WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New Restrictions on Max Patch

National Forests in North CarolinaAppalachian Ranger District Media contact: Cathy DowdPublic information (828) 689-9694 [email protected]@u....fs. usda.gov/nfsncNew restrictions in effect at Max PatchChanges will protect forest resources and public health and safetyMars Hill, NC, July 1, 2021—The Pisgah National Forest is implementing new restrictions atMax Patch designed to reduce impacts to natural resources and protect public health and safety.Effective immediately in the area around Max Patch as delineated on the map below, thefollowing rules apply:1. No camping.2. No fires.3. Area closes 1 hour after sundown. Reopens 1 hour before sunrise. Visitors prohibitedduring closed hours.4. Group size limited to 10.5. Dogs and other animals must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet, or in a crate or cage.6. Stay on designated trails.7. Aircraft may not land nor drop off or pick up anything in this area. Drones are prohibitedon Appalachian Trail.8. No fireworks.9. Bikes must stay on roads only.10. Horses and other saddle and pack animals may not be ridden, hitched, tethered, orhobbled in this area.“We’ve been working with partners to achieve sustainable recreation at Max Patch because ofthe impacts due to a significant increase in visitors over the past decade,” said AppalachianDistrict Ranger Jen Barnhart. “Unfortunately, the level of use is causing a public safety hazardas well as serious damage to wildlife habitat.”The restrictions will be in effect for two years, during which time visitor use and impacts willcontinue to be monitored and addressed. Past efforts of visitor education and engineeringcontrols such as barriers and fencing have not been sufficient to address the challenges. A visitoruse monitoring group consisting of local partners, the USFS, and local community members hashelped to develop solutions and will also help to educate visitors on the new restrictions.For more information, see the full text of the closure order athttps://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd927643.pdf and PDF of mapshowing area in which restrictions apply athttps://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd927758.pdf.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtn Hiker View Post
    National Forests in North Carolina Appalachian Ranger District Media contact: Cathy Dowd Public information (828) 689-9694 [email protected]@u....fs. usda.gov/nfsncNew restrictions in effect at Max PatchChanges will protect forest resources and public health and safety Mars Hill, NC, July 1, 2021—The Pisgah National Forest is implementing new restrictions at Max Patch designed to reduce impacts to natural resources and protect public health and safety. Effective immediately in the area around Max Patch as delineated on the map below, the following rules apply:
    1. No camping.
    2. No fires.
    3. Area closes 1 hour after sundown. Reopens 1 hour before sunrise. Visitors prohibited during closed hours.
    4. Group size limited to 10.
    5. Dogs and other animals must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet, or in a crate or cage.
    6. Stay on designated trails.
    7. Aircraft may not land nor drop off or pick up anything in this area. Drones are prohibited on Appalachian Trail.
    8. No fireworks.
    9. Bikes must stay on roads only.
    10. Horses and other saddle and pack animals may not be ridden, hitched, tethered, or hobbled in this area.
    “We’ve been working with partners to achieve sustainable recreation at Max Patch because of the impacts due to a significant increase in visitors over the past decade,” said Appalachian District Ranger Jen Barnhart. “Unfortunately, the level of use is causing a public safety hazard as well as serious damage to wildlife habitat. ”The restrictions will be in effect for two years, during which time visitor use and impacts will continue to be monitored and addressed. Past efforts of visitor education and engineering controls such as barriers and fencing have not been sufficient to address the challenges. A visitor use monitoring group consisting of local partners, the USFS, and local community members has helped to develop solutions and will also help to educate visitors on the new restrictions. For more information, see the full text of the closure order at https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd927643.pdf and PDF of map showing area in which restrictions apply at https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd927758.pdf.
    There, that is a little more readable.

Good! Way overdue
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    There, that is a little more readable.
    Thank you for taking the time to clean that up. Yes, much more readable!

I assume they will have some education/enforcement in place soon. Max Patch is desperately in need of some regulation. I look forward to when it can recover from the overuse.

I never thought I'd be happy about more outdoor regulation, but I gotta say, yeah, this is overdue. Those pictures of a trashed Max Patch were vomitus.

Happy to see the regulations as someone who will be going through Max Patch on my next AT section hike. Hope they enforce it.

Journal Entries
    Images

This was a long time coming and glade to see it happen...It needed it...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Seems much needed after the pics I saw recently. Only thing I can think not good from it is that it technically makes night hiking through that section prohibited, unless they specify thru hikers can pass through between the closed hours. I'm sure they wont be busting anyone's stones over that though.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

It looks like you also can't camp in the woods to the northeast of MP; at least not on the high ridge, but maybe half a mile from the summit.

Images

Buckeye Ridge, here I come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Good. After seeing those pictures....

How disgusting people can be!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

++ New Posts ++