WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    On my thru hike I had that issue. I ended up getting 2 plastic strap loops for those (the rounded rectangle with a bar through the center type, sort of like Φ but squared off instead of a circle and got them to hold the ends on either side (by removing the main buckle temporarily to get this in place. This held the pack strap firm, but adjusting it was much more difficult but still possible. On my thru I didn't need to readjust it much and was a big win.

That's a good idea. Not permanent either.

I have a newish Kelty external frame pack on which the load lifters loosen up as I hike. Having them correctly adjusted makes hiking so much easier - it practically propels me forward. When they loosen, the pack tugs backward on me via my shoulders/collarbone. The loosening would not be from wear and tear. Perhaps it's from the angle the strap and buckle make (at a certain angle, it is designed to slip, of course), or maybe the buckle is slightly oversized for the strap thickness. IDK.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I can shrug up the pack and cinch the belt a little while hardly breaking stride. I usually have to do it a few times in the morning because nylon stretches as it absorbs moisture. As it will when it's riding in close contact with a sweaty hiker.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I can shrug up the pack and cinch the belt a little while hardly breaking stride. I usually have to do it a few times in the morning because nylon stretches as it absorbs moisture. As it will when it's riding in close contact with a sweaty hiker.
    This... Some time ago I noticed I didn't have to adjust my pack hip belt nearly as frequently in winter conditions as I do in summer conditions. It took me a while to figure out sweat moisture was the primary culprit and that I wasn't dropping weight so quickly I had to keep countering it with the hip belt (though I did enjoy that concept for a short time to be honest).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++