WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I currently cook with a wide mouth stainless steel water water bottle: https://mekineer.com/backpacking/kit...light-cookware
    A collapsible stainless foil pouch would be lighter and easier to stow away when not needed. I guess the aluminum foil pouches *without* the plastic spouts could work as a dedicated cooking pot, but they would have to be pure steel with no layered plastic.
    I value less pack volume just as much as less weight, hence collapsible.

I think you could make a fold at the bottom of aluminum foil, thus creating your own standup aluminum foil cooking pot. Will the triple fold in this video hold water? I would test, but I need to buy aluminum foil. What is the heaviest duty aluminum foil? How is the thickness advertised, in microns?

I still have to check that this safety study wasn't funded by aluminum manufacturers:

Stainless Steel Tool Wrap! A little pricey, but if some of you buy together in bulk, you can share the savings.

Just need a power source to keep the metal semi-molten state.

I understand soft, collapsible titanium bottles are provided in your free travel kit if you book first class on the battery powered train from New York to Paris. Don't quote me, but that is what I heard.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

All kidding aside, engineers and scientists come up with some amazing discoveries when trying to solve "problems" like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I understand soft, collapsible titanium bottles are provided in your free travel kit if you book first class on the battery powered train from New York to Paris. Don't quote me, but that is what I heard.
    Damned elitists.

Collapsing the soft titanium bottle is easy- a 20 ton press should have an easy time of it. The tricky part is getting it uncollapsed as getting the smashed bottle connected to a pump that can fill it with water at several thousand PSI to "inflate" , that maybe be difficult So you can have a collapsable soft titanium bottle for the slight inconvience of carrying a press, generator and hydropump- I'd suggest a pickup/4x4 truck as most backpacks are not designed to carry those.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    All kidding aside, engineers and scientists come up with some amazing discoveries when trying to solve "problems" like this.
    I am an engineer and can't see a collapsible solution with ti foil coming.

If the issue is taste of plastic, goatskin is a viable alternative for water storage while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by mekineer View Post
    Are these lined with plastic in the interior?Attachment 47751
    As I understand it, Mylar is metal coated plastic with the plastic being there to provide structure to the micro-thin metal layer. In the case of the wine box liners, I would think the metal layer is likely on the inside to prevent any plastic taste from leaching into the wine.

On a completely alternative note, Specialized Bicycles manufactures a series of water bottles that are called Purist(TM). These are a flexible LDPE plastic bottle with a micro-think layer of glass deposited onto the inside to prevent the plastic taste from getting to the water. It also reduces staining and bacterial build-up on the inside of the bottle.

So, as long as the lining is thin enough (a couple molecules thick?) and you don't mind using plastic as the primary structural material, it seems you can potentially get both collapsible glass and collapsible metal containers.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    I am an engineer and can't see a collapsible solution with ti foil coming.
    Maybe not, but if you try, you might invent something else useful like Post-it notes. Remember the guys in Star Trek will invent transparent Aluminum in the future!

Maybe not, but if you try, you might invent something else useful like Post-it notes. Remember the guys in Star Trek will invent transparent Aluminum in the future!
    I thought they did that already?

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    As I understand it, Mylar is metal coated plastic with the plastic being there to provide structure to the micro-thin metal layer. In the case of the wine box liners, I would think the metal layer is likely on the inside to prevent any plastic taste from leaching into the wine.

On a completely alternative note, Specialized Bicycles manufactures a series of water bottles that are called Purist(TM). These are a flexible LDPE plastic bottle with a micro-think layer of glass deposited onto the inside to prevent the plastic taste from getting to the water. It also reduces staining and bacterial build-up on the inside of the bottle.

So, as long as the lining is thin enough (a couple molecules thick?) and you don't mind using plastic as the primary structural material, it seems you can potentially get both collapsible glass and collapsible metal containers.

Good luck.
    Cool thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I thought they did that already?
    How about that... they did! Post it notes are real, and so is transparent aluminum. Makes you wonder which came first - the movie or the idea.

How about that... they did! Post it notes are real, and so is transparent aluminum. Makes you wonder which came first - the movie or the idea.
    Funny story - I didn't know until just now that it -really- was real. I was just making a lousy joke about Scotty revealing it to us in 1986 so it was (sort of) already invented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++