WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Mid June reservation at baxter - how to

Hi,
    I'm supposed to start the AT on June 17th from Maine. I've been trying to make a campsite reservation but their online registration system alternating says campsites are already booked or closed. I tried calling a few times but each time I get busy signals that are disconnected with no voice-mail option. Their website does say reservation calls are receiving high volumes at this time. But right now I'm working full time at a farm so don't really have time to call constantly. Does anyone have any suggestions or insights?

Looks to me like the reservations system is down. It defaults to winter camping. The summer reservations are set up for four months in advance so you should be able to book one. On the other hand BSP had restrictions on campers due to Covid last year so they may not be taking any or just taking by phone. They do not have voice mail on the reservation line so its the luck of the draw if you get through. The only other alternative is find someone to drive over to headquarters and make them in person.

Web site is loading availability really slowly, but it comes up eventually. I'm seeing KStream as booked solid but Abol has a couple sites left for the 17th. Good luck!
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Website is up. Mid June sites at Katahdin Stream started being booked six months ago, that's why they're gone.
    HQ is closed due to COVID but there's at least three people taking phone reservations, and they're swamped as usual as mod-August sites start opening up.
    Join the SoBo 2021 FB group, and see if someone who booked a site has room.
    The 2021 SoBo's Guide to Baxter and Katahdin.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Interesting. The only way I could get the sites to load is to enter the date. The screen was blank until I clicked on show unavailable sites and then the sites popped up. I then un clicked unavailable sites.

Looking out four months from now, many backcountry sites are listed as phone only, no online reservations. No wonder the clerks are slammed if there are no online reservations for many of the sites

Interesting that TJ claimed that sites were booked six months in advance when the rolling reservations are four months in advance. Since there is no opening day like past years, what is the loophole to get in early rservatiions?
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-13-2021 at 16:35.

All backcountry sites are be phone only.
    Every day another 300+ campsites become available, scores of parking reservations to handle, and there are mail-in reservations to sort.
    Be patient, use the website, and if you must phone have everything you need at hand, plans A, B, and C, credit card, and if you need a parking pass or seasonal sticker, have your vehicle info handy.
    Did I type six? Just an error, not a "claim."
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I have to believe Teej is the go-to here. He knows Baxter bizness...

I just made a reservation for the 10th of June shelter #3, on line. You do have to log in first.

++ New Posts ++