WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    ...I'm going to try cutting the front off the poncho, and wear it more like a cape...
    No need to cut the front. In this photo it was really warm and the rain was fairly light and off and on every few minutes. We covered our packs and rather than putting our head through the hole into the hood we just put it around the back of our neck. This kept our shirts/torso dry enough and we used our hats to keep our head and glasses dry. If the rain got heavier it was a quick adjustment to go to full poncho mode.

Last weekend I encountered another light rain for about 10 minutes at a time. I simply used my poncho partially folded and draped over my shoulders much like you would a towel after getting out of the shower. When the real heavy rain started I went to full poncho mode and was dry the entire two hours except from my knees on down.

Rain1.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) - a combo rain coat and pack cover. I can put it on as a pack cover, with the raincoat part tucked in. Then, if it starts raining I can pull out the raincoat elements and have them on within a minute. It has pit zips, too. Sometimes, I just leave the hood on, or the flap below the back (comes in handy when you later go to sit down)

They're certainly more expensive than Frog Toggs. But I'm glad I made the investment...

The main problem with ponchos that I have is that I can never get the dang thing over the back of the pack without help from someone. Even in the rain, I tend to take my pack on and off more then a few times a day and getting the poncho set up right after each time is a pain and I get wet in the process. Guess I just haven't figured that part out yet.

In the early spring and late fall when it can rain a lot and be chilly (i.e. raw) you want a jacket. Summer time, optional. My main use for a poncho now is to wait out a thunder storm, which is the most common source of rain in the summer. These storms don't last all that long and sitting it out under a poncho is a good way to stay dry - and possibly prevent hypothermia, as that rain can be really cold!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Like IkmI, I love the Packa and like the OP, I am now trying out the Gossamer Gear Umbrella with attachment. Thinking it will be great for Sun as much as rain, but also for summer storms when I just want the Packa to protect the pack. I am not sure if I would use an umbrella on the AT due to terrain. I am going to use the combo on my Buckeye Trail Thru Hike. Anxious to hear your thought later.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Update: Poncho arrived yesterday and first round of testing was a pass. It fit. It drapes completely over my pack, down past my hip belt and does not seem too baggy in excess material. If anything some light modifications will be needed so it becomes less restrictive. Its a little tight on the front of the neck and shoulders. I will use some shock cord and cord locks for at least 2 locations. 1 in the front to hymm it up as needed, and one around the base of the back so that it more tightly hugs the pack instead of being flowy. So far the concept is going well. I will keep the thread active with further testing
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The main problem with ponchos that I have is that I can never get the dang thing over the back of the pack without help from someone. Even in the rain, I tend to take my pack on and off more then a few times a day and getting the poncho set up right after each time is a pain and I get wet in the process. Guess I just haven't figured that part out yet.

In the early spring and late fall when it can rain a lot and be chilly (i.e. raw) you want a jacket. Summer time, optional. My main use for a poncho now is to wait out a thunder storm, which is the most common source of rain in the summer. These storms don't last all that long and sitting it out under a poncho is a good way to stay dry - and possibly prevent hypothermia, as that rain can be really cold!
    Yes, throwing on a poncho over the pack as I'm wearing it is a real hassle---and mostly impossible wearing a large very high pack---

159462082_3795037843924583_856175523135541664_n.jpg

Tipi my entire pack is more about the size of your Hilleberg attached to your underside there lol
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The main problem with ponchos that I have is that I can never get the dang thing over the back of the pack without help from someone.
    The solution I worked out is, with the pack still on the ground to neatly spread the poncho over the pack but leaving the front piece of the poncho in a nice roll just on top of the shoulder straps.
    Then I put the poncho-covered pack on my back, and unroll this very roll atop myself and slip my head into the hood.

Journal Entries
    Images

I really like the idea of the pairing...But I think we all have chased that mystical, beast on the AT. the absolute is your going to get wet one way or another...I just accept it and keep my rain jacket and deal with being sweaty. Could be worse...I used ponchos in the military and all other rain gear they came up with..Plus backpacking its just rain gear is heavy even the light jackets may breath a bit your getting wet. But I like this pairing cause more air and I think the umbrella is understated on the AT...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Yes, throwing on a poncho over the pack as I'm wearing it is a real hassle---and mostly impossible wearing a large very high pack---

159462082_3795037843924583_856175523135541664_n.jpg
    I had to look for the feet before my eyes would separate Tipi from the pack stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++