WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I must be a genetic freak. The alice pack actual fits me.
    I used my ALICE for years but preferred it without the metal frame. I loaded it up with 60+ lbs and it hung off my back w/o a hipbelt and hiked until my hands swelled up and I got a "muscle headache" from the weight behind me. Since it didn't have alot of volume I ended up strapping all manner of crap to the outside.

Here's the pack in action next to my main load hauler---a North Face external (called Back Magic)---circa 1980---

foototot.jpgalice.jpg

I love my Jansport external frame pack so much that it's been my screensaver for three years.

This photo was taken at the Barn Restaurant, Rural Retreat, VA, June 2018.

Screensaver.jpg

Images

I still have an old Jansport from the 1990's when I was a boy scout. Nowadays, it holds all my extra gear that I only take on car camping trips.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Ah yes - Jansport. That's what I used from 1975 through to the fall of 1978 when I switched to internal frames and never looked back.

The pic is me in December of 1977 getting ready for a week-long in the Presidentials. The pack is a Jansport D3 model. I used this pack on a 650 mile walk on the AT the summer of 77'. The "U" bars cracked within 75 miles of Springer Mountain and I threw them away. I'd never willingly go back to an external from a proper fitting internal. But the truth of the matter is few internals any more are tuneable, genuine internals. They're really a hybrid between an external and internal with little adjustability. And given what I see on local trails, most folks would be better off with an external.

12.1977.jpg

Great pic BradMT---reminds me of hitchhiking from Boone NC to Greensboro in 1980 to visit my folks and my Mom took this pic of me with my old (then pretty new) North Face pack which I was living out of in the hills around Boone NC for many years---

scan0006-XL.jpg

carried both the medium and large alice over many a hill and dale. When I switched from infantry to support they issued us the ruck with no frame, was miserable and pretty useless that way IMO,
    My current ruck is again Army. NIB surplus. Its not the old Alice, its a new improved design that I think is really an improvement in both ruck and frame. Also lots of external attachment points. Once I figured out it was made to wear with body armour I got it adjusted fairly well. Also shed some weight by getting rid of some of the extra long straps and an internal pocket and radio harness webbing.
    I know folks like to poo poo surplus gear, but Army gear has improved immensely. Its tough, easy to mod and accessorize, often USA made and is cheap.
    We went to desert storm in 1990 with vietnam era gear. Things got much better in the 2000's.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I’m choosing to forget that one and the 4 years I carried it. Haha

thom
    Still ust one for hunting.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

Debating buying an old jansport so i can have the frame to modify for trail maintence for tools.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs;[URL="tel:2285173"
    2285173[/URL]]Debating buying an old jansport so i can have the frame to modify for trail maintence for tools.
    I prefer a stout internal for hunting...

BEFC670E-E4CC-421A-A443-B2DD6C89B0A7.jpeg

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I prefer a stout internal for hunting...

BEFC670E-E4CC-421A-A443-B2DD6C89B0A7.jpeg
    What pack is that?.I looked at some Karafu's thinking of getting one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Debating buying an old jansport so i can have the frame to modify for trail maintence for tools.
    Look up "freighter frame" for a large frame with nice shoulder straps and hipbelt. Might cost a little more than a used pack, but not much more.

I have the Dakine Builder pack for trail maintenance. I built my own external frame for it using PVC.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    What pack is that?.I looked at some Karafu's thinking of getting one of them...
    That's a 15 year old Arcteryx Bora... but Kifaru is a great way to go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    Look up "freighter frame" for a large frame with nice shoulder straps and hipbelt. Might cost a little more than a used pack, but not much more.

