WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is My Down Damaged?

Discovered the other day that several weeks ago my partner had stuffed away my WM Antelope in it's stuff sack and stored it on a shelf in the garage. I was practically sick to discover this. It has been compressed for at least 8-10 weeks. I have it tumbling in the dryer now (no heat) with 3 tennis balls...but I have to ask: after being compressed for so long, is the down damaged? Or do I just have to wait to find out if I freeze my butt off on my next cold night out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I honestly think you'll be okay. A good fluffing and the vast majority of it will come back. Also a good opportunity for a wash while you're doing all this if you're haven't done so recently.

I had the same thing happen to me[only longer period of time]. But it came back just fine. Mine is a WM also. They are a very good quality bag.

Garlic
    Images

I think down can be mechanically damaged by compression, but once it's compressed it doesn't matter how long it stays that way. As long as it's clean and dry, that is.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks all for your comments. The bag had only been slept in once (trying it once on my deck, so no funky hiker odor, no campfire smoke, etc etc), so I didn't think to wash it. I do know that it was dry when stored. After tumbling, I shook it out and laid it out on my bed...lofting looks okay, but maybe a little short right near my shoulder area. That may be paranoia more than anything. I read once upon a time that down is actually stored *fairly* compressed at the manufacturer's -- which makes sense, else they'd need a lot of storage space! I'm going to keep shaking it out today and then put it away in its proper cotton sack.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

It shouldn't need washing after one use. We had a discussion on here a year or two ago and most hikers seem to rarely wash a down bag. Some commented that they "never" do. I will admit to washing mine a couple times in the last 5-6 years since I bought it. It came out fine and is still in great shape.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A good down bag is remarkably tough. I have a Gerry bag (unless you're old, you've likely never heard of Gerry) that was purchased in 1969, has been mercilessly stuffed into tight spaces hundreds of times, and is still very serviceable. It's just too heavy to haul around anymore, now that we have lighter materials. A couple of months of packed storage won't kill a good bag.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    A good down bag is remarkably tough. I have a Gerry bag (unless you're old, you've likely never heard of Gerry) that was purchased in 1969, has been mercilessly stuffed into tight spaces hundreds of times, and is still very serviceable. It's just too heavy to haul around anymore, now that we have lighter materials. A couple of months of packed storage won't kill a good bag.
    I do know the brand my question is whats it weigh as opposed to bags now..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    I do know the brand my question is whats it weigh as opposed to bags now..
    5+ pounds for a semi-rectangular 20* (but I used it in much colder weather) bag.

I’d measure the loft height after it sits for a while and if it matches the manufacturer’s stated loft in the specs for the bag, it’s probably fine. Both of my down bags come back pretty quickly after being compressed but the most I’ve ever left them compressed is probably three or four days while traveling to and from a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Discovered the other day that several weeks ago my partner had stuffed away my WM Antelope in it's stuff sack and stored it on a shelf in the garage. I was practically sick to discover this. It has been compressed for at least 8-10 weeks. I have it tumbling in the dryer now (no heat) with 3 tennis balls...but I have to ask: after being compressed for so long, is the down damaged? Or do I just have to wait to find out if I freeze my butt off on my next cold night out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Unless it was stored damp, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I had a Gerry down bag that I got in 1971. I washed it, using a large front-loader washer that the laundromat had, maybe 4 times over the years, using Ivory Flakes, and let it tumble dry, also in a large front-loader dryer, on very low heat for 2-3 hours. I would take it home and spread it out on the bed to finish drying, then our cat would jump up and take a nap on it. I always stored it loose, in a trash bag.

You might try washing your bag with one of the down-specific products that is designed to restore the loft, if necessary.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Normally the Antelope is a 5F rated bag---if it's now "flat" and won't loft you can use it as a summer/three season bag---Voila, now get a winter bag.

Ha! Well thankfully that won't be needed -- the loft seems to look okay. I guess [hope] I'll find out in February!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

++ New Posts ++