions, they are still a very small enclosed space with lots of people in it. They did not mention requiring vaccinations

In a normal year, what would the odds be for just walking up and snagging a bunk for pay? Say late June?

I’d feel a little guilty taking a work for stay—lucky enough to be able to afford to pay, and honestly the thrill of pot washing faded some time ago.

Whatever the odds, would I be able to pay on the spot with credit card? Or would I need cash?

In normal times, it's fairly quiet around here until after July 4th. But these are no longer normal times, so hard to say. I'm pretty sure the huts take cards now days. You could contact the AMC and ask....
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Pure speculation due to Covid, my guess is walk-ins will not be allowed. That said you may be able to just call up on your cell and make a last minute reservation. In past years the huts tried to maximize the utilization but expect this year its maximizing safety.

Images

I would guess there won't be a whole lot of last minute reservations available, especially if they are limiting capacity. Might be able to snag the odd opening if a reservation didn't show up, but that would be at the very last minute.

I also think it would be wise for hikers to not just assume work for stay will be available this season. If they are limiting paying guests due to capacity/safety, then they probably aren't going to allow a whole lot of others to just walk in and stay for basically free.

Journal Entries
    Images

The link in th article addresses many questions. It must be difficult for any organization to balance all the many issues Covid has presented.

Of particular note is that water will be available at the huts for anyone passing by, as will restrooms and snacks.

Here is on snippet specific to thru hikers:

Q: Will walk-ins/thru hikers be allowed in the huts?
    A: The traditional “work-for-stay” option for AT thru-hikers adds several unknowns to the safety of limited lodging capacity we are prioritizing for overnight guests at the huts. While no final decision has yet been reached, we regretfully encourage thru-hikers to not rely on the huts as lodging opportunities throughout the Whites, unless they are able to make a reservation.
    AMC also discourages walk-in guests due to the low likelihood of space being available. If space is available at the time of the request, walk-ins will be accepted. Walk-ins should still be advised of and prepared to follow all current protocols. In weather or medical emergencies, the best judgement of hut croos, AMC leadership, and emergency response teams will be used on a case-by-case basis for changes in the capacity limits of each hut.

Will play it by ear, enjoy a stay if I get one, but not expect it.

Does anyone remember what is the earliest time for arrival for "work-for-stay"? I managed to get it at every hut when I was GAME11; finishing SoBo this year. TIA

FYI AMC huts are going to full occupancy as of July 1st

The huts are not doing work for stay this summer. The AMC anoiuncement about moving to full capacity in the huts also stated:

"We regret to announce that we will not be offering work for stay this year in the huts. The popular Thru-Hiker Pass will still be available at all staffed AMC shelters and tent-sites along the AT.

AMC also discourages walk-in guests due to the low likelihood of space being available. If space is available at the time of the request, walk-ins will be accepted. The huts will continue to serve as a refuge for folks in an emergency." https://www.outdoors.org/resources/a...c-huts-season/

Journal Entries
    Images

Whys the dungeon closed at lake of the clouds? I thought that was emergency shelter?
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Whys the dungeon closed at lake of the clouds? I thought that was emergency shelter?
    Probably because too many use it as a destination and it's a bit crowed down there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by skerry View Post
    Does anyone remember what is the earliest time for arrival for "work-for-stay"? I managed to get it at every hut when I was GAME11; finishing SoBo this year. TIA
    I’ve found that 3:00pm seemed to be the magic hour when you could ask. I got in the habit of starting early in the morning and getting to my destination early enough to ask for work-to-stay.

I think I saw a sign at one of the huts that said don’t ask before three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Probably because too many use it as a destination and it's a bit crowed down there.
    Using designated emergency shelters as planned destinations has a long history. This one was extremely useful to us when leading a group of 14-15 year olds, when a thunderstorm made a sudden appearance and getting safely below tree line would have been a challenge. We took refuge until the lightning threat had passed, then headed back on our way. Routine, non-emergency use led to the decision to remove it, which certainly hasn't enhanced safety.
    992659.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I can see your point. BUT the point of emergency shelter is its never closed..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

++ New Posts ++