WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Buckwheat

Default Buckwheat

I have been experimenting with buckwheat recipes recently. They have a lot of potential for backpacking meals. Buckwheat is not a grain but cooks up much like rice, but with man advantages. One is it cooks quickly. I bring 1 part buckwheat and 2 parts water to a full boil, turn stove off, let set in cozy for 15 to 20 min. Most rice will not cook this fast. Red lentils and basmati rice cook in the same condition and make a great combination. I add olive oil, meat, salt and seasonings (Madras curry is great). I don't know how it would do with FBC. Perhaps someone could try and report. The cooked buckwheat has much the same consistency as cooked rice so should substitute well in recipes. You will need to experiment to get the taste and consistency you like.

Buckwheat is more nutritious than rice (more fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals). It also has more flavor. As for availability, buckwheat is popular in eastern Europe an central Asia so I get it at our local import food store owned by Bosnians. As it is gluten free, you might find it in the GF section of your grocery store. Otherwise there is online shopping. It is not expensive.

Journal Entries

Try Kasha. It's also great.

My favorite little rascal

Buckwheat is an anti inflammatory(good for reducing inflammation), addressing the cause of pain than merely masking the symptoms of it such as what NSAIDs do, GF, rather fast cooking/soaking, nutritious, (decent protein and fiber content, higher protein content than rice), seed. It is not a grain. Quinoa is also a seed. Seeds are some of the most nutritious foods. SOBA buckwheat noodles are another way to eat buckwheat. Wherever Bob's Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills products are sold - Wally world, WholeFoods, Sprouts, etc, you'll find SOBA Buckwheat Noodles and Buckwheat groats.

Our grocery store carries a number of Bob's Red Mill products, but unfortunately not all of them
    Bob's has the best museli, but alas it is one item not in our local store. I've never figured out why they will carry dozens of types of granola, but no museli. Arghhh.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Our grocery store carries a number of Bob's Red Mill products, but unfortunately not all of them
    Bob's has the best museli, but alas it is one item not in our local store. I've never figured out why they will carry dozens of types of granola, but no museli. Arghhh.
    Foodlion carries Bob mill brands the Best muslli i get is from a Mennonite store in my town and the carry all sorts of flours and Bobs mill products. To include wonderful beef sticks.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

++ New Posts ++