WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    As I have stated before in this thread, there needs to be a consistent set of standards for a thru to be considered to be an FKT, and re-routes do not provide for that, especially when you consider the various types of difficulties encountered on the trail (snow/ice/streams/altitude). One possible way this could be addressed would be to allow future runners the same re-route options as previous runners, but that would end up with a patchwork trail and most likely take away from the spirit of an FKT.

As to the promotion and monetization of the trail by corporate entities and sponsors, yeah, not a big fan of that to put it mildly.
    Yeah you're right it will never be "fair" so maybe we should just "cancel " FKT attempts

Maybe just cite the FKT for that year and route?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Maybe just cite the FKT for that year and route?
    I kinda like this idea.

7/11 - Timmy completed the work-around for the Lionhead fire and finished the day a ~ mile 2066, 50.4 mpd average so far so very close to FKT pace

This is going to be a tough one
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Ounces are the little-death

Did he hike/run the reroute or get in a car? I can't find any info.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Did he hike/run the reroute or get in a car? I can't find any info.
    he ran/hiked it or it would be a disqual and no sense in finishing it

Latest update:
    7/17 - to Snoqualmie Pass, 2409.4 miles in 47 days (51.26 mpd average)

5 days 8 hours "left" to beat the record with approx 256 miles left. (needs to beat 48.03 mpd)

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Where did you see them talk about what they did for the reroute?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Where did you see them talk about what they did for the reroute?
    7/11 - Timmy completed the work-around for the Lionhead fire and finished the day a ~ mile 2066, 50.4 mpd average so far so very close to FKT pace

from the FKT website

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    he ran/hiked it or it would be a disqual and no sense in finishing it

Latest update:
    7/17 - to Snoqualmie Pass, 2409.4 miles in 47 days (51.26 mpd average)

5 days 8 hours "left" to beat the record with approx 256 miles left. (needs to beat 48.03 mpd)

What a beast !!

I had read that but I mistook the previous posts as referencing something giving details on what he actually did.

Agreed! AND it was not a walk around. He did an out and back. I was not aware that out and backs were valid.

I wonder how long it takes to recover from running 50 double marathons a day for 50 days , through the desert and mountains???

I was talking about recovery time.
    Not what again johnnycat thinks . We all know your opinion on this is and you know what they say about opinions.

People fretting over a creek crossing difference or a couple miles here or there, need to consider how different going the length of that trail is from one year to the next. The amount of snow in the Sierras in 2019 versus what was there this year or last year is a huge difference. Other factors also play into it. The last few years, fire closures have been the rule and not the exception.

he must be getting close to finishing. Tomorrow will be 52 days.

I agree with all of this. Especially as no real time updates are given. And let's say the rest of the thru hikers stay the course, but he chooses to take a re route? If the road is open, the road is open.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverton View Post
    I agree with all of this. Especially as no real time updates are given. And let's say the rest of the thru hikers stay the course, but he chooses to take a re route? If the road is open, the road is open.
    If the "current" route is open, reroutes are not allowed. So your point is moot. He would be DQ'ed for not following the "route."

Today is his day 52 so I expect to hear something probably within the next 24 hours. If he breaks the record it will need to be verified and that could take a bit but I believe we should hear he either beat it, finished but not in time, or DNF within the next 24 hours max.

FYI, I just checked Instagram and he had 60 miles left this morning when he headed out.

I must admit I am a bit confused as to how the days are being counted or perhaps it's just a question of what time on 6/1 he started his attempt. If he started in the morning of 6/1 then same time on 6/2 would be 1 day. on 6/30 at that time in morning would be 29 days. This morning (at start time on 6/1) would be 51 days completed, today being the 52nd day which would take him to "start time" tomorrow on the 23rd. Then he gets 8 more hours. SO today when he started he likely had 32 hours in which to complete 60 miles? Does this sound right to everyone?

If the above is accurate, do you think he will push through for 60 without sleep or do his 50 and sleep and rip off an "easy 10" in the morning. Pushing through could take 8 or more hours off the total time.

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    FYI, I just checked Instagram and he had 60 miles left this morning when he headed out.

I must admit I am a bit confused as to how the days are being counted or perhaps it's just a question of what time on 6/1 he started his attempt. If he started in the morning of 6/1 then same time on 6/2 would be 1 day. on 6/30 at that time in morning would be 29 days. This morning (at start time on 6/1) would be 51 days completed, today being the 52nd day which would take him to "start time" tomorrow on the 23rd. Then he gets 8 more hours. SO today when he started he likely had 32 hours in which to complete 60 miles? Does this sound right to everyone?

If the above is accurate, do you think he will push through for 60 without sleep or do his 50 and sleep and rip off an "easy 10" in the morning. Pushing through could take 8 or more hours off the total time.
    I think this is correct, it comes down to what time of day he started because every single hour matters.
    And I think he pushes on and completes it .no rest for the weary.

As of 3:52 pm 7/22 Timmy had 30 miles to go and must finish by 2:40 pm 7/23 . He might take a nap and finish in the morning.
    I really don't know how a human survives this kind of extreme endurance!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++