I have the Dakine Builder pack for trail maintenance. I built my own external frame for it using PVC.
    That frame is not a bag price plus you can work around what you need..Thanks for telling me about the Dankine looked at that also...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    And let's not forget the true Mother of Pain---the ALICE pack with frame---oh and put 65 lbs in it for sport---

Attachment 47867

And we never wore the hip belt primarily to be able to ditch it quickly, secondarily because "one size fits few." 75lbs was the threshold for knowing if you got a "good one." Seemed at 75lb seams would rip and/or the frame would spontaneously decompensate, sometimes spectacularly. A "good one" could take 125+lbs. Ruck would still have only 75lbs in it but by the time you got done strapping s#!t all over it, it (and you) were hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    carried both the medium and large alice over many a hill and dale. When I switched from infantry to support they issued us the ruck with no frame, was miserable and pretty useless that way IMO,
    My current ruck is again Army. NIB surplus. Its not the old Alice, its a new improved design that I think is really an improvement in both ruck and frame. Also lots of external attachment points. Once I figured out it was made to wear with body armour I got it adjusted fairly well. Also shed some weight by getting rid of some of the extra long straps and an internal pocket and radio harness webbing.
    I know folks like to poo poo surplus gear, but Army gear has improved immensely. Its tough, easy to mod and accessorize, often USA made and is cheap.
    We went to desert storm in 1990 with vietnam era gear. Things got much better in the 2000's.
    The current is the MOLLE system. I agree w DDF. It is actually pretty comfortable to me. I would not hike it but for a training ruck, w 75lbs, it is reasonable. I wore out the hip belt though. My actual training ruck is a SPEAR ruck, collaboration between Gregory and Bianchi. Sort of a tactical expedition ruck, 9-10lbs empty, but you can shift alot of weight to your hips.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Still have my Jansport D3 which I bought used in 1977. Damn good pack, but obsolete. The technological improvements of last 20 years sure make carrying a load more comfortable. Love my Gregory Baltoro, now a few years old

On mY first AT hike in 1968 (Laconte to Fontana) I use a Boyscout Yucca pack with no frame. Not comfortable one step. Thank you, innovators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LesterC View Post
    Thank you, innovators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Down with the good ole days!!

Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    And we never wore the hip belt primarily to be able to ditch it quickly, secondarily because "one size fits few." 75lbs was the threshold for knowing if you got a "good one." Seemed at 75lb seams would rip and/or the frame would spontaneously decompensate, sometimes spectacularly. A "good one" could take 125+lbs. Ruck would still have only 75lbs in it but by the time you got done strapping s#!t all over it, it (and you) were hurting.

The current is the MOLLE system. I agree w DDF. It is actually pretty comfortable to me. I would not hike it but for a training ruck, w 75lbs, it is reasonable. I wore out the hip belt though. My actual training ruck is a SPEAR ruck, collaboration between Gregory and Bianchi. Sort of a tactical expedition ruck, 9-10lbs empty, but you can shift alot of weight to your hips.
    On my new ruck, I actually use the hip belt, as I can wear ruck with shorts, pants or whatnot,,, On side holds my trail Morakniv,,, off side holds what looks like a flat square pouch that matches the cammo pattern, but holds a 10mm XDM crossdraw and the front is velcroed on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Perhaps some day I will just cut out the divider for the sleeping bag compartment.
    When I came thru Neels gap in 2008 this was the suggestion they gave me to help my gear fit better. I cut it out and it has been good since. I've been using my Kelty Trekker for 13 years and it's still holding up. Obviously it has some wear but it probably has around 4,000 miles and several hundred nights in the woods on it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

In the 90's, I bartered for an 80's Kelty Super Tioga (5-6 lbs empty). Used it for camping until about 2010.

Still have it.
    Used it loaded with bottles of water when I was walking the neighborhood training for a JMT thru hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    On my new ruck, I actually use the hip belt, as I can wear ruck with shorts, pants or whatnot,,, On side holds my trail Morakniv,,, off side holds what looks like a flat square pouch that matches the cammo pattern, but holds a 10mm XDM crossdraw and the front is velcroed on.
    love me some ten mike mike
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++