WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tanyard Gap Parking

Is there an actual parking area at the jct of 25&70 outside of Hot Springs? The Aldha guide indicates parking but the street view shows none.

Nevermind...spoke too soon. The satellite view shows the lot.

Alligator, please delete
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 04-16-2021 at 09:38.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Is there an actual parking area at the jct of 25&70 outside of Hot Springs? The Aldha guide indicates parking but the street view shows none.

Nevermind...spoke too soon. The satellite view shows the lot.

Alligator, please delete
    Here is a street view from a few years ago.
    68580013.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Here is a street view from a few years ago.
    68580013.jpg
    Thank you. I realized once I used the satellite view that I was approaching from the wrong street. It's clearly visible in the satellite view.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Tanyard Gap is real good parking. It is right on the main highway, but well from clear view(as in a pull off). I have parked here several times over the years with no issue. Laughing heart hostel parking is your safest in the area though if you can swing that and worried about safety of car.

How is snacktime BTW i havent seen any updates on him in years
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Snacktime is now 19 and 6'2" or so. It's been a tough year for him in pandemic isolation, but he did accomplish this:

He and I put aside our hiking adventures in 2015, and he returned to regular school in his sophomore year in 2018. I can't find the pic of us together on his graduation, but I don't even come to his shoulder anymore.

I'll tell him you asked about him....he'll be happy about that. His memories of the AT community and all our adventures are still pretty special to him.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 04-16-2021 at 12:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Tanyard Gap is real good parking. It is right on the main highway, but well from clear view(as in a pull off). I have parked here several times over the years with no issue. Laughing heart hostel parking is your safest in the area though if you can swing that and worried about safety of car.
    Laughing Heart is what I've been thinking too, thanks.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

There's also the public lot downtown on the other side of Main st. from the police department. I think this is the safest place in the area to park.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    There's also the public lot downtown on the other side of Main st. from the police department. I think this is the safest place in the area to park.
    Excellent info! Thank you.

++ New Posts ++