WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    As for me, my latest "tryouts" are a Cloud71 hammock and a hex tarp with mesh doors & "curtains".
    Any pics of this tarp setup? Do the curtains hang below the sides and with the doors you have a bug-free zone under the tarp? I swear that every biting gnat in the Smokies was hanging out under my tarp avoiding the downpour on a recent trip. When I got up to stretch my legs at 2 am it was like an instant feeding frenzy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smkymtns View Post
    Any pics of this tarp setup? Do the curtains hang below the sides and with the doors you have a bug-free zone under the tarp? I swear that every biting gnat in the Smokies was hanging out under my tarp avoiding the downpour on a recent trip. When I got up to stretch my legs at 2 am it was like an instant feeding frenzy.
    Had the doors sewn on, haven’t done anything permanent with the curtain, just clipped with small binder clips. For me, it’s not for bugs which I’ve never had issue with, just some veiled privacy and minor wind mitigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    It's an oldie. I get a kick out of the "kids" I work with that are under 40 - they often don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I use old phrases, or quotes from old TV shows or cartoons that they've never heard of.
    I'm in my mid-50s and I've never heard of it. It might be a 'North of Roanoke' thing instead of an age thing

A bit late to the comment - but what works for me (6'1", 240lbs) -
    - hammock - Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I got it in multicam (because I like to hammock all the time, and multicam just works), got the dual-layer (because I'm big and fat - I didn't want to rip through a single layer), and had it custom-reversed for left-handed. Oh and I got the removable top as well. I can have the screen on, or I can have the cover on. With the cover, I can sleep much colder - it works like a teeny tent and retains heat pretty well, to the point that I usually leave a crack in the zipper by my head. ~200
    - tarp - I went with the Superfly (same site - warbonnet) with doors. This runs about ~$200 as well, but it's worth it (to me). I've slept in torrential downpours and never had an issue of getting wet, or the hammock getting wet. You can prop a side open with trek poles. It is a bit heavy (being silnylon). Given an unlimited budget I would strongly consider a Hammock Gear 12' dyneema tarp with doors for around $400. The dyneema will drop a ton of weight from your package (a downside to any hammock setup is the weight).
    - bedding - Hammock Gear underquilt and topquilt (burrow and incubator). I went with long for both and 20 degree standard fill (your mileage may vary). I sleep 'cold' so don't mind a bit more weight to be comfortable. When not hiking, we (wife and I) fight over the burrow because it's that good (we had to name it TimeShare). The underquilt works really well once you get it dialed in on the warbonnet (stretchy strings and clips attach it in seconds) and the topquilt (sewn footbox) pulls up plenty enough to keep me warm (can pull it almost up over my head if desired). IMO you can't beat Hammock Gear quilts
    - pillow - hammock pillowing is a bit different for me. in a bed / ground tent I like a nice big pillow, but in the hammock I use one of those tiny inflatable ones, and only inflate it partway to stick under my neck (basically it fills the 'gap' and relieves the strain). I have back and neck problems (old service injuries) and was a big reason I moved to a hammock. I imagine a rolled up puffy jacket would work the same

also don't forget
    - stakes (for the tarp). I use the MSR aluminum ones, only need 6 I think (4 for the tarp, 2 for the hammock cover) and they're light. yup you could use twigs, or spend a gazillion on something else - but those work amazing for me. so well, that I made a tiny silnylon bag out of scrap to hold them. can't imagine not having them
    - tie-down ropes etc. i use zing-it (dutchwaregear - excellent source for all the bits) and some small bungee. basically zingit tied to the tarp corner, then tied to (fully stretched)bungee piece about 2" long, and total length about 4ft. This lets the bungee piece keep the tarp tight without having to re-stake all the time. I'm sure I learned it from some video or the hammock book or forums.
    - ridge line, tree straps, d-rings, etc. I basically built my suspension system from dutchwaregear, but he sells complete sets. he sells a continuous ridgeline all set up for like $35 (the little stinger and dutch hooks work amazing). I could spend $500 on his site just in the hardware parts and not have everything I think I want. Who am I kidding, I've probably spent at least $200 as it is.
    - snake skins (for the tarp). these make putting it away a breeze. you unstake your tarp, slide the skins up and they cover the tarp into a nice clean little snake. If your tarp is wet you may not want to do this without stopping to dry it later - but they also allow you to just hang the tarp up (still in the snake skins) and the tarp is ready in case you need it.

