WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I am sweaty when I sleep... am I doing something wrong?

I notice when I sleep I am sweaty. I don’t feel cold or hot, I feel very comfortable. I notice I get clamy or slurpy sweaty.

If it’s 45* or less I sleep in long underwear and long sleeve smart wool. Colder than 40 I might toss on a micro grid fleece.

I use a pad with a R3 value and a 20* quilt.

I feel like if I create a draft or vent my quilt I get cold. Does this mean I am a “warm sleeper”?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    Does this mean I am a “warm sleeper”?
    Not if you wear long baselayers at 45F with a 20F quilt, and a grid fleece at 40F! How could you NOT be sweating?!?

I need to try wearing less cloths. Just don’t want to be cold I guess.

Leonidas

I need to try wearing less cloths. Just don’t want to be cold I guess.
    If you get cold, put on a layer. Depending on how late you eat before bed, your body is ramped up producing heat. As the night goes on, you cool down. Personally, I find it better to go to bed in less and put on more if/when the situation requires. But if being sweaty is comfortable for you, I guess I wouldn't worry too much. I personally hate waking up sweaty at home or on trail.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    But if being sweaty is comfortable for you, I guess I wouldn't worry too much.
    I agree with that for a night or two, but if you're out for several days it's a different story. The sweat can affect the insulating ability of the quilt/bag. Two sweaty nights followed by a third at a lower temperature could be a miserable experience.

Try covering your extremities: gloves, beanie/hood, down or oppossum wool socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Try covering your extremities: gloves, beanie/hood, down or oppossum wool socks.
    Are you breathing into your bag? That causes condensation & sweat.

Garlic
    Images

If the quilt insulation is down, depending on the baffling you may be able to shift insulation to the sides for warmer nights. My EE down quilt has a nice "open square" baffling system that lets me shift the down in both directions.

And I agree you're wearing a lot of warm clothing for that much insulation.

I notice when I sleep I am sweaty. I don’t feel cold or hot, I feel very comfortable. I notice I get clamy or slurpy sweaty.

If it’s 45* or less I sleep in long underwear and long sleeve smart wool. Colder than 40 I might toss on a micro grid fleece.

I use a pad with a R3 value and a 20* quilt.

I feel like if I create a draft or vent my quilt I get cold. Does this mean I am a “warm sleeper”?
    Some have circulation problems or disorders like Raynauds that may affect extremities/and digits the most. For example, Anish or myself may benefit from wearing beanie/hood, warm dry socks and gloves/mittens and keep the torso and lower body less bundled up so we don't get sleep sweaty. I found this out sleeping in a quilt when venting or experiencing a draft as my sleep style is from side to side all night. I'm not uncomfortably cold or hot when the sleep wear apparel layers are appropriately in balance with extremity accessorizing.

Some drugs like blood pressure, diabetic, pain, and anti depressant/ psyche meds also make people run hot. https://www.goodrx.com/blog/medicati...g-side-effect/
    In men low testosterone, low blood sugar, anxiety, hormone imbalances, and sleep apnea can make for a sweaty night. So it's not just gear or over dressing that can be the culprit of a sweaty night. https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...-sweats-in-men. As a family experience my diabetic sleep apne over wt(obese) dad and sis, on recently prescribed high blood pressure meds, wake up drenched without so much as bed sheet over them wearing light sleepwear. I personally have made it lifestyle goals to avoid these conditions by maintaining a narrow standard of health including guarding against anxiety, depression, worry, etc. Maybe you can try relaxing more before sleep or addressing causes. Try cooling foods before turning in perhaps with peppermint or chamomile tea, dandelion greens and most other leafy greens, a banana, noshing a cuke or radishes.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Some have circulation problems or disorders like Raynauds that may affect extremities/and digits the most. For example, Anish or myself may benefit from wearing beanie/hood, warm dry socks and gloves/mittens and keep the torso and lower body less bundled up so we don't get sleep sweaty. I found this out sleeping in a quilt when venting or experiencing a draft as my sleep style is from side to side all night. I'm not uncomfortably cold or hot when the sleep wear apparel layers are appropriately in balance with extremity accessorizing.

Some drugs like blood pressure, diabetic, pain, and anti depressant/ psyche meds also make people run hot. https://www.goodrx.com/blog/medicati...g-side-effect/
    In men low testosterone, low blood sugar, anxiety, hormone imbalances, and sleep apnea can make for a sweaty night. So it's not just gear or over dressing that can be the culprit of a sweaty night. https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...-sweats-in-men. As a family experience my diabetic sleep apne over wt(obese) dad and sis, on recently prescribed high blood pressure meds, wake up drenched without so much as bed sheet over them wearing light sleepwear. I personally have made it lifestyle goals to avoid these conditions by maintaining a narrow standard of health including guarding against anxiety, depression, worry, etc. Maybe you can try relaxing more before sleep or addressing causes. Try cooling foods before turning in perhaps with peppermint or chamomile tea, dandelion greens and most other leafy greens, a banana, noshing a cuke or radishes.
    Interesting, I wasn't aware low T lent itself to night sweats.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

BTW, one day some expert will figure out that many have too warm sleeping bags because they are used to the weight of blankets at home and miss that weight with light down bags in the wild.

When I go to bed, I always lie on top of my quilt until I cool down. I can feel my metabolism is ramped up from camp chores, eating, hiking, etc when I go to bed. If I crawl into my quilt right away I get sweaty. It's amazing how long you can lie out with no blankets on a cold night before you cool down. It's very relaxing.

It really isn't all that complicated...
    "If it’s 45* or less I sleep in long underwear and long sleeve smart wool. Colder than 40 I might toss on a micro grid fleece.

I use a pad with a R3 value and a 20* quilt."
    If I had a 20f quilt over me at 45 plus, I would be sweatting too.

It really isn't all that complicated...
    "If it’s 45* or less I sleep in long underwear and long sleeve smart wool. Colder than 40 I might toss on a micro grid fleece.

I use a pad with a R3 value and a 20* quilt."
    If I had a 20f quilt over me at 45 plus, I would be sweatting too as I would at 40f and possibly 30f...

Adjust clothing or vent (stick a leg or arm out) or remove hat or socks or sleep on top of the quilt or whatever it takes until you're not hot any more, then gradually start adding stuff as you cool down.

FWIW and probably worth a try - Having had a similar problem, I bring a washcloth with me and use it just before retiring, wiping down my face, arms, chest, and legs with cold water. Evaporation helps to cool the body and I've found I can sleep better without the trail grime of dirt and sweat from the days walk. More importantly, it stops the light sweating that becomes uncomfortable during the night.

++ New Posts ++