WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking advice on identifying a segment to hike

67 year old guy (me) flying out next spring to hike for a week on the trail. Just something I’ve always wanted to do.
    I’m not unfamiliar with backpacking. but it’s been a few decades. Flying in from Las Vegas. I need to identify a section to hike. Must get to the trailhead by Uber or ?, from a decent sized airport. And I have to get back to said airport after 6 days on the trail.
    Looking for a moderate section. Probably total distance of 60 miles total.
    Then get an Uber or whatever back to the same airport.I have been to Damascus Va, and have read about Harpers Ferry West Va. I like those areas, but I am wide open. My young and sturdy son is coming along to be with me 🙂.
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance!

We did the GA section last fall. It is about 70 miles, but you could easily get off sooner.

Plenty of shuttle options to and from the Atlanta airport.

I've not done other sections, but we loved that portion. 52 and 62 y.o.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Images

If you fly to Newark, you can take the NY Subway to stations that are fairly close to the trail. And Uber is available in the area as well as a few shuttles.

Don't forget, after flying, you'll have to purchase fuel for cooking since you can't take it on the plane.

Thanks! Much appreciated

Thank you very much

So you started at Springer Mountain? Is there a camping spot at the trailhead? On the AT, are you required to camp by the shelters? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    So you started at Springer Mountain? Is there a camping spot at the trailhead? On the AT, are you required to camp by the shelters? Thanks
    Yes you can camp very near the southern terminus at Springer. There is a shelter close by as well.
    No you are not required to stay in shelters except for certain areas like the Smokys or White Mountains[in NH]

Quote Originally Posted by Seesfar View Post
    We actually started at Amicalola falls and did the approach trail as well. There is a shelter and camping there.

If you start at Springer mountain, it is a 1 mile backtrack to get to the actual start of the AT atop Springer from the parking lot and there is a shelter and much camping nearby.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

For something like this I like Shenandoah National Park. I'm 63 and did the northern half twice during the past year, once with my grown daughter and once with my grown son. Northern half is around 60 miles. For those trips and on a prior trip of the whole park we flew into Charlottesville, shuttle to trail, then walked to Front Royal. Then shuttle to Dulles for the flight home. Logistics are pretty easy, let me know if you want more details.

Sea woods,
    Thanks! That sounds just right.
    Thanks!
    Seesfar

Thanks so very much

Quote Originally Posted by Seawoods View Post
    For something like this I like Shenandoah National Park. I'm 63 and did the northern half twice during the past year, once with my grown daughter and once with my grown son. Northern half is around 60 miles. For those trips and on a prior trip of the whole park we flew into Charlottesville, shuttle to trail, then walked to Front Royal. Then shuttle to Dulles for the flight home. Logistics are pretty easy, let me know if you want more details.
    if you don’t mind my asking, to do what you describe, where do you enter the trail after arriving to start hiking?

Swift run gap. US 33. For shuttles I’ve used stanimals. Also Sharon and Nina around front royal and Alison with open arms in luray. All were reliable. I’ve stopped at Compton gap the last two trips and that worked well.

Big Meadows to Front Royal seems like a good hike if using a shuttle is an option. Uber/Lyft from Dulles Airport to and from Front Royal is an option and there is also a bus but only one trip per day, and if you have two people in your group, it may not be that much of a savings over Uber/Lyft.

It’s likely that the app would actually let you specify Big Meadows as a destination from Dulles but I’m not sure you’d find a driver willing to do that given that they’d not be likely to have a fare coming back. So a shuttle to Big Meadows from Dulles would probably work better. Front Royal back to Dulles would definitely work on Uber/Lyft.

I think you have another thread - I posted some info there on potentially walking into Front Royal by taking the Dickey Ridge trail from where it leaves the AT at Compton Gap .