TL;DR
    - Warbonnet XLC hammock
    - Hammock Gear quilts
    - DutchWare for all the bits and pieces you need

The books mentioned above are also excellent reads. I don't get real picky with the angle of my tree straps, and I have color coded strings so I know which end is the 'head' (blue for sky, sky is head; grey for feet, feet on ground) but I only slightly elevate my feet if anything.

oh one (two) final thing - a piece of that building wrap material (2'x3' is plenty) for a ground cloth, and a large gatorade bottle (that you do NOT drink out of - ever. paint the lid black, put tape on it, something)

having made the move to a hammock about 4 years ago, I'll never go back. There are cheaper ways to get to the above - but like you, I prefer to buy-once cry-once. I still have the same gear 4 years later; I consider it a solid investment, even if it's hanging in the backyard half the time.

I am totally diggin' my Lawson Blue Ridge camping hammock. I can lay fairly flat, on my side or belly. As close to being home in bed as you can get. Hang it anywhere. You are not limited to finding flat clear level ground. Hang over rocks, on the side of a slope, anywhere there are trees. -OR- anywhere there are no trees. It is also a ground bivvy tent. That is versatility. Wind? Blowing rain? No problem. It has a detachable rain fly that attaches directly to it with a snug fit all the way around while leaving the ends open yet sheltered for circulation. Guy lines prevent being dumped out. All told in its stuff sack weighs about five pounds. Nevermind the ounce counter nazis >HYOH!< Attachable rain fly, integral side skirts all around. No-see-um bug netting totally enclosed with built in arch poles holding bug mesh up off of you.
    WATERPROOF
    BUG PROOF
    lawsonhammock.com/products/blue-ridge-camping-hammock
    “I did it. I said I'd do it and I've done it.” ~Grandma Gatewood
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace". ~Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by The Miracle Man View Post
    I am totally diggin' my Lawson Blue Ridge camping hammock. I can lay fairly flat, on my side or belly. As close to being home in bed as you can get. Hang it anywhere. You are not limited to finding flat clear level ground. Hang over rocks, on the side of a slope, anywhere there are trees. -OR- anywhere there are no trees. It is also a ground bivvy tent. That is versatility. Wind? Blowing rain? No problem. It has a detachable rain fly that attaches directly to it with a snug fit all the way around while leaving the ends open yet sheltered for circulation. Guy lines prevent being dumped out. All told in its stuff sack weighs about five pounds. Nevermind the ounce counter nazis >HYOH!< Attachable rain fly, integral side skirts all around. No-see-um bug netting totally enclosed with built in arch poles holding bug mesh up off of you.
    WATERPROOF
    BUG PROOF
    5 pounds for hammock/suspension, say another 2 for warmer weather quilts. 3/4 lb air mat for possible GTG. 7-3/4 pounds for sleep/shelter.

Out on an actual multi-day hike with any sort of distance and vertical component you will morph into a gram nazi in no time flat.

And that integrated tarp.... Have you ever used it in truly crappy cold/wet weather?
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-13-2023 at 10:09.

Aaaaaaannnnd... Right on cue an ounce counter nazi shows up with an OMG! the weight, THE WEIGHT! holier than thou sermon. Hey pal, GFY HYOH.

Aaaaaaannnnd... Right on cue an ounce counter nazi shows up with an OMG! the weight, THE WEIGHT! holier than thou sermon. Hey pal, GFY HYOH.
    LOL, that's so over the top it's funny. Maybe you'll have an opportunity to go hike someday... great way to work out frustrations. And there's a chance, albeit slim, that you might learn something.

