WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Question Storage of messy stuff?

What sort of containers do you use to store messy items like butter, oil, hot sauce, etc.

The rest of the food will fit fine in ziplock bags.

While we are on the subject, is there something "better" than ziploc bags for indiviual meals and dry components? Seems like I'll end up buying a truckload of bags by the end of the trip.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Nalgene sells mini squeeze bottles.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I carry my olive oil in a small nalgane bottle..as for hot sauce I carry dried red peper flakes.. and I don't separate out individual meals I carry bulk ingredients in plastic bags with an overhand knot in the top..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yellow Jacket
    Images

What sort of plastic pags do you use that you put the knot in? Seems like that might be a better solution than ziploc. The seams always wear out on them.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

Why change containers? Squeeze butter is just fine in what it comes in. Tabasco comes in a small bottle. One bottle will last you weeks (depending on how hot you like stuff).
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

There's a company out of Riverton, WY called Tweeds Wholesale...do an Internet search for the name...give'em a call and tell them you want to buy some of the bags like they use at NOLS in nearby Lander....the bags are two ply and tough and are long enough to tie a slip knot in the top so you can get in and out of it easily... They come in a couple of sizes so ask...they supply NOLS and will know what you want... YOu may have to buy in lots of 50 or 100...

If you're not familiar with NOLS, its the National Outdoor Leadership School (www.nols.edu)

Images

the food co-op I buy bulk food from ...I just use the plastic bags from there..they last a long time and there free..well included inthe price of the food anyway..I find the knot closed bag to be more secure than zip locks and lighter to...

why carry the fluid that is in tabasco sauce when you can just carry dried pepper flakes...if you are going to carry a hot sauce carry a good one like Melinda's garlic habernero..

Squeeze butter???why???olive oil all the way..a good extra Virgin one..I would NEVER eat that squeeze butter stuff...and that palstic containner it comes in is heavy..and for what???

but hey I use a lot of mail drops cause most of the stuff that I eat I can't find along the trail ...I never eat ramen noodles...I don't eat lipton meals...I think that kinda of stuff just sucks...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

I carry Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil (greener the better usually), and Real Maple Syrup.

For adding heat I bring cayenne pepper, chili flakes, and fresh chilis like serranos, & the lovely habaneros.

Nothing like flaming chili w/a fizzy soda you pack in for night #2.

Damn-It now I'm hungry!
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Maple sugar nuggets ain't bad eithier

Images

Maple sugar nuggets ain't bad eithier
    Nope, not bad at all. I love them. Expensive though
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Olive oil storage

Those small bottles from bottled water ("half pints") are 8 oz. (some are even smaller) and they are great for liquid oils. And they're free if you know someone who buys them...
    For maps and hiker info, check out http://www.trailregistry.com

++ New Posts ++