WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tall mans UL tent search.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here so if I missed a thread please refer me there.
    I’m 6’5” 210 lbs.
    Here is my quest; I’ll just list below
    1. Tent of 90 plus inches long inside with fairly straight walls at ends (or longer)
    2. 40 plus inches tall inside
    3. at least 36 plus inches wide (in center to be able to turn around inside.
    4 Trekking pole setup most likely (one tent pole possibly ok)
    5. Total setup from outside of tent
    6. DCF preferred but other material may be ok.
    7. Set up with rain cover in place.
    8 Quick and easy setup.
    9. Easy to enter and exit.

Tents I’ve tried and reason liked and disliked.
    1 Lightheart Gear So-Long 6. (Has 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9). 100 inches long with straight walls is a big plus. Dislike because you have to get inside of tent to set up trekking poles. If this could set up from outside it would probably be my winner. Hard to do.
    2 Z-Packs Duplex (Has 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) Lightweight and easy setup are the likes. Ok but not quite big enough. Biggest complaint is the floating floor that slides out from under tarp and or pushes out when feet or sleeping bag push it out and water comes in.
    3. Durston X-Mid 2 ( Has 1, 2, 3, 4, 7). Huge footprint. Wonky set up. Hard to reach fly zippers.
    4. Big Sky International Revolution 2 (Had 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9). Could be a tad taller and longer. Tent poles and more tent poles.

Kind of picky I know but like many folks there is always a quest for the perfect gear. Suggest a tent for me to check out.
    And get it under 3 lbs. Under 2 for bonus points Thanks in advance.
    Oh, blackwater, keep on rollin', Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shining on me!

I'm sorry you missed the Zpacks Altaplex. It is 'engineered' for big and tall, at under a pound-CDF. I would seriously give this a hard look.

Sorry again, I meant DCF.

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    I'm sorry you missed the Zpacks Altaplex. It is 'engineered' for big and tall, at under a pound-CDF. I would seriously give this a hard look.
    I'm only 6'1" but I opted for the Altaplex and will using it on trail for the first time in two weeks. When I set it up at the local park, it seemed like it would be better for tall hikers than my old zPacks Hexamid Twin or the zPacks Duplex that I tried but sold. However, until I test it out in real world conditions to sleep in, I won't know. I'm skeptical that it would be ideal for 6'5" but then few production tents would be.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not 6'+, but I've loved my Copper Spur UL2 as a great one-man tent. I do use a size Large NeoAir xLite (close to your height) and what I do (even though I don't have to) is sleep diagonally so that I've got large sections of storage on both sides of me.

Hey BWS! Good luck with your search for the perfect tent, but as an senior adult, I find a hammock much easier to climb in and out of. Just something you might want to consider. Happy Trails!

Being 6'4" and 210 lbs +/-, I get it. I'm also a gear junky and like hunting down the best gear possible, which my gear room, garage, and my wife will attest to. That being said, one of the many reasons I almost always prefer to use a tarp instead of one of my tents is that it can tick off every single one of your listed priorities with both room and weight to spare.

You can experiment with $10 poly tarps to see if they might be for you and dial in your game before spending more money on a high end DCF version.

Tarps are faster to set up than most any tent (depending on the pitch you're using).
    Tarps give much more living space than any similar weight tent.
    The list goes on. Tarps aren't for everyone, BUT, they are also highly, highly, underestimated by people that haven't used them enough to appreciate and respect their value and effectiveness.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

The Altaplex seems as it would be the one…but….I saw a couple of reviews that said it was not long enough for 6’5”. My other concern was, again, the floating bathtub floor. I may end up trying it because I do like everything else about it, I think. $$$ keeps me from just jumping on it immediately.
    thanks
    Oh, blackwater, keep on rollin', Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shining on me!

Thought about a tarp but I’m in the southeast which equals bugs bugs bugs and a few other critters.
    thanks.

Checking reviews of the aeon li now. Thanks

Does anyone remember what tent Skywalker used?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater slim View Post
    Checking reviews of the aeon li now. Thanks
    look at their Protrail too

Hey, Tuxhiker. Just not ready to dive into the hammock world yet.

I will check it out. Thanks

Any thoughts on six moon designs tents for tall folks? Specifically the lunar solo backpacker I think it’s called

Or skyscape trekker?

Images

I’m 6’4” and 220lbs. I use a BA Copper Spur and love it. It’s not DCF but it’s a very good tent with enough room for me and my stuff.

I’m 6’1” and have a Duplex. I’ve had zero issues with the floating floor - it’s never moved around, never let water leak in, etc. The tent is long/tall, but the head and feet ends aren’t that vertical, so YES, puffy sleeping bags touching the foot end walls are a concern. The tent has guyouts at the head and foot end but they are only partially effective. They’re very effective if tied to something higher than the ground - like a tree branch. I’ve also had good luck using a y-shaped stick to help pull the guyouts UP and not just OUT.

From my limited research, the Altaplex is a better tent for tall hikers.

I just got a Tarptent Notch LI after discussing this particular issue with Henry Shires. His suggestion for tall people “Choose the Notch Li or ProTrail Li as you can’t touch a fly wall in either one.” I haven’t slept in the Notch yet though. It does have rods that provide a vertical head/foot box.

Also recommend a hammock, but that’s a a $1000 investment by the time you get top/bottom quilts and a good DCF tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    I’m 6’4” and 220lbs. I use a BA Copper Spur and love it. It’s not DCF but it’s a very good tent with enough room for me and my stuff.
    I'll second the above, including body size. My Copper Spur is noticeably longer inside (maybe 3 inches?) than my REI Quarterdome with exactly the same advertised floor dimensions. So, while on this hunt, I strongly encourage laying down inside any tents that might be close as some tents pitch relatively higher or lower making those bathtub floors noticeably bigger or smaller regardless of what the manufacturers' claimed sizes are.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++