WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Summer Bag

Default New Summer Bag

WESTERN MOUNTAINEERING EVERLITE
    Well, I finally bit the big one and upgraded to a down sleeping bag/quilt rated at 45F. It comes in at around 14ozs.

Trip 183 (38)-XL.jpg
    My previous "summer" bag (versus my WM Puma -15F winter bag) is my 22 year old Marmot Couloir down bag and obviously way too hot for the furnace temps of TN/NC summers. And comes in at around 3 lbs 7 ozs. My only excuse all these years is the bag has lost some of its loft and is more "flattened".

P1000036.JPG
    Here is the Everlite in zipped up config as a normal sleeping bag with bottom opening drawstring closed.

P1000037.JPG
    Side view of the bag.

P1000039.JPG
    Quilt configuration with bag unzipped and bottom drawstring opened.

P1000040.JPG
    This is quilt view looking up from the foot end of the bag.

P1000041.JPG
    Emblem of excellence.

P1000042.JPG
    Pic shows bottom zipper with velcro closure.

P1000043.JPG
    With velcro closure open.

P1000044.JPG
    Open foot box of sleeping bag so the released zipper can turn the bag into a quilt.

P1000045.JPG
    Drawstring cinched foot box to turn quilt into zipped up sleeping bag.

Great choice!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Great choice!
    I am using it every night in the backyard and so far it's plenty warm as a quilt.

I've used their Summerlite for... 12-13 years maybe? No regrets at all. I switch to an even lighter synthetic quilt in warmer weather, but love the WM bag. No concerns about the temp rating either - I've comfortably slept in it below freezing.

Can't go wrong with a WM!

And now you have room for more peanut butter!

I have an Enlightened Equipment 30F 950 fill power quilt that weighs in under 18 ounces but even though it can be completely flat as a blanket it is too warm for mid summer use in Virginia. The 50F down version is under 13 ounces. They also have an Apex fill version that could be better in humid summer conditions. I don’t do a lot of mid summer east coast backpacking so I haven’t been able to justify a summer bag like this so far. I prefer to head out to the Sierra Nevada if I get an opportunity to backpack during the mid summer months. There a 30F quilt works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have an Enlightened Equipment 30F 950 fill power quilt that weighs in under 18 ounces but even though it can be completely flat as a blanket it is too warm for mid summer use in Virginia. The 50F down version is under 13 ounces. They also have an Apex fill version that could be better in humid summer conditions. I don’t do a lot of mid summer east coast backpacking so I haven’t been able to justify a summer bag like this so far. I prefer to head out to the Sierra Nevada if I get an opportunity to backpack during the mid summer months. There a 30F quilt works well.
    As mentioned this minimal bag is rated at 45F and just about perfect for our summer TN/NC mountains---either as an open quilt or a zipped up bag. My pillow is a down jacket so if things get cold I can sleep in the jacket with my silk leggings and top---along with my always-carried turtle fur fleece hat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    As mentioned this minimal bag is rated at 45F and just about perfect for our summer TN/NC mountains---either as an open quilt or a zipped up bag. My pillow is a down jacket so if things get cold I can sleep in the jacket with my silk leggings and top---along with my always-carried turtle fur fleece hat.

I got this bag to stay in the AMC huts. But I use it for many different occasions. Summer, day snow shoeing, and as a cover for my Alpinlite when it isn't cold enough to haul my Puma!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I got this bag to stay in the AMC huts. But I use it for many different occasions. Summer, day snow shoeing, and as a cover for my Alpinlite when it isn't cold enough to haul my Puma!
    both bags.jpg Alpinlite covered with Everlite!

both bags.jpg Alpinlite covered with Everlite!
    Yes, the Puma is my go-to winter bag---

Puma as a survival item at -10F.

I primarily use down bags but wonder about using a 45* down bag in summer in the SE. I’m curious why you chose this instead of a synthetic bag, taking into consideration the rain and humidity that we experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I primarily use down bags but wonder about using a 45* down bag in summer in the SE. I’m curious why you chose this instead of a synthetic bag, taking into consideration the rain and humidity that we experience.
    That’s the factor that makes me consider the apex version of the EE Revelation 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    You bring up Southeast rain and humidity but even on long trips my down items perform great. There's a cycle (mostly in winter) with my down gear---

**I leave home with everything at bone dry max loft.
    **First night in camp the tent is full of lofted down gear.
    **Day 5 comes a sleetstorm with 100% humidity---all down items lose a fraction of loft. This may continue for 3 or 4 more days. And this loss of loft is not due to in-tent condensation but to humidity and overall moisture in the air, i.e. 100% humidity.
    **Day 10 comes in windy cold temps with little humidity and all down items reloft to at-home dryness.
    ETC.

I always know how dry my down bag is by how difficult it is to put in the stuff sack.

High quality down is warmer and lighter than synthetic fill (remember Polar Guard?)---much warmer. (Sorry to the geese sacrificing their lives for my comfort). And packs tiny.

One drawback to synthetic bags/quilts---they lose their loft permanently over time---the nature of nylon fibers---and can't be restored.

Journal Entries
    Images

I been debating for about 4 years on a quilt or another WM bag. I looked at the highlight and I was comparing that TO the Feathered friends flicker. I think the Everlite will work for summer.Thanks tippi your photos helped make the decision. Temp range is about right to.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    I been debating for about 4 years on a quilt or another WM bag. I looked at the highlight and I was comparing that TO the Feathered friends flicker. I think the Everlite will work for summer.Thanks tippi your photos helped make the decision. Temp range is about right to.
    If you're anywhere near 5'9" tall you should probably get the Long version of Everlite. I got the Long and it makes all the difference.

Great choice, I have an EE 40 quilt for summer but WM is the cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You bring up Southeast rain and humidity but even on long trips my down items perform great. There's a cycle (mostly in winter) with my down gear---

**I leave home with everything at bone dry max loft.
    **First night in camp the tent is full of lofted down gear.
    **Day 5 comes a sleetstorm with 100% humidity---all down items lose a fraction of loft. This may continue for 3 or 4 more days. And this loss of loft is not due to in-tent condensation but to humidity and overall moisture in the air, i.e. 100% humidity.
    **Day 10 comes in windy cold temps with little humidity and all down items reloft to at-home dryness.
    ETC.

I always know how dry my down bag is by how difficult it is to put in the stuff sack.

High quality down is warmer and lighter than synthetic fill (remember Polar Guard?)---much warmer. (Sorry to the geese sacrificing their lives for my comfort). And packs tiny.

One drawback to synthetic bags/quilts---they lose their loft permanently over time---the nature of nylon fibers---and can't be restored.
    Well hopefully they will use more than just the feathers when they sacrifice that their goose ! Alot more to that goose ........

Surprised you hadn't already bought one a long time ago!
    I liked the Everlite a lot, especially how the box stitched baffles keep the down from shifting.
    Should be great for most folks from late spring to early fall, it just hit a sour spot of too much or too little for me, being such an abnormally hot sleeper. Wonderful bag/quilt, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++