WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question South Virginia Section in June

Greetings all--I'm planning a SOBO section hike from I-81 in Groseclose/Atkins down to Damascus in early June. I know this is a popular hike. I just moved to the area and I'm itching to get out and see the sights.

My question, I know that is prime hiking season so I expect to see a lot of hikers out there. Will I be walking right into the bubble? I'm planning on leaving the first week in June because that is when my job ends. I'm a hammock camper and tend to avoid the shelters FWIW. I live in Atkins and have already encountered quite a few thrus around town and on my local section of trail however I've read on this forum that thru numbers are still down a bit compared to pre-quarantine.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Greetings all--I'm planning a SOBO section hike from I-81 in Groseclose/Atkins down to Damascus in early June. I know this is a popular hike. I just moved to the area and I'm itching to get out and see the sights.

My question, I know that is prime hiking season so I expect to see a lot of hikers out there. Will I be walking right into the bubble? I'm planning on leaving the first week in June because that is when my job ends. I'm a hammock camper and tend to avoid the shelters FWIW. I live in Atkins and have already encountered quite a few thrus around town and on my local section of trail however I've read on this forum that thru numbers are still down a bit compared to pre-quarantine.
    bubble will be further north - I think they already are actually

Lots of hammock options the whole way

A great alternate in the grayson highlands is the pine crest trail, very scenic

June will be very hot
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

This seems like it will be a little after the bubble although I expect you still pass a lot of people claiming to be thru-hikers. (I say that they're claiming to be thru-hikers because by June they ought to be further along if they expect to succeed. They still are hiking and taking up space, but the majority won't make Katahdin). Also, take comfort in the fact that the "bubble" will be a lot smaller and more spread out than say Georgia in April. And since you'll be hammocking, you should have no issues finding a place to camp.

I did Massey Gap to Atkins in early June 2019. It was not crowded. We (son and a friend) had Hurricane Mountain shelter to ourselves. There were a few people at Chatfield Shelter. Lots of places to tent. It was normal summer temps, modestly hot in the daytime but coolish at night. Lots of ridge walking, where there we lush ferns, so it was overall quite pleasant. Early June is often a different animal than mid July.

Images

This is my favorite section of the AT, and one of my favorite hikes. Early June will be lovely. Not too hot during the day, cool at night. Plenty of water. Long days, can hike well into the evening. The trail won't be packed with people, but you won't be alone much. Soooo many places to hang a hammock. Enjoy it!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks for all responses. I am doing same section May 11 to 16. Will post follow up. I’ve been following forecast and looks like it will be in 40s at nite. Will take my underquilt and light top quilt. Any comments from Akin area will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++