WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chavens
    Images

Default College Students

Just wondering if there are any other future thru-hikers that are currently in college or just graduated. I'll be graduating in December of this year, and then plan on hiking beginning in March of 2007.

Are any other hikers dealing with the same issues with college that I am, such as securing internships for after I complete my hike, and what to do about repaying my loans upon graduation if I'll be hiking?

Thanks to any comments.

Hey,

I'm headed out June 1st for an ECT SOBO. I've decided to just wing it all. Not worry about loans, not worry about a job, nothing. For 21 years I've had plans in my future, I want to see what it is like to live without a plan. What effect this will have on me, I do not know. But it is time to be irresponsible for once.

Good luck with your hike,

Ryan

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chavens
    Just wondering if there are any other future thru-hikers that are currently in college or just graduated. I'll be graduating in December of this year, and then plan on hiking beginning in March of 2007.

Are any other hikers dealing with the same issues with college that I am, such as securing internships for after I complete my hike, and what to do about repaying my loans upon graduation if I'll be hiking?

Thanks to any comments.
    We were in your shoes (somewhat) before our thru. We both graduated Dec 17, 2003. We got married Jan 4, 2004, took a 10-day real honeymoon to HI, and we left for the trail Feb 1, 2004. We returned home from our thru mid-July 2004, and had moved to another state and began work by the first week in August 2004.

We were lucky that neither of us had college loans. I had scholarships, and my wife's dad helped pay for her schooling. So, when we left for the trail, we didnt have any bills. We stopped the apartment lease, stopped cell phones, stopped every other payment. Both our cars were already paid for. We bought temporary health insurance, put stuff into storage, and were off.

As far as jobs, I had already applied to several jobs and several graduate schools with them knowing that I wouldnt be starting til the fall. I didnt tell them the reason why because I did not want to seem unprofessional. If they asked, I told them we planned to do some travelling.

I contacted both the companies I applied with and the grad schools periodically from the trail, checking in on my status. In the end, we found that I was accepted to grad school and was offered a job in the same city. Thats what I took. i now work while going to school.

The point is, you arent cut off from the world on the trail unless you want to be. I was able to manage all this while on the trail having the time of our lives.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I am graduating from grad school this spring and going SOBO starting in June.

There is a grace period between when you finish school and when you have to start paying your loans. Also look into different payment options. I am just going to start looking for a job when I get back. Right now I am working a part time job to pay for everything when I am gone.

Plenty of options about how to go about your hike. Find the one that works for you

Chavens
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer
    There is a grace period between when you finish school and when you have to start paying your loans.
    Yea, I get a 6-month grace period after I graduate in December...which should put me near the half-way point when I start having to pay the loans back lol. I guess I can just set up some kind of automatic payment plan.

My primary concern is not being able to find a job when I get back. I've already sent out my resume for full time jobs now, but nobody will hire me this early...they all want to apply closer to when I can start working. Oh well, I'm sure it'll all work out.

If it doesn't, there's always the option of not thru-hiking

Chavens~
    I am in the very same boat as you! I graduate with my Masters here at the Univ. of AZ at the end of this summer and a year from now I am off on the trail. It is difficult to tell future employers that my availability is in August 2007! What it came down to for me was understanding that there is no better time for me to fulfill this dream, I am young, unattached (no family of my own), dirt poor and extremely motivated. I leave the future when I return up to chance, deciding that my experiences on the trail are worth it! If I were you I wouldn't look back, go for the trail, and believe that things always work out in the end. Best of luck in your decision.

Wildcat

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

If it doesn't, there's always the option of not thru-hiking

i think you have it wrong. that's not an option.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I looked into it also, and I do not think anyone will hire me this far in advance. I am going to put together a list of companies and web sites that I want to send my resume to when I get back. That should save some time when I get back.

Or maybe I will get back and not want a job.

