WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2000 Miler and Hangtags Reinstated

The ATC has resumed recognition of 2000 milers, and is again issuing hangtags.

https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...vid-19-update/

I lost all interest in the ATC when they came out woke.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The ATC has resumed recognition of 2000 milers, and is again issuing hangtags.

https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...vid-19-update/
    that's fairly special

Interesting.

About a month ago, ATC told me via e-mail that vaccinated people could spread the virus and that was why they would not recognize it. I guess vaccines got more sciency since then.

Journal Entries
    Images

No miles hiked after the pause of the 2000 miler program (March 31, 2020) and before the date of this announcement (May 11, 2021) can be counted.

There are to be no exceptions for miles hiked in full compliance with all local, state, agency and federal regulations and guidelines during that period.

Really?

While I can understand the ATC’s decision not to confer an award on those who break the “morals clause” stated on their application form, this blanket disqualification is just dumb.

Time for hikers to reject the award, rather than allow the to ATC to reject them.

It is an anachronism.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I lost all interest in the ATC when they came out woke.
    It's more than that.

Congress designated the ATC as the maintainer/care taker of the trail. COVID in no way hurts the trail, its infrastructure or the animals nearby. Science!

NO ONE authorized the ATC to manage people for the good of The People.

Remember, it is a government of the people, by the people, for the people. The bureaucrats and their self-ordained lackies sometimes forget this, and we need remind them!
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    It's more than that.

Congress designated the ATC as the maintainer/care taker of the trail. COVID in no way hurts the trail, its infrastructure or the animals nearby. Science!

Remember, it is a government of the people, by the people, for the people. The bureaucrats and their self-ordained lackies sometimes forget this, and we need remind them!
    Sadly, it's attitudes like this which is why we still have a pandemic and that it has lasted as long as it has.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sadly, it's attitudes like this which is why we still have a pandemic and that it has lasted as long as it has.
    BlackCloud is 100% correct. ATC grossly exceeded their charter (they never had the authority) by attempting to close the entire AT because of COVID. COVID had no effect on the AT.

And you are so wrong about blackclouds "attitude." You don't have one single piece of evidence/science to back up your accusation against him and others like him.

Images

"That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    BlackCloud is 100% correct. ATC grossly exceeded their charter (they never had the authority) by attempting to close the entire AT because of COVID. COVID had no effect on the AT.

And you are so wrong about blackclouds "attitude." You don't have one single piece of evidence/science to back up your accusation against him and others like him.
    The ATC did not "close" the AT. The NPS and the states did. All the ATC did was stop issuing pack tags, certificates and encouraged people to stay home. COViD had no affect on the AT? Maybe enough people did the right thing and stayed away was a big part of that. If you look at the towns the AT passes through or by, I'm sure you'll see COVID has had an impact on the residents. Your freedom ends when it potentially affects my health. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

I'm surprised alligator let it go on this long
    slo-go-en is still wrong but I'm going to just leave it at that.
    His opinion is in the minority. The ATC is being savagely (and justifiably) ridiculed on a number of hiker forums and youtube channels this NOBO season by people expressing opinions very similar to blackclouds and mine.

It's more than that.

Your logic is full of holes. The NPS has designated the ATC as the land manager for the trail.
    In 1983 the NPS formally delegated management responsibilities to the Appalachian Trail Conference for lands directly administered by the ATPO with the EXCEPTION of the following responsibilities:

• Law Enforcement
    • Special Park Uses
    • Land Acquisition on behalf of the United States
    • Boundary Survey
    • Structure Removal
    • Removal of Hazardous Materials
    • Fulfilling Agency Compliance Requirements per Federal Laws and Executive Orders
    Notice this does not exclude public health (the health of the population as a whole, especially as the subject of government regulation and support). Multiple states issued legally binding public area restrictions and legally binding travel restrictions, multiple federal agencies including agencies involved with managing the trail also issued Covid-19 restrictions as well as guidance. The ATC chose to not issue hangtags and certificates that they are responsible for in the first place in order to discourage thruhiking in the face of a pandemic, a pandemic that has killed over 600,000 Americans. Land managers have responsibilities to keep the public safe.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The ATC did not "close" the AT. The NPS and the states did. All the ATC did was stop issuing pack tags, certificates and encouraged people to stay home.
    This is exactly right.

To my way of thinking it was also appropriate for the ATC to issue its recommendations on the wisdom of hiking during Covid.

Further, as long as they have that “morals clause” in the 2,000 miler application I have no problem with them withholding a certificate whenever an applicant disregards laws and common decency in the quest to complete the trail.

But declaring anyone who hiked during their window of shame to be unworthy is different.

They did this to at least one section hiker who complied with all the rules (in letter and spirit) when he completed his last stretch of the AT this past August.

I am sure there are many such stories.

Solution is simple — the ATC should get out 2,000 Miler game and focus on whatever they are focusing on now.

