WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cumberland Trail -- New North Chick Section

Hey, i'm looking for some general beta on the new North Chickamauga section of the Cumberland Trail --between the Barker Camp Rd trailhead and Hall Road. Anyone hiked it yet? it looks like a fun route. any campsites down in that gorge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    Hey, i'm looking for some general beta on the new North Chickamauga section of the Cumberland Trail --between the Barker Camp Rd trailhead and Hall Road. Anyone hiked it yet? it looks like a fun route. any campsites down in that gorge?
    What is "general beta" ?

In any case, I'm unable to find much informatoin about that section. It doesn't appear to have merited a page, map, or the kind of point-by-point trail description on the cumberlandtrail.org website that the other sections get. There is, however, an announcement about it here:

https://www.cumberlandtrail.org/august-2020-newletter/

Also, I did find it on the interactive map that can be found from the Friends of the Cumberland Trail website, but that's not enough for me to go on ... at least, not alone, and it looks like a shuttle hike anyway.

Beta = Information about the route.

OK, just an update - I went to look for the Hall Road trailhead and failed to find it. I went up and down that road 3x. But taking a closer look at the ArcGIS map and Google Maps, I now suspect it's not off Hall Road, but an offshoot called Old Anderson Road - a side road I didn't even notice going up and down Hall. But then again I was focused on finding a trailhead on Hall. I did check out a couple other roads in the area, but I never saw Old Anderson. Hmmm. Maybe try again tomorrow. :/ But I have to say, from what I saw, I didn't get warm fuzzies about being safe in the area. Between signs that threaten trespassers with being killed and unleashed attack dogs that leapt at my car, I'm not sure it's worth getting out on foot in that area.

Another thought - perhaps Old Anderson Road was unmarked. If so, I likely assumed it was someone's driveway. The other two roads I explored in the area were marked (Barker Cir, Johnson Rd). So I suspect if I saw a green street sign for Old Anderson, I probably would have looked down there. Maybe will take another look tomorrow; not sure.

++ New Posts ++