WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: jetboil

Images

Default jetboil

how many people use the jetboil neo

http://www.jetboil.com/

Default I do and...

...I love it.

Did my thru-hike with an alcohol stove and never seemed to master the art of cooking my noodles. One of my hiking partners, Charlie, had gas and was done eating by the time my water boiled.

Went cold...then canister gas...and finally after four thousand or so miles graduated to the Jetboil. Like my electric toothbrush, it's worth its weight.

I haven't payed any attention to comments on it here, but my guess is there are critics who don't like it because it is fancy smancy...and real backpackers hike out in the wilderness (like Daniel Boone) without a cell phone, MP3 player, 12 function watch, heated socks, silk clothes, electric tooth brush, electric shaver, $200 sunglasses and Mountain House meals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skeemer
    ...I love it.

Did my thru-hike with an alcohol stove and never seemed to master the art of cooking my noodles. One of my hiking partners, Charlie, had gas and was done eating by the time my water boiled.

Went cold...then canister gas...and finally after four thousand or so miles graduated to the Jetboil. Like my electric toothbrush, it's worth its weight.

I haven't payed any attention to comments on it here, but my guess is there are critics who don't like it because it is fancy smancy...and real backpackers hike out in the wilderness (like Daniel Boone) without a cell phone, MP3 player, 12 function watch, heated socks, silk clothes, electric tooth brush, electric shaver, $200 sunglasses and Mountain House meals.
    awesome man neo

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    how many people use the jetboil neo

http://www.jetboil.com/
    57,972 as of today!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Love Mine!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skeemer
    ...I love it.

I went from a Coleman Extreme to Esbits, to a catfood stove, then to a Mini Trangia kitchen. Very cool, and I was proud of myself for doing the alcohol thing. I still like the Trangia. But I tried a jetboil, and liked the weight (it is 2 oz less than a trangia with fuel bottle) and the speed. Took it on a winter trip, had hot tea in 3 minutes on top of a ridge in 8 in os snow. Packed up light and easy (h-m-m-m......worldview has been shaken.....).

I do not carry mp3, cell, heated socks, titanium sporks, $200 sunglasses, or silkies.

But I do carry my Jetboil.

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brancher
    I went from a Coleman Extreme to Esbits, to a catfood stove, then to a Mini Trangia kitchen. Very cool, and I was proud of myself for doing the alcohol thing. I still like the Trangia. But I tried a jetboil, and liked the weight (it is 2 oz less than a trangia with fuel bottle) and the speed. Took it on a winter trip, had hot tea in 3 minutes on top of a ridge in 8 in os snow. Packed up light and easy (h-m-m-m......worldview has been shaken.....).

I do not carry mp3, cell, heated socks, titanium sporks, $200 sunglasses, or silkies.

still rock and roll to me,awesome cool neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brancher

i did the esbit stove,mini trangia,pepsi alcohol stove,msr wisperlite stove
    but the jet boil rules neo

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    Love Mine!
    excellent neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lbbrown
    57,972 as of today!
    beep beep neo

Just bought one and plan to use it this summer.

Question about fuel usage:

I'll probably be boiling about 3-4 cups and night and 1-2 cups in the morning.

May/June temps

about how many days can the small Jetboil cannisters last at that usage level?

Also, the large Snow Peak cannisters?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Haven't tried one yet ...but I'm not ruling it out in the future. At first glance it seems like a large package to me and the pot is narrow and deep.

Did my thru in 2003 with a Trangia and an Evernew 0.9 Liter pot. Never had a problem with it. I own 5 - 6 propane/butane stoves so I'm not a stranger to the concept. I just got tired of carrying the cannisters and even moreso the fact that they couldn't be refilled. Alcohol was cheap, easy to find and I could use the same container.

One thing for sure ...the first company/person that comes up with a refillable cannister will turn the market on its ear.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joel137
    Just bought one and plan to use it this summer.

Question about fuel usage:

I'll probably be boiling about 3-4 cups and night and 1-2 cups in the morning.

May/June temps

about how many days can the small Jetboil cannisters last at that usage level?

Also, the large Snow Peak cannisters?
    i carry the larger cannister it lasts me over 2 weeks cooking 2 times per day
    not bad for 7 oz of fuel neo

Nope. Doesn't fit my cooking style at all. Sticking with the alky stove and Ti pot.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Nope. Doesn't fit my cooking style at all. Sticking with the alky stove and Ti pot.
    can you cook 2 meals a day for over 2 weeks on 7 oz of alcohol neo

Doesn't matter if I could or not, the Jetboil only allows one to boil water in a skinnyass cup. Not how I cook my food. I also do a fair amount of frying, which I don't think the JB can do. (correct me if I'm wrong)

And besides, my alky stove is efficient enough... 12 ounces usually lasts me two weeks. There comes a point when getting any lighter/more efficient/"better" starts to come at a serious cost to convenience. The Jetboil passed that point for me, though I understand that it does work great for those who do "boil water" foods only. For the limited gain in efficiency, the loss of flexability just isn't worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender
    Doesn't matter if I could or not, the Jetboil only allows one to boil water in a skinnyass cup. Not how I cook my food. I also do a fair amount of frying, which I don't think the JB can do. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I don't think this is available for retail purchase yet, but the Jetboil GCS (group cooking system) will do just that:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook...ems/Group-(GCS)
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman
    I don't think this is available for retail purchase yet, but the Jetboil GCS (group cooking system) will do just that:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook...ems/Group-(GCS)
    That is nice, and I may consider it for kayaking trips, but it's too heavy for backpacking at 19 oz. empty. My whole system, including stove, stand, and pot weighs in at 8.5 ounces. But that's a really good system for kayaking... hmmmm... may think about getting it.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I use a pocket rocket MSR, Its great, light and meets MY needs. When you get into boiling more than one meal a sitting I have found it is still ok-when the weather is warm.

I recently short-sectioned (3-18/19) in PA. (Fox Gap to Little Gap) I took the pocket rocket and found that it performed pretty good around 35 degrees however as soon as that cannister gets below 30, due to the gas thickening the reliability of this stove goes downhill quick.

I tried my partners jet-boil (1st time Ive used one and I have to say it seems like the real deal)

I need more experiences in it in cold weather to sell me though. How is it in a constant 10-20 degree range. Anybody??
    )
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[quote=HIKER7s] however as soon as that cannister gets below 30, due to the gas thickening the reliability of this stove goes downhill quick
    =================================
    You can avoid this by keeping the canniser in your sleeping bag at night. I've cooked with propane/butane at temps near or below zero. Once the stove is lit the heat from the burner transfers to the cannister and there is no problem maintaining good vapor flow.

That said ...I pretty much always cook with alcohol these days, especially on longer hikes. For weekends I will sometimes pull out my pocket rocket or primus head and a small cannister though.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++