WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: My DIY mini-AT

Cool My DIY mini-AT

If I can't go tot he AT, I'll bring the AT to me, sort of. Some pics of the DIY .5 mile trail I created on my property. No shelter, no privvie. Maybe a tiny shelter later, but for now I just have a small tent site.
    I'm using it to train my young backpackers prior to our semi-annual trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it ... I have thought of doing the same thing on my 90 acers.

Images

It's been a long time since I took my then pre-school kids out in the "wilds" of the AT in NJ for the first time. Having the mock-up of life on the trail with the bail-out safety of home if needed is a great idea! But keep an eye out for those WB stealth campers. Putting up an AMC sign should scare them off
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I just returned from 100 miles in Virginia. I was ready to get off the trail and come home, so seeing your photos triggered a hint of PTSD: "Oh no! More white blazes! More climbs! More rocks!" IE, you trail is a great facsimile of the real thing. Ack! "Take Me Home Country Roads." "Hey, It's Good to be Back Home Again."

Great start. Not nearly overused enough though.

Lives are always better when we build trails in our back woods.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Sorry to hear you get that feeling. I usually do 10 days and there are times when I feel like its "oh no" time but once I'm within a day or two of the end, I start thinking "oh no, I am not ready to go home". I meet one couple who thru hiked the AT and they said they had huge respect for section hikers because we dont get a chance to get really good trail legs etc. so everytime I think the trail is hard or I have had enough I realized part of that is because we dont stay on the trail and that means longer is better so I'm always disappointed to have to go home and loose any gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    I just returned from 100 miles in Virginia. I was ready to get off the trail and come home, so seeing your photos triggered a hint of PTSD: "Oh no! More white blazes! More climbs! More rocks!" IE, you trail is a great facsimile of the real thing. Ack! "Take Me Home Country Roads." "Hey, It's Good to be Back Home Again."

Two thumbs up from me! That's fantastic. This is like the hiker's version of Field of Dreams.

Watch out for tourists ... and Grandma Gatewood walking out of the rhododendrons, saying, "is this Heaven, er, I mean, Newfound Gap?"

I love the idea. Coincidentally, I was cutting maple saplings in my piney woods to use as garden supports for my tomatoes when the same thought occurred to me. Nothing grand, just a little path through the woods and back meadow for the grandkids, with a side trail to my hammocking spot on the hillside.

How beautiful, and what a fantastic idea!

White blazes even. You should make a blue blazed shortcut and debate if you should use it or not.

Journal Entries

Love this idea!

We have 12 acres, about 2/3 wooded. I have made trails all over the place. Used to be a loop about a mile long, but I've added side loops and spur trails so I don't know what the total is anymore. No privies, no shelters, but the Appalachian Trail is definitely the motive and the model. I even have a Honeysuckle Wilderness area that's meant to mimic the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I'm working on developing a campground near what we think was an old homesite (there's a cistern and some plants that wouldn't normally be in the woods).

I've often thought it would be neat for someone to develop a 10-mile stretch that really approximates the Trail, the climbs, the balds, the deep forests, the rocks, the creeks, etc. I'm not sure there's a place that would have enough varied terrain to do all that.

Yea, a Blue Blaze straight back to the house to the "spring" and Trail Magic from their mother and if they complete enough loops they earn a bag tag too.
    No bag tags here; my kids do things for the pride of accomplishment, not a reward or token.
    I do need to find some better white paint.
    Trail maintenance is a piece of cake.

I likes it, I likes it alot , great job!

are the kids helping with the building of the trails?
    And have you had to dig any cat holes yet?
    Since there's no privy of course, curious minds up at night.

Are you giving thru hike certificates?

That's too cool! My brother and I made a hiking/running trail somewhat similar to yours on our land. It's about .9 miles round trip, more if you take some of the spurs and alternates we've hacked out, great for morning runs for me and afternoon walks for my wife. I do like your white blazes. Might have to steal that idea.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

needs some mud

Yes, my kids did help. Sort of my trail mini-maintenance crew. I'm going to make a blue blaze to our pool; seems more fitting. No thru hike certificates but will award a prize for fastest 3 mile circuit.
    Definitely no catholes, they can run to the house for that.
    I made the trail over one washout and to keep it real which will be really muddy when it rains. I need to have one blowdown but my wife said no; it's her walking path too.
    And no masks or vaccines required.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    needs some mud
    Ah, a Vermuder chimes in.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Ah, a Vermuder chimes in.
    They tell me that some parts of the AT are smooth and dry, like a hiker's Nirvana. I'll have to check it out.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can help me. I have about 1.5 of my 3 acres is wooded w/ trails. Soon going to be my horse's if I can get some storm damage clear.

I have a frame of an old tree house looking long view toward Linville Gorge. And a Mountains to Sea Trail carsonite for one of my trailheads from my previous maintaining work.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++