WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Instaflator

Default Instaflator

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/the-instaflator/

Is the Instaflator gone forever? No one makes it anymore?

Exped schnoozle and sea to summit pump sack pretty much same idea.

I bought two and still have one after all these years, but it is not for sale

You can make your own with a short piece of tube and a garbage bag or skip the tube and just use a bag. Not as efficient as the Instaflator, but if you are using a compactor bag for a liner you already have what you need. See this video for an example of using just a bag.

“The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Journal Entries
    Images

I own two of them and there not for sale.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries

I had one, worked well however didn't last all that long. I went with the 2xAAA micro inflator. It's great to set and forget it, let it do the work and I can hear when it's done. Of all the camping chores inflating the air mattress is at the bottom of my want to do list, the one chore I truly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I had one, worked well however didn't last all that long. I went with the 2xAAA micro inflator. It's great to set and forget it, let it do the work and I can hear when it's done. Of all the camping chores inflating the air mattress is at the bottom of my want to do list, the one chore I truly hate.
    also "one" of my luxury items I bring along... batteries can swap into head lamp if needed too

Images

https://www.rei.com/product/829645/e...pbag-ul-medium
    Exped pump sack - works great, fits my Nemo pad perfectly.

Inflating with a garbage bag is so darn easy I've done if for years. And, since I already carry a garbage bag, the net weight added is 0.0 g. I've been given or found thermarest, big agnes, and sea to summit inflation bags in the past and have never used them past trying them out and deciding that my garbage bags are almost as easy, larger volume, and 100% lighter. I've lost or given away all the manufactured inflation bags I acquired in the past.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    also "one" of my luxury items I bring along... batteries can swap into head lamp if needed too
    Any chance you have a link to the micro inflator you reference?
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

I believe the reference is to the Neo Air Micro pump:
    https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-El.../dp/B07YLRCCH1

Default Instaflator

I bought 3 or 4 instaflators at my local pool supply store years ago. haven't worn one out yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    Any chance you have a link to the micro inflator you reference?
    only a year late on the reply... https://www.rei.com/product/171699/t...air-micro-pump

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I believe the reference is to the Neo Air Micro pump:
    https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-El.../dp/B07YLRCCH1
    Yep, that's the one. I try to get my items through brick and mortar if I can. I found mine at REI.

Ive used Big Agnes Pump House bags for years. Nice thing about using a formal bag is its a multifunction device, haul/store water, inflate pad, hang food, store things.
    The model Pump House I have uses a plastic fitting to connect to my pad which fits perfectly.
    Another nice feature is the bag has an inner flap/double wall and it seems to work to increase the air flow when filling the bag, one puff and you have a gallon or two of air to pump. Much faster than a plain bag/tube.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    I bought two and still have one after all these years, but it is not for sale

You can make your own with a short piece of tube and a garbage bag or skip the tube and just use a bag. Not as efficient as the Instaflator, but if you are using a compactor bag for a liner you already have what you need. See this video for an example of using just a bag.

On my hike through the Julian Alps, the first evening on a campspot my friend unpacked his stuff just to find out that he missed the pump sack.
    Turend out that he had a new pad and never unpacked it before, so the sack was missing from the beginning (propably removed for some reasons in the shop?)
    Lucky him, I have the same product of pad so he could use my pump sack, which worked out fine for the rest of the trip.

At this time I had no idea one could substitute the pump sack with a simple plasic bag - as shown in the video above.
    But as hard as I try to grasp the trick, I still cannot figure out how this guy is sealing the plastic bag to the valve?
    The valve of my Exped pad is completely flat and even with the pad, so there is no collar or anything protruding that would help here.

++ New Posts ++