WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap advice for newbie

Hello I was just trying to figure out how ambitious our planned hike is? I have never hiked the AT but have done quite a bit of backpacking in my younger days. We're supposed to finish this section in 2.5 days but most stuff I've found online says its typically a little longer than that..? My cousin and brothers have hiked a lot of these sections and in the past and are in pretty excellent shape. I'm in decent shape but I feel like this plan might be a little ambitious..? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

2.5 days could be a little ambitious.

There's a pretty good climb out of Bly gap to Muskrat creek shelter, I've nick named it "the stairway to heaven" or, welcome to NC - Get used to it. If you manage to get to Muskrat early enough, the rest of the way to Standing Indian shelter isn't bad. Standing Indian to Long Branch shelter is a pretty long day, like 16 miles. Having to climb Standing Indian, roll over a few minor bumps, and then climb Mt Albert (which gets everyone's attention) near the end of the day, makes it a little tough. Long branch to Winding Stairs isn't too bad, only two small hills to go up and over and it's only 7.3 miles.

There are a few established camp sites along there which might be used to break up the days to the mileage is a little more evened out. But you are trying to do 40.5 miles in 2.5 days, so there's going to have to be a long day in there someplace.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

Depends on your conditioning and pack weight. Last time I did that section, I went from Tray Mountain Shelter to Bly Gap. Then Bly to Winding Stair Gap. I am the same age as you for reference.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'd say it's very possible. When I went thru there I went from Dick's Creek Gap to Standing Indian, and then from Standing Indian to Winding Stair Gap. Very doable.
    Slo-go'en is right about the "Welcome to North Carolina" part. That is exactly what I thought, and named it myself, when I hiked it.

willin'

Thank you all! Thats pretty much what I was thinking... Really appreciate all the input! I think the old guy will be OK. Really looking forward to the trip in a week, can't wait. Thanks again for the responses much appreciated!

++ New Posts ++