WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Will you hike in your "Happy Hippie Hiking Suit" on June 21st?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HIKE Nekkid!!!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Default HIKE Nekkid!!!

Curiosity...how many of you plan on hiking nekkid on June 21st, "Hike Nekkid Day". Sort of being funny, and sorta really curious as to how many actually do this.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it. If I were on the trail that day and saw even an inkling of acceptance amongst fellow hikers for airing out their "naughty bits" then I would have to give it some consideration, if for no other reason than to say I'd done it. Add that to the list of off-beat things I've experienced in life. But I am a realist and know that odds are there are people who would be offended (or even afraid) if they came across a naked person while hiking. That could only lead to a cement "shelter" with iron bars! So I answered #2 - only for a short time (a mile or two) with a cover at the ready.

I would definitely be hiking shirtless though and that makes me wonder about the women in this group. Do you feel there is a double-standard against women in that they are usually required to cover up their tops? I would think that a group of nature-lovers would be the first ones to enjoy the warm sun on their skin, regardless of gender.

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Well, I voted no, but not because of the bugs. I would hate to scare the other hikers off the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz
    Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it.
    Last June I met 4 hikers (2 together, and 2 hiking individually) hiking naked. I thought it was a joke too, but evidently not!
    So be it.
    --John

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Naughty bits?

That's funnier than some of the sights I've seen over the years on 6/21.

Professional Delivery Boy Emeritus Belew's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz
    Pretty much everyone has heard about the fabled "Hike Nekkid Day" but I too wonder how much truth there is to it.
    Last year on the summer solstice we saw eight thru hikers and a LOT of all but one of them. I told one guy with nothing but a sombrero around waste abound a group of kids and counselors camping up the hill. He ran by so fast, I don't think they ever saw him.

Images

Thumbs up Is Summer Solstice nude hiking for real or a myth?

These Yahoo Groups seem to prove it's for real. Enjoy! LOL

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturist_hikers/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturists-outdoors/

I read a lot of old hiking reports. Have read Ed Garvey's book and now am reading the Volumes of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail." Lots of these hikers report skinny dipping, bathing au natural, and hiking or running into "naturist" hikers/groups.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 03-26-2006 at 20:47.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thumbs up

" Do you feel there is a double-standard against women in that they are usually required to cover up their tops? "

Not a double standard... im all for lettin the girls feel the sun. But when males come into the equation, ive got to cover 'em up. Its just too akward. Hiking nekkid, huh? Sounds like fun. But I dont know if id go for it. Not hiking. Maybe on naked day ill sun nude... but walking about seems a little uncomfortable on the cookie, if you know what i mean.

I go for keeping something nearby to cover up with...I did a naked hike in a swamp a while back and it was great fun! I'll definitely be out there in the buff on the 21st if I remember..so watch out!
    As for the double standard, I sure wish I could hike topless all the time when it was warm outside.
    Mindi

All chicks should hike naked all the time. Well not all. Some views get old.

I've hiked naked a few times, but I don't know that the AT is the place for it. Too many people could get freaked out, and if you are hiking naked just so you can freak people out, well trust me, there are better ways to do it.
    I did spend a week in the Cherokee National Forest near the AT last year, naked almost the entire time, but I didn't see anyone else the entire week except for the person I was hiking with, and since he was naked too I don't really think he cared.

I smell like New Jersey... SGTdirtman's Avatar
    Images

thank god I'm not leaving untill the 23rd... If i see you walking down the trail naked I'll be throwing rocks at you.
    crew chiefs can fix anything with pro seal and 100mph tape...

Didnt see anybody hiking naked on our thru. However we were still in Maine in June so the skeeters and black flies were still very bad.
    Last edited by RITBlake; 04-09-2006 at 01:20.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTdirtman
    thank god I'm not leaving untill the 23rd... If i see you walking down the trail naked I'll be throwing rocks at you.
    Since you smell Like New Jersey are you sure you should be throwing rocks at anyone. You may want to take the glass house route.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Since you smell Like New Jersey are you sure you should be throwing rocks at anyone. You may want to take the glass house route.

We need more info here. Does he smell like Secaucus or Sussex? Cape May or Kearney? Toms River or Trenton? Barnegat or Elizabeth? Are we talkin' low tide here? Some of us know the difference.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Now there's a good use for that cellphone. I'll be calling the cops if I see any naked guys/girls on the trail. I'll be with my 4-year old and sure don't want him exposed to this crap. Why destroy a perfectly good day with something juvenile and stupid like "Hike Nekkid Day"? I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman
    I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity.
    While I'm not advocating Hike Naked Day, there is a BIG difference between nudity & sexuality. Unfortunately, that distinction is lost on most Americans.

And if you want to avoid any chance of your 4 year old being exposed to naked people, don't take him/her hiking on the Summer Solstice.

I'm trying to think of a hiking equivelant to "Rock Out With Your Cock Out!"
    Damn straight MOWGLI.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    And if you want to avoid any chance of your 4 year old being exposed to naked people, don't take him/her hiking on the Summer Solstice.
    I have to agree. That ranks up there with taking your kids to a movie/play that you know contains bad langauge, then being upset that your kids heard it.

Sometimes common sense needs to be used.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Modesty is the best policy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vipahman
    Now there's a good use for that cellphone. I'll be calling the cops if I see any naked guys/girls on the trail. I'll be with my 4-year old and sure don't want him exposed to this crap. Why destroy a perfectly good day with something juvenile and stupid like "Hike Nekkid Day"? I will never understand the American mentality of dragging sexuality into every activity.
    Who said ANYTHING about sex??? You warping that 4-year-old's mind with your fixation on s-e-x?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++