WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

for spring summer and fall I am sold on the umbrella. I however am not satisfied with JUST the umbrella. I am looking for something like a pack poncho to use with the umbrella during rougher weather. Winter time I will stick with the safety of goretex jacket and pants. But the breathablility of an umbrella just cant be beat to keep the annoying sprinkles off my sensory radar when temperature is not a threat.

Update: I just purchased a frogg togg poncho that proves to have enough material to cover pack, and at 20 bucks I can trim it down/ fabricate it and if it doesnt work out there isnt a big loss. I think this paired with the umbrella will be my new go to.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 04-13-2021 at 10:47.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    for spring summer and fall I am sold on the umbrella. I however am not satisfied with JUST the umbrella. I am looking for something like a pack poncho to use with the umbrella during rougher weather. Winter time I will stick with the safety of goretex jacket and pants. But the breathablility of an umbrella just cant be beat to keep the annoying sprinkles off my sensory radar when temperature is not a threat.
    Update: I just purchased a frogg togg poncho that proves to have enough material to cover pack, and at 20 bucks I can trim it down/ fabricate it and if it doesnt work out there isnt a big loss. I think this paired with the umbrella will be my new go to.
    Exactly how I see it. Trouble is, rain gear is like stoves - I keep experimenting, but 20 bucks a pop for frogg toggs is hard to beat.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The bulk of my camping trips are in GSMNP where I ALWAYS pack a goretex jacket and pants, and OPTIONALLY bring an umbrella if I EXPECT rain.

For the annoying sprinkles, I often find I'm good enough just tossing my goretex jacker over my pack and head. The umbrella comes out for "rain".

I'm usually not hiking in both COLD and WET weather, so I seldom find my self in a position where I need to hike in goretext. But once I get to camp, I put on the goretex to help use my body heat to warm up and dry clothing (with the goretex allowing the moisture from wet cloths escape).

Which reminds me, I also ALWAY carry a wool hat year round. Can't beat it for its warmth to weight ratio, and I've found the extra warmth sometimes needed even in summer if you're wet and at higher elevations in GSMNP.

I've been using a gossamer umbrella and a rain skirt for the last three years. Still carry a rain jacket for those tight spots where the umbrella won't work. The umbrella is a must in my kit now as it keeps me much drier when hiking or in camp. It's also a nice little windscreen for cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Horizontal rain is not umbrella weather at any temp. You still want to have rain gear that is appropriate for that stuff even when carrying the umbrella. I don't use mine when it is windy because hands free mounts don't hold it still and I'm not putting down my poles.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Good choice to leave it at home. I brought one on a section hike once and didn't realize how thick the AT growth can be and it took extra effort to keep from constantly snagging it. There is also very little prolonged sun exposure on the AT, not like the PCT anyway - a place where your umbrella would shine. Also, an umbrella will do jack squat when you cross the Roan Highlands and have wind blowing sideways at you at 50mph.
    Two important negatories for umbrella use in the Southeast. The AT is not called The Green Tunnel without reason---you'll be ducking and dipping and scooting under rhodo and briars and everything else---an umbrella is the last thing I want to be carrying. When I backpack I have one hand on my single hiking pole and one hand perpetually clenched to my Felco pruners.

Used mine on my hike in Spain. Everyone I passed wished they had one. I think they're worth their weight in gold.
    You can see me using it here in several scenes... https://youtu.be/XN5zhKMUKgY

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ...The AT is not called The Green Tunnel without reason---you'll be ducking and dipping and scooting under rhodo and briars and everything else---an umbrella is the last thing I want to be carrying.
    Been there, done that, still carry one! Not a perfect solution, but a valuable part of the kit.

THe umbrella does not work 100% of the time but it works for a large majority. From time to time you do have to fold it up, or squeeze it between a tight space but for the most part its a non issue. Not alot of bushwacking involved on the AT....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Did Walter forget that the bulk of his hiking isn't actually on the AT?

As noted by others, there is a lot of personal preference when it comes to umbrellas. If we carry every piece of gear that would be perfect for all conditions, we would have very heavy packs. I find a lot of the choice comes down to what can be expected most of the time. For me, raingear is worthless above about 55F. I sweat too much. It's usually warmer than 55F. Umbrellas are light but fragile. Branches and bushes can damage them, and I am usually looking at my feet when it is raining, so the umbrella suffers some neglect. Most of the time, I am happier with an umbrella, and I am prepared to suffer a bit, or be flexible in some conditions. Being a bit uncomfortable every now and then is part of a long hike, at least the way I do it. So knowing your ability to work with the discomfort every now and then is important. Oops, I'm philosophizing.

In my limited 500 mile experience on the AT between NJ and NC its more likely you'll want an umbrella for fog condensation "tree rain" than not being able to use it from a narrow trail.

Lots of weird weather in the mountains and not a lot of places where you can't use an umbrella. At 6.5oz my 6 Moons Design Carbon Silver Shadow is a must have, I am sure the week I've spent under it would have been much less pleasant without it. I hike to enjoy the trail, not endure the maximum amount of "suck" mother nature can dish out.

THe umbrella does not work 100% of the time but it works for a large majority. From time to time you do have to fold it up, or squeeze it between a tight space but for the most part its a non issue. Not alot of bushwacking involved on the AT....

Won't leave home without my umbrella. Kept me sane on rainy days on the AT and was happy to carry the weight the rest of the time for peace of mind.
    "Ghost"
    NPT Nobo 2013, AT Sobo 2020

There was nothing like going through Shenandoah with 4 days of rain and staying fairly dry under my umbrella. Just love it and wont leave home without it.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

We always carry brollys on the AT. Most of the time it's all you need, and you can avoid the condensation trap of raingear. We've used Raines Skinny Minny (5 oz) and more recently got a serious $60 trekking one but it hasn't seen much use.

Whether you're camped in a shelter, tent or under a tarp, those surprise trips to the latrine that always seem to come up in a heavy rain are just the time for an umbrella
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++