WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Slab walkin'

Rock Lite Inov8 shoes. The sole is the best.

I spend a lot of time here in the whites on steep, slippery, slabs. La Sportiva Bushido's have been good. I do better on slabs or any technical terrain for that matter without trekking poles. Bend the knees, walk straight down it, upright without poles, be cognizant of the amount of foot contact you have with the rock.

As much as I like altra or topo for comfort, and I hiked the AT in Lone Peaks, as well as, many trails around the Whites and Maine high peaks in Lone Peaks, switching to a more technical shoe has been a game changer.

Personally, I think Altra's get way too much credit for being a good Appalachian Trail shoe. They're not bad by any means. But there's definitely a bunch of sections on the AT a more precise shoe will shine. If you're a thru hiker wearing lone peaks since GA, you are super confident in them and the scrambly parts of the AT isn't much of a concern.

I've been doing much more technical stuff since the AT, and a more precise shoe has been not only essential, but made sketchy stuff when wearing Altra's a breeze.

I've hiked slick slabs in worn out and smooth bottom lone peaks, this taught me to prioritize foot placement, balance, and mindfullness.

I agree that Altra is bit over hyped. I will always use them for the giant toe box and zero drop. During my NOBO I cycled through several models...LP for the 1st half, then king MTs for rocks in PA. Kings were advertised as strong rock plate in the sole. They were HORRIBLE, like having 2x4 planks strapped to my feet. Too rigid and no feel for terrain underfoot.

In New York I went to Olympus and fell in love. Pillow cushion and good grip. Brought in a new pair in Monson, finished with them and wore day to day for a year after my hike. Used 7 pairs of Altra, some good some bad. I'm a believer but they sure are getting $$$$$$!

**I don't require ankle support.

Quote Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
    I will always use them for the giant toe box and zero drop.
    I've burned through about 20 pairs of Altra shoes on and off trail. For backpacking well established trails, they do well. But keep an open mind, the giant toe box is great for backpacking comfort on non technical trails but the shoes lack precision and durability needed for climbing stuff. If you decide to hike off trail routes, tackle technical scrambling, traverse over loose scree, talus fields, you might start to experience the negatives of Altra footwear on particular terrain.

With that said, I'd probably grab 5-6 pairs of Altra Olympus if I were to hike the AT again.

Images

Yeah, those slabs in southern NY really sucked. I distinctly remember it took me 4 hours to get from the NJ/NY state line to NY 17A. A light rain was just enough to keep the smooth rocks wet the whole time and they were very slick. My Merrills with Vibram soles did fine on dry rocks but they slipped on the wet slabs. I spent a lot of time going very slowly, a few times I had to take my pack off and slide down on my butt.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++