WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    However one thru hiker had left a bear canister on the spur trail to the shelter. It was missing the next morning and as far as I know has not been recovered.
    I've used a canister successfully for years, but every method has its weak spot. The canister's Achilles heel is camping on ridgetops. You need to place the canister where a bear can work at it without it rolling away. Some ridgetop campsites can't meet that criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Assuming you’re asking a question here, no. It is not a good idea to tether a canister to a tree.

It’s not a good idea to tie any rope, string, line to a canister. If you do, that only gives a bear a nice convenient handle to carry it away. They won’t be able to get to the food inside, but they will carry it away.

You would then have to spend time just trying to recover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, I was asking a question - need to punctuate correctly next time. When I consider the bear bag hanging method all that comes to mind is (frisbee on the roof) getting the bag stuck in a tree! Guess I’ll have to practice! Thank you all for the good information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++