“. a pandemic that has killed over 600,000 Americans…

Which is more Americans than died in WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, and the Gulf Wars combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    I'm surprised alligator let it go on this long
    slo-go-en is still wrong but I'm going to just leave it at that.
    His opinion is in the minority. The ATC is being savagely (and justifiably) ridiculed on a number of hiker forums and youtube channels this NOBO season by people expressing opinions very similar to blackclouds and mine.
    Just because some folks express one opinion doesn’t mean that those who express opposite ones are in the minority. I find the ATC to have been a little sanctimonious, but not at all rising to the level of justified savaging. Perhaps those doing so are a bit savage themselves, an adjective I don’t intend as complimentary.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Just because some folks express one opinion doesn’t mean that those who express opposite ones are in the minority. I find the ATC to have been a little sanctimonious, but not at all rising to the level of justified savaging. Perhaps those doing so are a bit savage themselves, an adjective I don’t intend as complimentary.
    I agree with this. I plan to continue to support the ATC, and support their efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I bristle at bureaucratic bs too,and I especially hate have to figure out spell bureau when writing by hand. But the framers certainly never intended an of, by and for the peeps government. Because most of us aren’t capable of fulfilling the requisite responsibilities, myself included.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't have an issue with the ATC or NPS closing the trail. I get it the were looking at the data that was around from Coronavirus. I also listened to backpacker radio with Andrew Downs of the ATC. I think the 19 mill they got for the pipeliine is fine I was at all the open meetings..The money secured the trail more. I suggest look up that pod cast and listen to it.Pont blank I dont trust politicians as far as I can throw them. I learned that at 19 dealing with them trying to get a photo op. I can actually agree somewhat with Blackcloud...NBUt I would say that the ATC should handle the certificate issue on a case by case As some said there is warrant for some...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I'm confused...are the people that despise and slam the ATC angry because they couldn't get a piece of paper and tag from that same ATC? I could take it or leave it during my good year, 2018. Circumstances being what they were last year I would hope that those simple tokens from the organization, when they had big fish to fry, would seem trivial.

To each their own-I dont donate because i saw examples of frivolous spending (like some mtn clubs) but I NEVER ONCE sensed any kind of overreach in all my time on trail. Print your own certy and Etsy a tag.

Then you'll feel like it really happened...friendly sarcasm, dont come swinging.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    I think the 19 mill they got for the pipeliine is fine I was at all the open meetings..The money secured the trail more.
    I agree - and that podcast you referenced was excellent. I recall that listeners were encouraged to watch closely how the money was spent.

The ATC provided some detail on one round of spending. Whether one finds these projects worthwhile or not, they do show something of a “mission creep” within the ATC — which is part of the reason some object to the ATC’s decisions on tags and certificates.

Anyway, here are some of the places they are spending the pipeline money:

he Community Impact Grant program will support the following organizations and programs:

• Giles County ($300,000): Funds will be used to develop the Giles County Trail Center near Mountain Lake, providing an information source for local trails, designated parking and restroom facilities, and access to the A.T., Mountain Lake trails and Bald Knob, the tallest point in Giles County.
    • Friends of Monroe County ($43,100): Funds will lead to the development and publication of a Monroe County visitor’s guide, and the hiring of two AmeriCorps interns who will assist in historic preservation, capacity building and cultural heritage tourism, which will help boost local outdoor recreation economies.
    • Roanoke Parks and Recreation ($20,000): Funds will support a year-long Outdoor Adventure Club for underserved urban youth, introducing them to hiking, camping, rock climbing, caving, paddling, skiing and conservation projects; and will provide the bikes, helmets, mobile features and maintenance supplies needed to continue a mountain bike education program for the next five years.
    • The Humble Hustle Company, Inc ($40,000): Funds will create a new part-time position that will support the Company’s mission to empower black youth and connect diverse communities, engaging youth in the greater Roanoke area in environmental education, activism and environment-based service opportunities.
    • Wonder Universe: A Children’s Museum ($40,000): Funds will assist in educating children on the flora and fauna found on the Trail, and introduce signage and markers for responsible exploration, A.T. history and lore, and environmental stewardship on the A.T.
    • Mountain Lake Biological Station ($11,000): Funds will design and construct a publicly accessible, ADA-compliant, all-age appropriate interpretive trail and native plant restoration plot, which will highlight the natural history, land-use history, scientific research, and land management and conservation challenges of the area.
    • Mountain Castles Soil & Water Conservation District ($16,000): Funds will be used to implement the Plant and Animal Relatives of the Blue Ridge Curriculum Project, which will help teachers demonstrate to students the interconnected web of ecological relationships and to foster a strong connection to place, including on the ancestral lands of the Monacan.
    • The Mayapple School ($23,000): Funds will expand summer camp programming for 100-120 campers ages 3 to 15, including one overnight backpacking adventure on a section of the A.T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++