Yea, I get a 6-month grace period after I graduate in December...which should put me near the half-way point when I start having to pay the loans back lol. I guess I can just set up some kind of automatic payment plan.
    I learned this the hard but if you are going to consoladate your loans, to it before the end of the grace period. If you do, you get a percent point or more less interest. Plus all of the different loans (read one per quarter/semeter) will come do and want their money all at once.

im a part time college student (part time so i can hold down a full time waitressing job to save money for a thru-hike) and def plan to thru-hike in 2008 i dont really have the same concerns u do cause im getting my masters after my thru hike then going for a job as an outdoor educator...so i guess my thru hike actually helps my career but i do feel ur pains with loans and entering the real world after a thru-hike (does that make sense?) im hoping ill meet lots of ppl like us on the trail
    limbo
    professional enthusiast:banana

from talking to ppl i think after gradguating/before entering the "real world" is the best time to thru-hike...not a lot of outside stress....cept it seems the opposite for you

why cant the AT be the "real world"????
    limbo
    professional enthusiast:banana

Chavens
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Limbohiker
    im getting my masters after my thru hike then going for a job as an outdoor educator...
    What exactly is an outdoor educator? just curious...

BTW, what college do you go to? I don't live too far from York...I probably know of it. I'm a Shippensburg student myself

I'll also be graduating with my masters in Dec. then starting my hike. I have been working through school so I don't have any loans. 2 weeks after i get back I will be getting married. After that I will most likely work some temperary job (construction, landscape, tutor, etc.) until I can find a job in my feild. I just think it would be too hard to line up a full time job before I leave.

i am currently a senior in highschool, and i was wondering of all you college students, is it generally hard/ impossible to do a thru hike over a summer, what with the early ending and all?

Chavens
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by betic4lyf
    i am currently a senior in highschool, and i was wondering of all you college students, is it generally hard/ impossible to do a thru hike over a summer, what with the early ending and all?
    Well that depends how early you get out. My college ends its spring semester after the second week in May. That would give you only 3 1/2 months untill school starts up again at the end of August.

If you were to take off the fall semester, that would give you about 5 months to hike until October 15, with is when I think the route to Katahdin closes.

Default I hope!

Im finishing up my junior year of college on May 5th and plan on getting to Springer on May 7th. I hope to finsh but it could be an unattainable goal seeing how I have to be back in school Sept 1. May have to run a couple days or might just get up to Mass. and walk to Boston stinky and dirty and just go to class of course without showering.

im in the same boat.....i graduate in december and im seriously aiming for a late march NOBO start date.

my biggest concern is finding a job beforehand that would allow me to delay my start date until i (hopefully) finish the trail

currently i am workin part time (sales) while in school and think that i could take the time off to hike starting in mid-march and then continue with the same company after completion, but as full time.....this would give me some income while i found a "real job"

ive yet to discuss this with my boss, so who knows

the other side of this issue is that i definitely dont see this job as long term and definintely plan to move on to something more substantial...im just worried about actually finding a job afterwards

Same here. Done in December 2006...that is about as far as my "life plans" go. I figured if I am going to be jobless and homeless, I might as well be on the AT. Grew up in Harpers Ferry and always wanted to try it.

I am worried about the money thing, and doing an unpaid internship this summer doesn't help. I am working a little during school and will hopefully be able to find a job after the summer while I finish my classes and that I don't mind quitting March.

After that, I'm going to quit the job go to GA and head up toward ME. I figure that 6 months or so will give me a good emount of time to figure out what I want to do when I return to the "real world".

Can't wait to see everyone out there. CHEERS!

Images

I plan on finishing a semester early, so I can start NOBO in late winter/early spring and finish before I plan on starting graduate school in the fall.

Hopefully I will take off the second semester of next year, my sophomore year, and hike from early March to August. I am a little nervous about telling my parents this, but I think once they make it through the initial shock they will be okay. I have no debts, and now I am just trying to save the money neccesary.
    -Geoffrey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++