WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Pinkham Notch Visitors Center

I want to send a food resupply box to Pinkham Notch Visitors Center. I've looked in Guthooks and the center doesn't have the post letter icon included. Has anyone ever sent a resupply box there?
    I know the phone number is listed and I can give them a call...just wondered if anyone has sent a box there before....if no response, I'll give them a call...thanks Bubblehead
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

They have a long history of accepting and holding resupply packages for hikers. They held a package for me last August.

I sent a box there no problem, but actually to the Joe Dodge Lodge, which is on the same property. The address I used was

The Joe Dodge Lodge
    361 Rt. 16
    Gorham NH 03581

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't believe mail is delivered to Pinkham. They have to drive to Gorham and pick it up at the PO. Joe Dodge Lodge is a goodly distance down hill from Pinkham Notch. It's near the 19 Mile brook trail leading to Carter Notch.

You'd best call them for details.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As Deacon stated. Being cordial, non arrogant non snobbish - humble- unpretentious - patient, indiscriminately inquiring, communicating I was on a thru hike or different LASHes they have generously offered handsome hiker room discounts when picking up a mailed resupply box. HYOH does not have to be approached with a totally self absorbed mindset.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the replies Captain Blue, Deacon, and Slo-go'en. Not sure what Dogwood's reply was all about????
    I finished my LASH there in 2019, so I know where it's at. Thanks again!
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Foothills Trail 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't believe mail is delivered to Pinkham. They have to drive to Gorham and pick it up at the PO. Joe Dodge Lodge is a goodly distance down hill from Pinkham Notch. It's near the 19 Mile brook trail leading to Carter Notch.

You'd best call them for details.
    You may be confused. Camp Dodge is down the road just north of 19 mile brook trailhead across from the Great Gulf parking lot. It is the non public volunteer and camp support base for AMC operations in the whites. AT hikers and in general the public would have no reason to go there, its a few miles from the AT via the Great Gulf trail. The accommodations at AMC Pinkham Notch facility (actually a cluster of several public and non public buildings) are located in the Joe Dodge Lodge a separate building from the main building. The OPs resupply box would sent to the Pinkham Notch Center where the AT crosses RT 16. To pick it up an AT hiker would go to the information desk in the main building and show ID (note my info is from few years ago). In the past ((Pre Covid)the staff at the Pinkham reportedly have been given some flexibility in filling last minute unfilled slots at the lodge. There are private rooms as well as bunkrooms plus Pinkham has a buffet breakfast which can be problematical for Northbounders looking to get a early start up the near vertical climb up out of the notch awaiting them 15 minutes away My guess is Covid restrictions may still be in place so actual operarations may change slightly but they seem to be handling the Tuckerman's spring skiing crowds.

Camp Dodge is on WMNF land operated under a special use permit. In the last few years AMC got funding and permission to substantially build up Camp Dodge into a "Trail Stewardship" facility and also expanded to shift staff and operations from Pinkham Notch down to Camp Dodge. "Trail Stewardship" is a revenue stream for AMC, they offer various programs where people pay to volunteer and also do youth at risk funded programs based out of Camp Dodge.

Sorry, I did confuse Camp Dodge with the Joe Dodge hotel at the notch.

Still, you'd best call to find out if they still pick up packages at the PO for hikers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

My Lash from there NOBO starts 7/26. I'll be sure to give the visitor's center and Joe Dodge Lodge a call in early July...thanks for all the info...
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Foothills Trail 2023

Journal Entries

Correction, I'll be leaving Crawford Notch NOBO on 7/26....expecting to be at Pinkham Notch 7/29...
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Foothills Trail 2023

How does the Ignore tab work to stop seeing a member's thread's or posts?

++ New Posts ++