WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Unicoi Gap to Springer Mo. Trailhead

Hello!
    My hiking pal and I are headed to the AT for the first time in a couple of weeks. We planned on parking our vehicle at Unicoi gap and taking a shuttle or something to the trailhead. Hiking North back up to our car.
    Any advice on the logisitics of this?
    Are there several of shuttles doing these routes, do I need to have something lined up ahead of time?
    Thanks in advance!

#firsttimers
    -If it betters our world, I'm here for it. ♥

Yes, several shuttles. Try donald ballard, further shuttle. Unicoi gap has trouble with car break ins, I might think about flipping it and hiking back to Springer.

You definitely should plan ahead to ensure you have a ride. I suggest you download the Whiteblaze Shuttle List here and contact a few of the shuttle drivers for the given area. Some other forum members who are more local to the area will probably post more suggestions.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Ron Brown in the shuttle list and google search is top notch as well May already be booked for only a few weeks out.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Maybe you would want to leave your car at the Around the Bend hostel. There has been vandalism issues at Unicoi Gap. just a thought.

Ron Brown (Facebook page- Ron's Appalachian Trail Shuttle) and the Ballards (Facebook - the Further Shuttle Appalachian) are probably the two most popular shuttle drivers in that area, for good reason. I've never personally used Ron, but I've heard great things. I have personally used the Further Shuttle on numerous occasions and I'd trust Donald and Mary to get my Grandma to a wedding on time if she needed a ride. They're great. Both Ron and the Further Shuttle are easy to find on Facebook.

As far as Unicoi, my friend had his fog lights stolen of his Jeep at Unicoi Gap, so as others have said, be careful parking there. I personally left a rental car there for several days with no issues, but there was nothing inside or outside worth taking.

Thanks for all of your help.
    I will try contacting Ron today!
    I dont think my vehicle would be appealing to any theifs but you never know. I'll discuss parking our vehicle somewhere else with my trail campanion and go from there.
    Can't say thank you enough!!
    -If it betters our world, I'm here for it. ♥

++ New Posts ++