WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    641
    Images
    279

    Default Keeping Hip Belt Tight

    Anyone have any tips to keep your hip belt from loosening as you walk?

    I have a backpack I like, but keep having to tighten the belt.

  2. #2

    Default

    Loop the free end under the belt, next to your shirt? Might need to examine the buckle and perhaps replace it. Might not have enough "teeth" or they are worn.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-01-2014
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,479

    Default

    Years ago I had this problem on a pack that pulled from two directions. Sitting in camp, I used a needle and thread and stitched on side of the strap down which solved 1/2 the problem. Then, for the rest of that packs life (a couple decades), when carrying a load big enough to cause slippage, I tucked the loose end under and around the buckle into an overhand knot. I had to untie the know to adjust the length, but in all, it worked surprisingly satisfactorily.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Anyone have any tips to keep your hip belt from loosening as you walk?

    I have a backpack I like, but keep having to tighten the belt.
    Question---is the pack new or old?? All worn pack harness systems slip due to two factors---worn plastic buckles and worn webbing. Once it happens there's no fixing it except full replacement of buckles and webbing, a tough job requiring some major sewing with awls etc. Replacing the entire hipbelt from the company might be the best option.

  5. #5

    Default

    I find that in my "newer" packs that those where the adjustment on the hip belt is to pull forwards and in on each side, that those seem to hold tighter than the older buckles that you pull back and to the sides. The pull forward and in type tend to have a slider that is angled and bites the belt more.

    Sometimes washing the belt helps some if you have a lot of buildup in it. New buckle can help too as mentioned. Or a regular slider if there isn't one, but they can be annoying because they are harder to adjust in the first place vs. a loose end and pulling.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-12-2011
    Location
    The Great Southern Peninsula
    Age
    35
    Posts
    148
    Images
    11

    Default

    I too have this problem but I always thought it was because I just don't have any hips!

    One thing I've noticed is that, at least on my pack, if the shoulder straps are too loose, all the pressure goes to the hip belt and the constant movement from walking makes it start to work loose. Usually, instead of cranking down the hip belt, I will do a moderate tightening on both the hips and the shoulder straps.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    641
    Images
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Question---is the pack new or old?? All worn pack harness systems slip due to two factors---worn plastic buckles and worn webbing. Once it happens there's no fixing it except full replacement of buckles and webbing, a tough job requiring some major sewing with awls etc. Replacing the entire hipbelt from the company might be the best option.
    Not sure where the dividing line is between old and new, but this pack had minor slippage even when it was new. Hmm, maybe if I lost some fat I'd have a little more hip bone for the hip belt to grip. I was wondering if anyone has had luck scuffing up the belt or applying chemicals to reduce slippage. Probably there are no well known such solutions or someone would have mentioned it already.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    Not sure where the dividing line is between old and new, but this pack had minor slippage even when it was new. Hmm, maybe if I lost some fat I'd have a little more hip bone for the hip belt to grip. I was wondering if anyone has had luck scuffing up the belt or applying chemicals to reduce slippage. Probably there are no well known such solutions or someone would have mentioned it already.
    Maybe something a little tacky/gummy? Rubber cement is a thought but I would think it would rub off quickly. Small patch of gorilla glue? Or you could scoff the buckle a little. Not so much that you would degrade the belt or buckle any significant amount.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  9. #9

    Default

    I don't know it is the best approach for your situation, but for a grippy solution I found that home-made seam sealer (GE Si2 in mineral spirits) works well to add traction to items, and the solvent carrier helps it to provide more than a surface layer as it can soak in before evaporating.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    641
    Images
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I don't know it is the best approach for your situation, but for a grippy solution I found that home-made seam sealer (GE Si2 in mineral spirits) works well to add traction to items, and the solvent carrier helps it to provide more than a surface layer as it can soak in before evaporating.
    Thanks. I'll see if I can cook some up.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-14-2020
    Location
    Evanston IL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Maybe some of that cushy shelf liner material?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Maybe something a little tacky/gummy? Rubber cement is a thought but I would think it would rub off quickly. Small patch of gorilla glue? Or you could scoff the buckle a little. Not so much that you would degrade the belt or buckle any significant amount.
    Try Goop Glue. Very tough & flexible when dry.Goop Glue 01172021.jpeg It should provide a good friction surface if you spread it on.

    "To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

  13. #13

    Default

    Sew in velcro. A 2" soft strip horizontally on the body-side strap, and a smaller hook square on the outer strap will still give you some adjustment room. Make sure you DO NOT use the adhesive one as it won't hold, and if you try to sew through it it will gum-up your needle and machine.
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-28-2015
    Location
    Bad Ischl, Austria
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,384

    Default

    Interesting thread.
    Another view on the issue of loosening hip belt is, that while hiking my belly is shrinking a bit and causes the hip belt to feel loose after several hours.
    So even while carrying my brand-new Lightwave pack with perfect buckles I have to tighten the hip belt several times during the day.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    641
    Images
    279

    Default

    I like your optimism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Interesting thread.
    Another view on the issue of loosening hip belt is, that while hiking my belly is shrinking a bit and causes the hip belt to feel loose after several hours.
    So even while carrying my brand-new Lightwave pack with perfect buckles I have to tighten the hip belt several times during the day.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2012
    Location
    Taghkanic, New York, United States
    Posts
    3,144
    Journal Entries
    11

    Default

    On my thru hike I had that issue. I ended up getting 2 plastic strap loops for those (the rounded rectangle with a bar through the center type, sort of like Φ but squared off instead of a circle and got them to hold the ends on either side (by removing the main buckle temporarily to get this in place. This held the pack strap firm, but adjusting it was much more difficult but still possible. On my thru I didn't need to readjust it much and was a big win.

  17. #17
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    I just bought a Kelly redcloud 90 and all straps were rolled up and electric taped . And looking at reviews straps slippage is a problem with this pack so maybe a solution for you?

  18. #18
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,488

    Default

    I bought this pack at a yardsale for $50.

  19. #19
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,497

    Default

    I've always just thought of it as "driving the pack" (I didn't invent the term) - tightening or loosening or adjusting things as you hike is just how packs work.

  20. #20

    Default

    Neat way to think about it, I definitely do this as I am more tolerable to tightening up the hip belt later in the day than in the morning when I still soft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •