LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Backpack suggestions

Looking for backpack recommendations for my AT thru hike. I went to REI because I was having trouble adjusting my old aura 50. They couldn't get that one, or really any other pack to sit properly on my shoulders without gaps. The closest we got was with the newer aura and with a deuter aircontact. Also on all packs I was a small size for the back, but the shoulder straps were as short as they could go which may be problematic as my body changes on a thru hike. I'm 5'3", slim, short torso with wide hips. Any suggestions?

Maybe go semi-custom? ULA let’s you select separate torso and m waist sizes. They also have 2 different shoulder straps - J or S curve. I’d look at the ULA Circuit.

Sorry it’s not REI but I think it might be more in line with your needs. Unfortunately, orders take a couple weeks. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

My partner likes her ULA Circuit. She has the S-curve shoulder straps and they fit her well. The pack can be ordered in several torso lengths, with different sizxe hip belts, too.

Big outfitters like REI appear to have a giant selection of packs -- look at all those packs!! But in reality, they are almost all the same two or three sizes, with limited choices for hip belts and shoulder straps.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I was also going to suggest ULA. They are great to work with if you reach out and tell them what you need. I use the Ohm but have also used the Circuit and Catalyst.

Helium. There is a post in today's forums about it. They hand make your pack to fit you.

++ New Posts ++