Oh please. You are a legend in your own mind. There are no mountains in the Marine Corps, only hills. I have hiked more hills in more countries than you ever saw and likely before you were even born. Now run along Sally, go hide behind your mama's skirt and pout.

Oh please. You are a legend in your own mind. There are no mountains in the Marine Corps, only hills. I have hiked more hills in more countries than you ever saw and likely before you were even born. Now run along Sally, go hide behind your mama's skirt and pout.
    Some day you will discover that you're not a young, fit Marine any more.

Oh stop, you're scaring me! LOL
    Arguing on the internet is a bit like the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard.

Anyone who claims to have hiked in the Marine Corps was never in the Marine Corps. Marines don’t hike, they hump.

Marines don’t wait around for their attorney’s permission to do something either.

And for a guy who quotes Jimi Hendrix about love, it’s pretty odd you’d flame Special Olympics participants.

Maybe CMoulder was a bit more sarcastic than needed, but I’ve read enough of his posts and learned something’s from them to know he’s hiked plenty and usually has a good point.

HYOH but if you even muster up the courage to start, I too bet you will abandon a 5+ lb sleep system pretty quickly. Sounds comfy, but on a thru you don’t need to be all that comfortable… you’ll sleep just fine with a minimal set up.

Oh stop, you're scaring me! LOL
    Arguing on the internet is a bit like the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still a retard.
    that says it all. a 5plus pound set up have fun with that. oh and by the way im the father of one of those retards
    think before you type *******

Wow! Didn't see that one coming!
    Where's the love and respect?!

Probably a little late to the discussion, and I'm not a gram-weeny... but... A Dutch Chameleon with Asym Screen is about 16 oz, and a pair of Dutch SpiderPoly 15' with Beetle Buckles is about 7.5 oz (I use softshackles on the tree end), so hammock and suspension 1.5 lbs. HammockGear 20 degree Incubator Underquilt 20oz, HG 20 degree Burrow topquilt 17oz, HG Dyneema Tarp w Doors with CRL 8oz, stakes and lines another 4 oz, so the whole shebang is at 4.5 lbs. I do carry a NeoAir Uberlight Small pad at 8.3oz for G2G situations, and a Gossamer Gear 1/8" evazote pad at 2.77 for a little extra insulation, situpon, and padding where needed. Bag for the topquilt is a Zpacks dynema pillow bag, so I stuff extra clothes and gear in that as a pillow. Hope some of this is helpful!

That's a solid setup for cooler weather.

I have 0deg and 20deg Incubators, and also a 20deg shortie (EE) for "cold but not too nasty" weather. And — among too many other hammocks! ... if there is such a thing — a Chameleon with the asym top cover. Some complain of condensation but it has never been a huge issue for me. Suspension is kevlar straps with Evo loops (similar function to soft shackles) and Lapp hitch to CL. That cuts about 4oz but there is something of a learning curve on straight strap/knot setups. I also carry a torso length of that GG thinlight pad and it is indeed an extremely useful item. Fortunately I don't need a pillow.

Images

I don't buy that no one cares about a 5lb hammock on an extended backpack. I don't. There's a reason the Lawson is called a "camping" hammock. And yes, this is a long trail backpacking site, which doesn't preclude anyone talking about the Lawson and lauding it for its definite virtues, but it does mean you shouldn't get your panties in a wad when someone points out this particular issue of weight.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

You would last about 3 minutes at Parris Island. Of course you will never know because you never had the balls to enlist. As far as hike vs hump goes I deliberatey avoided use of the word "hump" because 99% of people reading this have no understanding of the language we use in the fleet. Mainly though I did not use the word "hump" because I didn't want to get you all exited for your boyfriend.

Default Godwin's Law

And this was a good thread.

I guess y'all just don't get it. Most of us (I hope) are here for respectful discussion. We slip up at times but using words like Nazi and retard is not by accident and is insensitive, rude, disrespectful, despicable and inflammatory. Yesterday was International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Please stop with the words and with the name calling...

Could someone please delete the offending posts starting 1/13/23 and associated counter posts including this one to clean up this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++