We're 55 and live in California. Our backpacking has been 95% in a pretty narrow band of the Sierra Nevada. I plan to hike the AT in 2-4 years but first do some shorter trips in different environments. Rain, bugs, rocks, and mud sure sound fun but are they? Towns, restaurants, and shelters mid-trip might not be bad either.

We have an event in Boston the last week of October, so that dictated the timing. It looks like two weeks earlier would be better for fall colors and weather. I looked for a loop or point-to-point trip that offered a bit of the New England/East Coast hiking experience and would let us enjoy the fall colors. Shelters to sleep in (or at least escape the rain when cooking, etc) and accessible by mass transit from Boston were also goals. The Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail looks to hit most of those requirements. It will involve approx 55 miles of hiking and has at least 4 good view points so hopefully we will get at least one summit on a clear day.

I'd love any input or suggestions. I put most of my research below.

Jim
WhiteBlaze threads:

Draft itnerary.

• 10/20 Fly to BOS
  • 10/21 Dartmouth Coach to New London (Park & Ride) N.H.
  • Taxi 10 miles to Sunapee Lake Lodge (Possibly "New Aces Taxi". No Uber/Lyft in the area)
  • 10/22 Hike from Lodge to Sunapee ski area. 1 mile
  • Hike up Mt. Sunapee appx. 2 miles

• Hike MSG additional 6 miles to Steve Galpin Shelter
  • 10/23 Hike MSG 11 miles Through town of Washington NH
  • Eat/supply at http://thewashingtonstore.com/
  • to General Washington Shelter
  • If we find a B&B in Washington stay there instead.
  • 10/24 Hike MSG 13.5 miles
  • to Crider Shelter and camping area. Set on the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests’ James & Eleanor Crider Forest.
  • 10/25 Hike MSG 11 miles to Spiltoir Shelter
  • 10/26 Hike MSG 7 miles to Mt. Monadnock.
  • Follow 2 mile "White Dot" or other trail off mountain to parking lot or Jaffrey another 2-3 miles

• Taxi 16 miles to Keene NH
  • 10/27 Keene.Pick up Enterprise rental car
  • 10/28 Drive to BOS

Resources:
Mostly web searches.
There's an official book and map by the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail Club (MSGTC)
Guthook App has the trail available for $5.

YouTube:
"Nahamsha Hiker MSG"
Thunderstorm on the MSG. Great views... Poor kid didn't like thunderstorm!Others: (You will find "Kyle Hates Hiking" somewhat annoying. He doesn't really hate hiking.()Weather-
My best guess:
Average highs in high 40's to low 50's with 65 possible.
Lows typically about freezing or a bit lower, very dewy.
Sunny about 1/2 of the days.
Rain about 1 day out of 4, average 1/2" with 1" fairly common. It rained 4" in 2 days in 2019.
Snow unlikely but possible.
Personal weather station at 1600' in town of Washington