WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Max Patch, NC

Default Max Patch, NC

Hello! I wanted to get some advice for hiking Max Patch in North Carolina. I've been there before and remember fearing for my life as I drove up that gravel road in a tiny sedan, however it's been multiple years. I was planning to return in a few weeks with a rental car (also a Sedan). But I'm very worried about causing damage to the rental car. So here are my two questions:

1) Any thoughts on whether the car will receive damage that will upset a car rental agency?

2) Are there any trail heads near Max Patch that are more car-accessible? I'm ok with backpacking multiple miles/ camping in order to get to Max Patch.

Thanks!

Journal Entries

The only way I've gotten to Max Patch is on the road from Exit 7 off of I-40. I imagine that the other ways of getting there will be similar with respect to road conditions.

What you might not be aware of is that Max Patch has become quite popular, especially on weekends. The road is narrow and it will be lined with cars on both sides for a significant distance in both directions from the parking lot. The damage risk to your car (or to a rental) is probably higher from the number of poorly parked cars than it is from the road conditions themselves.

Also, because of its popularity, MP has been getting trashed on a regular basis. People setting up tents all over the bald, going to the bathroom wherever, and leaving trash. Max Patch is a lovely place, just don't want you to drive all the way down from RI and not know what you're facing. If you can go on a weekday, you'll have a better time. There are other balds like Beauty Spot, or Grassy Ridge that might be more enjoyable.

No damage will be caused. I dont know what the road was like the last time you were there but it is a nice gravel road that I have seen many cars at. I typically take the route in from Hot Springs, NC but have taken the i40 route as well in the past year
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I think its around 30 miles from I40 over Max Patch and down to Hot Springs. Great 3 day hike with a soak in the hot springs at the end - Good spot to eat and taste a craft beer too!
    Enjoy -

I have to disagree with Gambit. I drove up to Max Patch in May and the road was significantly deteriorated since I'd been there last October. I wouldn't take a sedan up it in it's current state.

A much easier trailhead is Garenflo Gap Rd. It's 8+ miles from Max Patch, but a cinch to get to off 209
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Exit 7 off I-40 - gravel road with some potholes that you can manuever around, no big deal. Yup, avoid weekends.

Images

Happened across this by accident, but thought I'd make an updating post. I come Nobo from ATL and have gone both ways, off I-40 and by taking 209 at the Lake Junaluska exit and continuing straight on Max Patch Rd where 209 goes right at Ferguson Supply. (By the way, stop there for a burger and decent beer selection). I now prefer the 209/Max Patch Rd route and its just fine for any car as you will see at the parking lot. You'll need a wash after from road dust, that's about the extent of the damage.

Also, camping was always "not allowed" on Max Patch itself, the bald part, but folks always did it and it wasn't enforced and became a little Woodstock as a result. I camp there every year - in the trees where it is legal to camp. You can also camp on Buckeye Ridge which is beautiful itself, but it seems as part of the 2021 camping ban, they are intent on not mowing as low as they once did and that does make it a little more difficult. Just FYI for anyone who cares.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I slack-packed Davenport Gap to Allen Gap last summer. All of the gravel roads are completely passable for ordinary passenger cars.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its a gravel road. But its pretty well graded for mountain roads. I was up there late winter with snow last year. No issue driving up there. People live up on those area roads.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I have to disagree with Gambit. I drove up to Max Patch in May and the road was significantly deteriorated since I'd been there last October. I wouldn't take a sedan up it in it's current state.

A much easier trailhead is Garenflo Gap Rd. It's 8+ miles from Max Patch, but a cinch to get to off 209
    I’ve driven many forest gravel roads in North Ga, and North Carolina. Sometimes a road is in good shape, and sometimes the same road is terrible. Road conditions can change in a matter of months, especially if there has been some heavy rains.

I have been to max patch three times but never stayed overnight. I always hiked through it. I never saw the appeal that intrigues others. Too many nicer places to visit if you are not afraid of a hike. I agree that Garen Flo Gap Road is the best alternative if eight miles doesn't bother you.

Gravel or any type of unimproved road can be rather fickle, just because a road looked stable a month ago means little. Two weeks ago the gravel road to a lake side cabin we use was solid and supported cars, a few days later came the rains, rutting the road with washouts that even SUVs would have trouble with.

That said, I would imagine the Forest Rangers who monitor the Pisgah National Forest would know the current and anticipated conditions from construction/grading work. The number I have for them is 828 689 9694. I would call them well before you are planning to go, then again a few days before. As an aside, though the road may be passible the parking area(s) are fairly small and parking along the road side may not be allowed in a lot of areas. An alternative parking plan should be considered, which the Rangers may be able to help you with as well.

Have fun!

++ New Posts ++