If you are in Front Royal be sure to go to Spelunkers.
    https://us.megabus.com/route-guides/...irport-iad-bus

Slightly more information regarding logistics. We flew to Charlottesville. Depending on the time of day we either got stanimals to shuttle us directly to the trail from the airport or stayed in a hotel in Charlottesville and then shuttle to the trail in the morning. We started at swift run gap. i planned to walk about 8-9 for the first 3 days (done around 3) and then slightly lengthened the distance for the second half after thornton gap. We stopped at Compton Gap, then shuttle from compton gap to front royal and a hotel. (I have also continued to 522, but once you leave the park shortly after Compton Gap I didn't think there was much to see YMMV). Next morning or whenever depending on flight time, shuttle to Dulles airport. Of course, there many possible variations. Go to guthook or online for informtion and make contact with stanimals in waynesboro, alison with open arems in luray and with nina/sharon in front royal for shuttle arrangements. A few other points, We have stayed with open arms hostel half way through. nice to get cleaned up and wash your clothes. Also, there is a coin operated shower and camp store at Lewis Mountain cabins. And a laundry facility at the big meadows campgrouns, not sure about any covid restrictions. The facilities along the train, Lewis Mountain, Big meadows, and Skyland are welcome imo. Lodging too if you want and they have availability. The shelters along the trail in SNP are extra nice imo, and they all have a metal pole to hang your food, smellables and they have a composting privy which beats the alternative imo. One more point, we have seen a few bears, they did not care about us at all. Overall, SNP is an excellent place for a hike, it was beautiful when we were there in early May. You may hear from thruhikers, as I have, that SNP is not too great as far as the AT goes, too easy, no dramatic views, etc. You have to remember that they have walked 900 miles before they got there. It's plenty hard for the occasional backpacker and I think there are excellent, expansive views over the valley, much better than other places on the AT that i have been, Georgia as an example, again, YMMV.

Hi, Seesfar i have a question before you do more planning. How isolated do you want to be? SNP is a great hike but when i did it i was disappointed that i could hear or sometimes see the road. If i was doing a one time only AT hike i prefer it isolated and would look to New Hampshire or Maine. So many beautiful trips, good luck with you hike.

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Hi, Seesfar i have a question before you do more planning. How isolated do you want to be? SNP is a great hike but when i did it i was disappointed that i could hear or sometimes see the road. If i was doing a one time only AT hike i prefer it isolated and would look to New Hampshire or Maine. So many beautiful trips, good luck with you hike.
    Hi Simon

Good question. I guess I would like the isolation. A road now and again would be ok. I’d probably avoid parts I read about that go through farmland and the like however.
    Part of the reason for the whole adventure is a motivational tool to lose some weight in preparation. For a medical reason I had to go on prednisone for 6 months and during that time I have gained 20 lbs. so my reasons for this trip are multilayered. Plus I have been intrigued with the AT for many years.
    My health is not great, I won’t bore anyone with the details but I have no restrictions on me from my cardiologist.
    I need a goal. Something to work towards and to achieve.
    Its complicated. But good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawoods View Post
    Slightly more information regarding logistics. We flew to Charlottesville. Depending on the time of day we either got stanimals to shuttle us directly to the trail from the airport or stayed in a hotel in Charlottesville and then shuttle to the trail in the morning. We started at swift run gap. i planned to walk about 8-9 for the first 3 days (done around 3) and then slightly lengthened the distance for the second half after thornton gap. We stopped at Compton Gap, then shuttle from compton gap to front royal and a hotel. (I have also continued to 522, but once you leave the park shortly after Compton Gap I didn't think there was much to see YMMV). Next morning or whenever depending on flight time, shuttle to Dulles airport. Of course, there many possible variations. Go to guthook or online for informtion and make contact with stanimals in waynesboro, alison with open arems in luray and with nina/sharon in front royal for shuttle arrangements. A few other points, We have stayed with open arms hostel half way through. nice to get cleaned up and wash your clothes. Also, there is a coin operated shower and camp store at Lewis Mountain cabins. And a laundry facility at the big meadows campgrouns, not sure about any covid restrictions. The facilities along the train, Lewis Mountain, Big meadows, and Skyland are welcome imo. Lodging too if you want and they have availability. The shelters along the trail in SNP are extra nice imo, and they all have a metal pole to hang your food, smellables and they have a composting privy which beats the alternative imo. One more point, we have seen a few bears, they did not care about us at all. Overall, SNP is an excellent place for a hike, it was beautiful when we were there in early May. You may hear from thruhikers, as I have, that SNP is not too great as far as the AT goes, too easy, no dramatic views, etc. You have to remember that they have walked 900 miles before they got there. It's plenty hard for the occasional backpacker and I think there are excellent, expansive views over the valley, much better than other places on the AT that i have been, Georgia as an example, again, YMMV.
    Great and valuable info! Thanks

++ New Posts ++