WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trangia Westwing Stove

On the Trangia Westwing stove, does drilling holes in the aluminum base plates affect the performance of the stove?
    "...one step at a time."

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Nope, It lightens the load. I made a duplicate stand from titanium stock, but have since graduated to a Soda-Can stove.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I agree with RagingHamster. Moose was the first to suggest that here on WhitBlaze. I followed his suggestion and clamped the 3 plates together and then drilled several 1/2" holes in them. Abolutely no loss of stability as far as the stand it concerned and if anything it provides better ventilation which, as you already know if you've had your alcohol stove for a while, is a very good thing.
    I haven't gone to a Titanium stock yet like RagingHamster and I don't have any plans to make the switch. Very happy with the weight and performance of my Trangia with the original aluminum pot stand and homemade windscreen
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We started this stove and used it until we spent a day at Kincora, making homemade stoves. It worked great while we had it, but a word of caution: not paying attention, we accidentally burned up the O-Ring that holds the cover on and lets you store the stove with fuel in it...they are 3 bucks to replace and we had to have it shipped from MSR because no outfitters carry them. Might be something to throw in a bounch box, or carry a spare Or, alternately, just pay attention Good luck!
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default O-Rings for the Trangia

One step ahead of you on having an extra Trangia O-ring in my bounce box.

Here is a contact for getting replacements:

Outdoorsportz - 1-877/776-7887
    I ordered a 2-pack for $3.90 and had them in about 4-5 days. Total price with shipping was $4.75
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

++ New Posts ++