WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for female gear advice...

My wife’s agreed to do the first section on my nobo ct hike with September 3 start. She is athletic fit in good shape. She’s not a experienced hiker and obviously I’m not female so don’t have clue about certain gear recs as far as underwear, puffy etc.

Assume she will wear yoga pants to hike as well as sport top with R1 as mid layer. She needs a puffy jacket and bra/underwear recs. Assume will buy a cheap frog togg set for rain shell and pants. I love my Montbell exlight puffy but I’d prefer something lil tougher and possibly synthetic not down as she gets cold easily so likely hike some in it. She plans to use my sons NF Tigger 20* syn mummy bag on xtherm, share my MLD duomid. Any female specific recs? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Not a female but I purchased the Icebreaker sports bras and panties for my wife and she loves them for backpacking trips. They have different styles based on what she prefers. For a puffy, she uses a Mountain Hardware synthetic that is no longer produced, but it also isn't super warm as she only does summer trips. Have you thought about an EE Torrid? Pretty much the lightest synthetic option and you can customize it to make it more durable.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Also not a female here, but if she doesn't like hiker funk, merino shirts & underwear really cut down on the synthetic stink. You still smell like an unwashed human, but not like a biological experiment gone wrong.

Images

Ex-Officio.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Wool underwear, give it a try even in heat. The breathability is key.With a wool sports bra, it's taken multiple washings to soften and remove the itch factor, so stick with a favorite. Hiking skirts are great for on trail modesty (potty breaks), but you have to have a plan for the ticks. I try to plan clothing layers so they work well together, specifically so they don't stick if frequently donning and doffing. For example, wool tee with a shiny poly layer. Always pack a buff, hat, and layer for hands (waterproof mittens.) Xtherm is a good choice. I am sure that you will be happy to carry whatever additional comforts she might request, and that your careful planning and consideration will make for an excellent trip!

I second the use of the Icebreaker sports bra, mine is comfortable lightweight and doesn't smell after sweating. You didn't mention if she has a pack, I can say that my Aura 50 Osprey pack has been great for me. I got sized at the store and it is a perfect fit.

I hope ya'll enjoy your trip!

Thx guys and gals...yes she has a go lite jam but she wanted a new pack as hers has seen better days....ordered a HMG junction, I have 3400 for longer trips and love it....served well on HST and WRHR last fall....

Junction 2400

Journal Entries

I like the ex-officio underwear. The ones I wear have a waffle texture that helps to keep damp sweaty fabric from sticking to skin.

I don't have a bra recommendation, except to let her choose.
    Some things to consider:
    Larger breasts need better support and separation.
    Prominent nipples need more concealment.
    Needs to be easy to get off and on even when damp with sweat - maybe a standard hook and eye closure.
    Nothing dries out overnight - consider bringing two (lightweight if possible), or maybe one for daytime, a different soft comfy one for sleeping.

If temperatures are on the chilly side, I bring additional layers inside the sleeping bag or quilt. Could be my puffy or a fleece vest or jacket if I have them. Or my husband's jacket (bonus, I don't have to carry it!).

Unless it's really cold, I hike in shorts with a long or short sleeved shirt. For sleeping, I wear a long sleeved shirt and yoga pants even if it's kinda warm because I hate the feel of sticky skin-to-skin or skin-to-pad. If it's really hot, I stay home.

Don't forget about an FUD, female urinary device. My choice is the P-style. https://www.thepstyle.com/

Hope she enjoys the trip!

Thx! I’ll pass along the info...appreciate it...i used to be a fan of the Exoficio boxer briefs but the waffle pattern actually causes me to have chafing.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    nobo ct....Assume she will wear yoga pants to hike as well as sport top with R1 as mid layer.
    20F bag, R1 midlayer in early September...and a synthetic puffy for hiking in?
    How about a hooded sun shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    20F bag, R1 midlayer in early September...and a synthetic puffy for hiking in?
    How about a hooded sun shirt?
    Actually just ordered her an EE torrid jacket vs down so can wear hiking. She gets cold easily as has raynauds, last time did Durango to lake city in sept was the mild but got into 20’s at night. I don’t mind being the Sherpa if it makes her comfortable....after the 7 day carry last year on the WRHR in late September, 5 day carry on CT is a walk in the park with the 3400.

++ New Posts ++