WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Local Man who fatally stabbed hiker on Appalachian Trail found not guilty by reason o

Images

Just my opinion, but he was sane enough to manipulate people into giving him money, rides, food, etc., and make his way further up the trail. He managed to behave sane enough when he needed to. The key to his cage needs to be thrown away.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

I am confused by the timeline.

The killer was found competent to stand for a trial last summer. The trial date was set for this past January, but was then rescheduled for July.

This latest report says that the killer was found not guilty by reason of insanity and would be comitted for an indeterminate amount of time. The report cites the killer’s not guilty plea, victims’ impact statements, and psychiatrists’ testimony before the court.

But I remain confused.

Was there a trial before a jury?

It appears the third mental health evaluation found pretty compelling evidence of insanity enough to move the prosecutor and defense council to reach the plea arrangement, and the Judge apparently agreed with the plea in light of the insanity determination. The plea was made, "not guilty by reason of insanity", no jury trial is necessary when all parties agree.

Insanity can be difficult to diagnose, especially if the person has lucid moments when removed from triggering environments or circumstances. It's not something one can make a casual observation and determine, it's not uncommon for insanity pleas of this nature to have conflicting evaluations over time given the nature of what can cause the loss of sanity momentarily or for longer periods of time. This is by no means a defense of this guy or discounting of physicians who made various findings along the way, only to offer an explanation of the difficulty in determining insanity when it may not present during a given evaluation.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Wasn't there an article a couple weeks ago that stated the judge had decided him competent to stand trial?
    Be Prepared

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Wasn't there an article a couple weeks ago that stated the judge had decided him competent to stand trial?
    He was found competent to stand trial (currently sane enough to understand the charges against him AND participate in his own defense), but a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity (agreed to by both prosecutors and defense) was accepted by the judge prior to an actual trial. You can be ruled competent (currently) to stand trial, but still have been incompetent/insane at the time of the crime.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Oh yes, now I get it thanks.
    Be Prepared

Competent or not, he will pass a great deal of his natural life in a psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. We have one like that in Manhattan and believe me it is not a place you want to find yourself in.

In 15 years Mr Jordan will be 45 yrs old and likely out of jail or the mental institution.Its impossible to say what will happen at that point but one thing is for sure,Mr Sanchez will still be dead and his loved ones will know that justice was not truly served.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Competent or not, he will pass a great deal of his natural life in a psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. We have one like that in Manhattan and believe me it is not a place you want to find yourself in.
    Do you mean Bellview? Where he goes in Virginia is northern virginia and its not like NY.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Do you mean Bellview? Where he goes in Virginia is northern virginia and its not like NY.
    Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center on Wards Island, a NY state institution. Bellevue Hospital is a legendary NY city public hospital with a storied history. as for Jordan I believe he will be placed in a federal hospital since it is the federal government that tried him.
    Last edited by stephanD; 04-26-2021 at 21:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center on Wards Island, a NY state institution. Bellevue Hospital is a legendary NY city public hospital with a storied history. as for Jordan I believe he will be placed in a federal hospital since it is the federal government that tried him.
    Belleview has a phys wing or did ...Doing a google search it looks like ST Elisabeths in DC for him.. But there are phsc hospitals in Northern VA. One in Blacksburg...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    In 15 years Mr Jordan will be 45 yrs old and likely out of jail or the mental institution.Its impossible to say what will happen at that point but one thing is for sure,Mr Sanchez will still be dead and his loved ones will know that justice was not truly served.
    Sounds like the Hinckley case
    Be Prepared

Same type of sit of the killer of my Father only stronger on the insane side. Yet this guy did 8.5 years in a state mental hospital and is now on the streets with no supervision. Do not expect real justice there is none. Only at the great bar of justice in the life to come justice will be meted out.

++ New Posts ++