WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Filtering Chemicals

Most of my near term hiking where I could need to filter water is in farming country. It's often difficult to be certain the natural areas of the midwest aren't below a corn field.

So I want to be able to filter chemicals too. I have a Versa Flow and I'm aware they have an inline charcoal screw on option but I figured I would see what else is out there before I buy it.

What other options do I have to remove pesticides and the like from water that isn't going to add a pound to my load?

Images

I have an older one of these. Should do what you want, except for adding the pound (and another half)! https://www.amazon.com/General-Ecolo...0403043&sr=8-1

wow that sounds amazing!

Journal Entries

Lifestraw has an activated charcoal stage of some of their filter. The carbon stage is only rated for 26 gallons however.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I have an older one of these. Should do what you want, except for adding the pound (and another half)! https://www.amazon.com/General-Ecolo...0403043&sr=8-1
    My very first water filter I ever bought back in the early 90's looked like that. Might still have it in a box in storage. Didn't know they still sold it. Very heavy for a filter by today's standards. And a $155!? Way overpriced too.

Images

I agree. It didn't cost near that much when I got mine. Not even allowing for inflation!

Like some smart fellow mentioned on a another thread, not mentioning no names but "me" the Sawyer S3 .
    Do some research

And you have to trade weight for safety sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Do some research
    What exactly do you think this is?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingember View Post
    What exactly do you think this is?
    An open forum to like minded people like us of course.
    Which is what this is all about, I was just suggesting research the Sawyer S3 for your safety concerns that's all .

Y'all have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    My very first water filter I ever bought back in the early 90's looked like that. Might still have it in a box in storage. Didn't know they still sold it. Very heavy for a filter by today's standards. And a $155!? Way overpriced too.
    That's kinda like comparing a Prius to that Model-T you used to have. Both about the same length and width. Both with four wheels. Look pretty much the same. But what's with the price of the Prius at $25,000 when the Model T only cost $825 ($18,000 in 2021 dollars). Prius is way over priced too.

Getting that General Ecology filter price down below $200 including their more complex filter matrix is way more impressive than getting a simple 0.1 micron hollow fiber filter, like the Sawyer Squeeze, down below $30.

It's kinda ridiculous that it took so long to get something as simple and as cheap as the Sawyer Squeeze to market as it did. We were using simple hollow fiber filters, much like the Sawyer, for sterilizing water in the lab 15 to 20 years before the Sawyer came out. Of course, we were also using Nalgene bottles in the lab for decades before they ever became available for retail sales to the outdoor industry.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++