WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wink Important question about MH Lasagna

I find the cheeze/cheeze product they use nearly impossible to clean up. I like the food but before I try it again I need to figure out how to deal with the cheeze mess. My normal MH technique is to use a pan for prep vs pouch. I find pouch prep never fully hydrates all of the food while using a pan I can keep it hotter, longer and dont have that issue. I should also mention I repackage #10 cans so I dont buy pouches and besides the economy I like not having to pack out dirty pouches.
    Maybe for lasagna I will have to make an exception. Any one have luck using pouches and then adding heat via putting the pouch in a pan of boiling water?
    Maybe carry a can of Pam to prevent sticking? Open to ideas.

I do most all my meals in freezer bags and just cleaning my spork after eating MH lasagna rivals any herculean task. Can't imagine trying to get that stuff off of a pot.

Sure does stick to the ribs though, huh?
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

The very title of the thread is humorous.

Images

Lasagna is among the best tasting MH. But for the reason you state, I stopped taking them on hikes. It is far too hard to clean just the spoon.

Since I've heard of people abandoning their hike when their spoon got stuck in the Lasagna pouch it think it is very important

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    The very title of the thread is humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Since I've heard of people abandoning their hike when their spoon got stuck in the Lasagna pouch it think it is very important
    Little known fact: That cheese was used to glue the tiles on Space Shuttles.

Aside from that, I also repackage #10 cans and use zipper FoodVacBags. After pouring the boiling water into the bag, I place it inside a thick bubble envelope (as cozy) and put a rubber band around it, leaving it for 15-20 minutes to rehydrade fully. Comes out nice and hot, and there's only the spoon to clean when you're done.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have an Evernew "non-stick" titanium pot. Perhaps it's time to give it a real test before I sell it. Off to the Important MH Lasagna store:::::

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I have an Evernew "non-stick" titanium pot. Perhaps it's time to give it a real test before I sell it. Off to the Important MH Lasagna store:::::
    I'd like to see that!

Cook in freezer bag, eat with fingers and you won't get bored or hungry later.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    You could cut the corner of the bag and squeeze it out like cake icing

Than how you going to stay busy the rest of the day?

Well that proves my theory that heat wont help. I guess your method is as good as it gets given the need to repackage. I think the only other solution is to wait till the last day's meal then it wont matter and one can wait till getting home to use a powered wire wheel to clean the spoon or maybe some paint stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Little known fact: That cheese was used to glue the tiles on Space Shuttles.

Aside from that, I also repackage #10 cans and use zipper FoodVacBags. After pouring the boiling water into the bag, I place it inside a thick bubble envelope (as cozy) and put a rubber band around it, leaving it for 15-20 minutes to rehydrade fully. Comes out nice and hot, and there's only the spoon to clean when you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    No way I’m going to eat fingers even with lasagna. And even with bad hiker hunger.

Not even lady fingers?

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    No way I’m going to eat fingers even with lasagna. And even with bad hiker hunger.
    Fingers are not considered to be part of a balanced diet, even on the AT.

hahahaha that stuff is disgusting! i had it once winter backpacking n it was like rubber on my spoon. no taste at all... pure rubber that coated the spoon, nearly impossible to get off.

to call it lasagna is a joke.
    yeah, space age glue... not food.

This is worth trying. I've heard if you add hot water, not boiling, it isn't as messy. Probably need to let it sit a little longer but worth trying. If you try it, please let us know your results.

++ New Posts ++